Player Watch Welcome James Blanck. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

In addition to the hype thus far, I think what one of the really promising signs is that he is learning rapidly from his experiences, which is great to see and another really promising thing that bodes well for his ongoing development.

If everyone can recall that first game, he spoiled a ball right down to the feet of Rhylee West in front of goals, but now he is absolutely pummelling the ball out of the area and away from the goals.

As much as he may have been a bit crazy for not nominating for the ND, he at least appears relatively switched on when on the ground!!

Those punches at :36 AND :42 - massive!

And in the WRGAF category, can't believe there wasn't even a single one of his spoils on that pathetic Golden Fist segment this week?
We were the late show, no time for production to get the footage ready, they come from the earlier matches.

He's what Jarrad Boumann might've been had he not found some trouble one night.....

kidding, but I can see a likeness in the way he moves.

We're either very lucky or very good at this sort of recruiting. He looks that good!

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We knew exactly what he was capable of has trained and played for box hill under Sam and has attended pre season the last couple seasons. It is astounding that his transition has been this good even with all of these things going for him. Just imagine him with a couple Afl pre seasons. Sensational pick up giving us a real leg up in our rebuild. This is liquid gold.

Jarrad Boumann never showed the same level, I have no idea why North overlooked Blancked twice.

Definitely never in the same class, but had similar dimensions and athletic ability. Seemingly a screw loose though, at least to the casual observer.

Blanck is a real mystery, I've never seen anything like these two guys we've picked up in the 2021 and 2022 mid season drafts. Unbelievable pickups that are playing like high end national draft picks.

Newcombe was Martin like with his movement in centrebounces a couple of times this week. Just carved through traffic, stayed balanced and upright then delivered the ball with incredible precision.

Blanck not far behind him in terms of winning his position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does a kpd move from vfl to afl and play better? Reckon he’s showing more than he did at box hill (prob why slid in msd as he wasn’t smashing it). Amazing find.

Likely that he has a personality that thrives on complete concentration and rational thinking.
Combine that with his athletic blessings and you get a player who steps up a level and instantly has every mental and physical box ticked.

How does a kpd move from vfl to afl and play better? Reckon he’s showing more than he did at box hill (prob why slid in msd as he wasn’t smashing it). Amazing find.

Some smarter folk than I answered this in another thread. From memory I think they mentioned that the forward entries are somewhat more predictable at AFL level and the game is a little more erratic in the VFL and this helped defenders when they make the transition.

Definitely never in the same class, but had similar dimensions and athletic ability. Seemingly a screw loose though, at least to the casual observer.

Blanck is a real mystery, I've never seen anything like these two guys we've picked up in the 2021 and 2022 mid season drafts. Unbelievable pickups that are playing like high end national draft picks.

Newcombe was Martin like with his movement in centrebounces a couple of times this week. Just carved through traffic, stayed balanced and upright then delivered the ball with incredible precision.

Blanck not far behind him in terms of winning his position.
Its also got me thinking that our two mid season pick ups in Newk and Blank hit the ground running from their first games whereas some of our top 30 selections from the 2020 draft haven't even made a debut yet!

Could it be that a 19/20 year old mid season selection who has proved himself against men in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL is actually a safer bet than a 18 year old kid who has never played against men before?

Bit like the NBA in that you have to be an absolute star like Kobe to get drafted straight out of high school, most of the scouts would rather see how they go after at least a couple of years in the college system.

Its also got me thinking that our two mid season pick ups in Newk and Blank hit the ground running from their first games whereas some of our top 30 selections from the 2020 draft haven't even made a debut yet!

Could it be that a 19/20 year old mid season selection who has proved himself against men in the VFL/SANFL/WAFL is actually a safer bet than a 18 year old kid who has never played against men before?

Bit like the NBA in that you have to be an absolute star like Kobe to get drafted straight out of high school, most of the scouts would rather see how they go after at least a couple of years in the college system.
Thought this for a while, and having the physical attributes is pretty key to playing senior footy. Why sometimes I tend to think a first year recruit could spend 12 months in the gym and training before even playing would be worthwhile

Thought this for a while, and having the physical attributes is pretty key to playing senior footy. Why sometimes I tend to think a first year recruit could spend 12 months in the gym and training before even playing would be worthwhile
The problem being that some players can never develop an AFL body no matter how hard they hit the gym purely down to their genetics.

Whereas Newk and Blank were physical units (especially Newk) from the moment they were drafted so their is no risk in terms of their physical attributes not meeting AFL requirements.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back