Who feels sorry for St Kilda - the only drought remaining!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Billings > Bont was probably line ball at the time but McCartin > Petracca was inexcusable. You always go best pick available with a #1.

I’ve always had a theory that it becomes a drought when you have a player play a senior game that was born after your last flag (or first opportunity to win one, in the case of Freo/GWS/GC)

St Kilda - Everyone
Fremantle - James Aish was born in Nov 1995 + everyone younger than him.
Carlton - Oscar McDonald was born in March 1996 + younger
Adelaide - Lachlan Murphy was born in Dec 1998 + younger
North Melbourne - Taryn Thomas was born in March 2000 + younger
Essendon - Jye Caldwell was born post flag Sep 2000 + younger
Brisbane - None! - could be a next season?
Port Adelaide - None!….yet….it’s coming….maybe one-two more years?

So any club Essendon and beyond is currently enjoying a drought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints had their chances.

Getting to a GF when 16 other clubs are in mothballs is an under rated achievement.

The Saints have a premiership drought, Freo last won in the 1890s (it spawned East & South Freo who have won 40+ between them), so thats a drought.

The most recent additions to the game in GWS & Gold Coast are yet to break their duck, but hardly a drought.

Billings > Bont was probably line ball at the time but McCartin > Petracca was inexcusable. You always go best pick available with a #1.

Billings was rated by everyone you could find as top 3. McCartin was going 1 or 2 by the majority of judges.

The thing is, we don’t have a list capable of going close. Our list was shaped for the present time (with additions like Hill, Crouch and Hanners), we believed we were in a window that we weren’t even in. In all honesty I’d probably strip it back a little and go the youth route. Too many vanilla players and passengers who aren’t up to it. The like needs refreshing out completely.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They had the 2 picks before naughton & took clark & coffield.

It's not as if any of these are bad decisions at the time, it's just unfortunate how it's worked out for them.

It's still too early to say that taking Clark and Coffield ahead of Naughton was a mistake, both Clark and Coffield have had some good games and some poor games much like Naughton who didn't do much last night other than kick a goal. We need a few more years to see where they rank in terms of their careers.

I genuinely do... after the feelings I've felt since last night, I'd hope everyone can experience that in their life at least once. I've got some close St. Kilda friends, and they've been amongst the first to congratulate. I'd love to see them break the drought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back