Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh it kind of does. We're the worst broadcast team in the competition and have been for years, which means our players get continually undervalued during trade time. Again this was evident to all of us during the Neale trade and is just as evident now. I don't blame you though as it's hard to get a true gauge of a player when you've only just started paying attention to him. I for one don't see anyone on Hawthorn's list who comes close to matching Cerra's value but at least I know it's because I haven't watched alot of them this year.
I watch most games every week and have done for years, I was a huge fan of Cerra coming out of the Draft and have made an effort to follow his career so far.

Again just because we disagree on his value doesn’t mean it’s due to not seeing him.

I watch most games every week and have done for years, I was a huge fan of Cerra coming out of the Draft and have made an effort to follow his career so far.

Again just because we disagree on his value doesn’t mean it’s due to not seeing him.
Sorry but I'm going to have to call you out on that one. If you'd watched him most weeks then you would see his value. He was drafted top 5 and has performed at that level since his debut. He's worth a top 5 pick minimum.

In 2016 Neale broke the AFL record for most possessions in an AFL/VFL season and got basically zero credit for it. He wasn't even an All Australian. That was the year that Fyfe was out with a broken leg.

The next year Tom Michell did similar and won a Brownlow.

Please don't tell me it was because of Mitchell's possessions being more damaging as well.
Mitchell has him covered in almost every stat but the big difference is Freo finished 12th in 16 and the Hawks were top 4 in 18

Neale still polled 20 votes in a team towards the bottom of the ladder, people noticed he was good was just in a bad team.

Sorry but I'm going to have to call you out on that one. If you'd watched him most weeks then you would see his value. He was drafted top 5 and has performed at that level since his debut. He's worth a top 5 pick minimum.
Or we just disagree

He is a very good ball user, can play multiple positions and has been pretty durable so far.

I don’t think he tracking to be an out and out superstar, his value if he was contracted absolutely you could demand a top 5 pick.

As it stands currently I would give it up for an out of contract Cerra.

Our future first and steal knives would be the most I would offer, that picks holds a lot of value.

Mitchell has him covered in almost every stat but the big difference is Freo finished 12th in 16 and the Hawks were top 4 in 18

Neale still polled 20 votes in a team towards the bottom of the ladder, people noticed he was good was just in a bad team.

No, you proved my point by pointing out that the umps noticed the Neale had played good ( i.e. enough Brownlow votes for 9th) but that the AA committee which is largely media types based outside of WA, didn't see him as good enough to be in the best 22 in the country.

No, you proved my point by pointing out that the umps noticed the Neale had played good ( i.e. enough Brownlow votes for 9th) but that the AA committee which is largely media types based outside of WA, didn't see him as good enough to be in the best 22 in the country.
Being unlucky from the AA team doesn’t prove s**t, most acknowledge these awards are almost all very flawed.

I didn’t rate the judges before the Neale snub and I don’t now.
Its off topic though so I will leave it at that

Or we just disagree

He is a very good ball user, can play multiple positions and has been pretty durable so far.

I don’t think he tracking to be an out and out superstar, his value if he was contracted absolutely you could demand a top 5 pick.

As it stands currently I would give it up for an out of contract Cerra.

Our future first and steal knives would be the most I would offer, that picks holds a lot of value.
Nice try but we didn't develop a top 5 pick into a star player these past 4 years just to get a future pick for him. It would have to be your first pick this year which is easily worth it for Cerra.

Nice try but we didn't develop a top 5 pick into a star player these past 4 years just to get a future pick for him. It would have to be your first pick this year which is easily worth it for Cerra.
Cerra isn’t a star player though, he’s a very good one. But a long way from being a star. And certainly not worth a pick from 1-3.

Or our future first which would be the same.

Given the current turmoil at hawthorn, I doubt he comes here anyway. But even if he wanted to I can’t see a trade getting done.

Cerra isn’t a star player though, he’s a very good one. But a long way from being a star. And certainly not worth a pick from 1-3.

Or our future first which would be the same.

Given the current turmoil at hawthorn, I doubt he comes here anyway. But even if he wanted to I can’t see a trade getting done.
Sorry to break it to you but he is actually a star player.

Cerra certainly isn't star level now but I think the argument is, will he get there at his current rate of progress?
It depends on how astute any person feels they are to make that claim. I tend to believe he is going to be a very important cog in someone's midfield based on what I've seen.

I'm a believer that the biggest factor that allows an individual to reach their peak is achieving a certain maturity and size with their body that allows them to bang and crash and hold their own. The players with the higher skill and determination to compete and win the ball are the ones that, more often than not, go on to be the 'stars' of the comp. Exceptions are always there though. Sam Walsh I think is ahead of the curve in terms of his impact on the game despite not yet filling out his frame. He will only get stronger and probably will be even better because of that.

Cerra absolutely ticks the skills box so the question is does he have that competitive edge to be a stand out in the comp? Seeing his progress as a young bloke to this point, you gotta have that competitive edge to do that so, I think he checks that box imo. Not to say that it's concrete but it's quite likely and would be pretty darn surprising at current rate.

Sooo.....depending on how you feel his development is going to pan out, is he worth the high picks or not?

Freo watchers, such as myself, have seen the journey and where we feel it's going so we, at least, have some decent insight into his worth.

Cerra ain't that star player now but I'll be damned if we're not going to try and get like compo for the star quality we see in him, future wise. It's just good business ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kinda what happens when you have an out of co tract player, don’t tend to get exactly what you want.

Kinda what happens when you have an out of co tract player, don’t tend to get exactly what you want.
We'll see. Deals for players of Cerra's calibre tend to get done fairly. If you think Hawthorn will find a way to get Cerra without parting with a high end current year draft pick you're dreaming.

We'll see. Deals for players of Cerra's calibre tend to get done fairly. If you think Hawthorn will find a way to get Cerra without parting with a high end current year draft pick you're dreaming.
A future first plus something is fair, personally i doubt we will see as I am still of the belief he stays or goes elsewhere.

I am certain we will be taking the top 2 pick to the draft though

A future first plus something is fair, personally i doubt we will see as I am still of the belief he stays or goes elsewhere.

I am certain we will be taking the top 2 pick to the draft though
So if you actually gave this years first you'd be pissed? If Cerra wants to come to you guys then you should do what it takes! You never know when a draftee will be bad

Last edited:
How many stars are there in the game that are 21-22?
Very few. There’s not many stars in the comp at all. It’s not a slight on Cerra that he isn’t a star. He is developing nicely and will be a very good player. But he is a long way from star level.

Especially when looking at Bont, J. Kelly and Walsh(3rd season) in their first 4 seasons. These guys were tearing the comp apart.

Has there been any report of the Hawks having interest in Cerra? Odd that the posters have gone from being Richmond and Blues supporters to Hawks supporters.
Cerra’s much more interesting to hawks fans than the car crash that is our coach situation at the moment.

Plus I think the PSD brought a few over as well.

Cerra’s much more interesting to hawks fans than the car crash that is our coach situation at the moment.

Plus I think the PSD brought a few over as well.

Yeah, I was thinking it was the PSD thing. That's why I'm a bit sceptical of Hawks supporters rating of Cerra. Maybe thinking that a cheap kill is on the cards.

Back