Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

In 2020 he was played in the middle. He had a then-career best game to start that season against the Crows, and then had another few good performances after that. And by about round 4 or 5 he'd faded, then got overtaken, and pushed to the wing. Then last season he started the year on the wing, and was putting in more career-best games, until he faded again.

It's been so hard to know exactly where his best position is, because he's had great performances both inside and outside, but never sustained that form for long enough to really make an impression either way. I'd love nothing more than to be at say round 8 or 9 this year and to be talking about what an impressive two months Florent's had to start the season. Guess we won't know until we're there, but one week in and it's a great start.
Consistency has been an issue, if we can get the consistent levels of performance throughout this year it will help the team go a long way.

His kicking has improved out of sight over the last two years. He is becoming a dangerous player now.
The main thing now is consistency and he could lock himself in as a genuine gun.

Here is another guy who is un-signed after this season.
Really only Florent and Mcinerney un-signed , who we need to sign

florent is a strong b grade player and thats perfectly fine

he adds a dimension to our midfield when in there that others cant, especially with his evasion skils imo

I really don't know what to make of his performances this year. Either he's been s**t after the first game or he's playing the team role and just not receiving the ball. It's hard to tell on tv and I was too drunk/Buddy focused for when I attended the cats game to notice. The games where he's played well (statistically) has been where he's had opportunities in the centre. If he's not going to get opportunities in the mids and if the coaches are concerned about his performance on the wing then is it better to give him a chance across halfback?

When I watched in flesh he seems to be instructed to hold his position a bit wider as an outlet

I’m not sure his role is to get into the guts and packs so means possessions might be lower ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really

Why wouldn’t he want to being better numbers?
Because he is doing the team role? I am sure every forward wants to get 10 goals a game but not always gonna happen if you can pass it to a team mate in a better spot

If your job is to hold wide and get the handball receive to move the ball forward and we lose the contest or the handball goes to someone else on the other side of the contest, is that your fault?

Because he is doing the team role? I am sure every forward wants to get 10 goals a game but not always gonna happen if you can pass it to a team mate in a better spot

If your job is to hold wide and get the handball receive to move the ball forward and we lose the contest or the handball goes to someone else on the other side of the contest, is that your fault?
Can’t agree with that sorry

It fluctuates to much for me

Our mids generally bang it on their boot as soon as they can, and burn our wingers so if he's playing wing then he sees less ball. If you watch pretty much any other team in the league closely when they're losing or under pressure, good luck to outside players ever receiving the ball - its almost always a hack kick

A more structured and well-drilled mid group in Melbourne always dishes off to the outside players which is why Ed Langdon etc rack up possessions

Hope you guys don’t mind the intrusion, I’d say he likely stays as is a favourite of Longmire
But if big $$ come his way any chance he gets prised away?
Surely North have a dip and I’d hope my club does too with lack of midfielders with pace and poise

Hope you guys don’t mind the intrusion, I’d say he likely stays as is a favourite of Longmire
But if big $$ come his way any chance he gets prised away?
Surely North have a dip and I’d hope my club does too with lack of midfielders with pace and poise

He has pace and he can look like an amazing player in spurts but his kicking can be pretty bad and he doesn't find the ball enough.

Don't get me wrong, I want to keep him as I have seen him play really really good games, but he doesn't play those games enough at the moment.

He has pace and he can look like an amazing player in spurts but his kicking can be pretty bad and he doesn't find the ball enough.

Don't get me wrong, I want to keep him as I have seen him play really really good games, but he doesn't play those games enough at the moment.
I’d be willing to have a dip, have you seen the Adelaide midfield? We need any quality

What a ripper of a bloke. His dad would be incredibly proud. Congrats on 100 games.

FEATURE: Florent's greatest inspiration…
FEATURE: Florent's greatest inspiration
I'll be the first to admit when judging the player it's easy to forget they're a human with their own world.

Florent seems like a great kid, and he's been very loyal to the swans which means something.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back