List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

This is a classic example of journos producing a story out of nothing, then reporting on each other's deranged ramblings.

English plays every single week, and is one of the first selected. The club is finally coming to the realisation that he suits the 2nd ruck role better with his primary focus being up forward. When Martin was in the side, he absolutely thrived alongside Bruce and Naughton. Lately, we've had Young come in to try neutralise the ruck as much as possible to free up English to roam the ground in the role that best suits him. He isn't, and never will be, a number 1 ruck, but in no way would the Dogs consider trading him. To suggest he wouldn't be getting a game if Bruce hadn't injured himself is just wild when you consider the fact English was always in the side prior to Bruce's injury, and we've changed the ruck setup constantly throughout the year
I like your passion but i just dont see it with English

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Id trade soft kelly for the barry hall esque hard many tim english any day.
The club should employ you to flick his balls on game day to make him angry!
English is one of the softest players in the league,dont get me wrong,society loves a gentle giant but when someone as tall as him cant even play ruck ( and has shown nothing as a forward) its a bit of a worry
I’m not sure why exactly and I’m probably wrong but Tim English doesn’t interest me. At all.
Hey Keys , don't be put off English too soon. mattyc75 was not needing you to flick his balls on game day. I think he was offering GoEaglesGoSGIO the job

1st 2 picks should be best available midfield talent, regardless of where they are from.
100%, as monocle has stated this is a midfielders draft and we should fill our boots.
I'd go one step further and say first 3 picks all midfielders and the last pick (49) best available. There is a guy I'd love us to take with this pick (49) - Justin Davies from Dandy Stringrays, he's a KPD. Plays on talls and smalls and is a competitive beast, and a nice left foot. He had great closing speed, and hates being beaten one on one. Plays school footy for Haileybury which is under the Matty Llyod directive, I prefer him to Bazzo!

Instead of blowing our beans on 200cm forwards, how about letting Liam Ryan take over the gig. Darling chf, Oscar 3rd tall, Williams fwd/ruck. Our forward line will still be dangerous as it is when Kennedy retires. We don’t need to spend our best picks on anything but midfielders

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, that was an interesting read.... not so much.

In tangible news the Eagles NGA has a couple of new members in the last few weeks, and both go very well. All I will say about them is they turned up in my boys team, when I realised they weren't in there I simply e-mailed the academy guys who were very happy to get them on board. Seems not all who are eligible necessarily know about the academy.

And no I didn't really do anything special, I remembered an e-mail from them a while back saying if you come across some kids who are eligible and are interested, drop them an e-mail and they'll get them on board.

Still, you can have a BBQ in my honour this weekend - but no vegan crap, keep that stuff away from a bbq.

For those in the know (and apologies if it has already been spoken about); where abouts will Angus Sheldrick go in the draft? He sounds like a type we could do with from the scouting notes;

It was a typical game from Sheldrick with the strong bodied midfielder showing his contested prowess around the ball, and equally strong drive and attacking mindset. Sheldrick’s kicking wasn’t at his best standard and he could have kicked a nice goal on the run which ended up hitting the post, and that kicking will be something he continues to work on. His attack on the ball, however, is just about the best amongst this year’s draft crop – winning some free kicks from some courageous plays. His third quarter was his best highlighted by a one-handed intercept mark and another play brushing off an opponent with ease to kick long inside 50

Sounds like a Jack Viney type. Will his game translate to AFL? At 179cm and 84kg, he would be a lot more developed than most of the other under 19's.
He is exactly what we need, and as previously mentioned I think he's more a Cunnington type but he's quicker so Viney could be an apt comparison. I personally think he'll translate well into AFL, ready made and can play HFF (a bit like Zuhaar, which is probably another good comparison) from the get go and needs to build his tank to eventually go into the midfield.
He's captain at Christ Church for footy, so ticks the private school box and leadership.

What I like about him is his ability to get clean possessions whilst being tackled because of his strength and his ability to smash through a pack, has good hands and a nice left foot (Vs SA had a few stinkers that aren't typical of him). Can kick a big goal from 50 too. From the four games I've seen from him now, he just looks much cleaner in tight than Dittmar. But I'm greedy and want both, sign up the bash brothers!

Draft range I have him as 15-35, on talent he's easily at the pointy end but his height might put some recruiters off him so has a broad range for me.

For those in the know (and apologies if it has already been spoken about); where abouts will Angus Sheldrick go in the draft? He sounds like a type we could do with from the scouting notes;

It was a typical game from Sheldrick with the strong bodied midfielder showing his contested prowess around the ball, and equally strong drive and attacking mindset. Sheldrick’s kicking wasn’t at his best standard and he could have kicked a nice goal on the run which ended up hitting the post, and that kicking will be something he continues to work on. His attack on the ball, however, is just about the best amongst this year’s draft crop – winning some free kicks from some courageous plays. His third quarter was his best highlighted by a one-handed intercept mark and another play brushing off an opponent with ease to kick long inside 50

Sounds like a Jack Viney type. Will his game translate to AFL? At 179cm and 84kg, he would be a lot more developed than most of the other under 19's.
There's quite a bit to like about him but I'd like to see some combine results. I do wonder what that body might become pace and agility wise, not that it's everything for sure but i'd like to know just where he sits in a measured comparison of a few abilities. If you were targeting a solid body mid, he'd have to be in the frame. He certainly seems to have the right mindset and attack on the play. I personally like guys who can win their own contested ball and he can.

Last edited:
He is exactly what we need, and as previously mentioned I think he's more a Cunnington type but he's quicker so Viney could be an apt comparison. I personally think he'll translate well into AFL, ready made and can play HFF (a bit like Zuhaar, which is probably another good comparison) from the get go and needs to build his tank to eventually go into the midfield.
He's captain at Christ Church for footy, so ticks the private school box and leadership.

What I like about him is his ability to get clean possessions whilst being tackled because of his strength and his ability to smash through a pack, has good hands and a nice left foot (Vs SA had a few stinkers that aren't typical of him). Can kick a big goal from 50 too. From the four games I've seen from him now, he just looks much cleaner in tight than Dittmar. But I'm greedy and want both, sign up the bash brothers!

Draft range I have him as 15-35, on talent he's easily at the pointy end but his height might put some recruiters off him so has a broad range for me.
Admittedly some of you guys have probably seen a bit more of him than I have (one game) but I was underwhelmed by his performance in the U/19s. Looked to be very physically developed already, so possibly has a lower ceiling than many. Kicking skills looked limited (penetration and accuracy). Appeared lacking in agility. No doubting his endeavour and he was effective in contested situations, so some positives.
I’d be surprised if he went before pick 30 purely based on type.

Three absolute guns from WA in next years draft (2022), personal opinion but I think all 3 will be better prospects than any of the WA talent this year.

Jed Hagan - playing currently in the u19s team and is still only 16, and putting on clinic. Kid does not miss a target, good run and carry.

Elijah Hewett - just looks absolute class in the midfield. Had 28 disposals on the weekend for Swan Districts and 3 goals 2.

Jack Cleaver - Not as good as the other two, but still class operator who makes thing happen. Half forward who can go into midfield.

We do not want to trade our first for next year!
Correct. Next years’ group are very good. Keep as many picks as we can. These three in particular are exactly what we need. Two are big bodied midfielders which we are crying out for.

Miller pick 29
Steele pick 24
Merrett pick 26
Neale pick 58
Fyfe pick 20
Shuey pick 18
Yeo pick 30
Dangerfield pick 10
Correct!!! I'm not sure what the Eagles scouts look at but I've watched a lot of YouTube clips of the years of eligible draft picks and have gone yeap guys a gun need him, only for us to draft nuff nuffs. It's really head scratching stuff some of our selections when you compare footage. I'm like what the **** are they seeing that im not haha!!!

Correct!!! I'm not sure what the Eagles scouts look at but I've watched a lot of YouTube clips of the years of eligible draft picks and have gone yeap guys a gun need him, only for us to draft nuff nuffs. It's really head scratching stuff some of our selections when you compare footage. I'm like what the fu** are they seeing that im not haha!!!

I don’t suppose you’ve happened to post any of these insights at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back