List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

Alot of young mids need to go they had their shot.

1) West
2) Clark
3) SPS
4) Naish
5) Trew
6) Langdon

On thin ice are: Jones, XON, and Edwards. XON is a B+ player at best he can be a redden.

Winder gets one more year based on WAF then he gets chopped.
XON and Jones deserves a spot. Can actually play to a reasonable level. The rest are vanilla.

SPS has talent but doesn't get enough of it. I don't think he ever will with his knee issues. His ceiling now just isnt good enough to cover our starting midfielders if one goes down can't rely on any of them except Jones and XON.

You're obviously a small headed man. That's to carry the extra brains.

Me, i have trouble finding hats large enough to fit on my very brainy head.

I feel self conscious every Christmas when my head rips through the Christmas cracker hat.

TBH and I know he's only 4 years in but Exxon just looks like a toiler to me. I think he's afl list quality but long term I just don't see him progressing to being a starting mid. He's bench or depth imo. He's got some good traits in that he never gives up, is a good kick and relatively clean and composed but I just don't see his ceiling being much higher than it is now and I think he at best possesses average footy IQ. I don't see a genuine breakout year coming but I have certainly been wrong before.

Luke Edwards is another. I worry that a player who has a really good footy IQ and better than average skills may have lost further athleticism and speed and he was already slow to begin with.

I wrote Shep off too early
I didn't want us to draft Darling (his issues have basically remained the same but he has turned out to be a great pick and great player for the club)

In years gone by i've been too attached to what I consider good footballers but haven't been in the know enough to see their downsides in relation to work ethic or knowledge of their interviews.

I have tended to get blinkers on particularly in regards to old fashioned talls and outside players who I didn't rate at all or highly enough.

I've also made some pretty good calls as well and gotten better over time. I think my calls on Hough and Bazzo last year really stack up.

In saying that every clubs recruiting team has not only their full time team but scouts and people in between those two positions. I've learnt a lot this year in regards to club expectations on what they are looking for and feel I have a much better grasp now than I did in the past.

TBH and I know he's only 4 years in but Exxon just looks like a toiler to me. I think he's afl list quality but long term I just don't see him progressing to being a starting mid. He's bench or depth imo. He's got some good traits in that he never gives up, is a good kick and relatively clean and composed but I just don't see his ceiling being much higher than it is now and I think he at best possesses average footy IQ. I don't see a genuine breakout year coming but I have certainly been wrong before.

Luke Edwards is another. I worry that a player who has a really good footy IQ and better than average skills may have lost further athleticism and speed and he was already slow to begin with.

I wrote Shep off too early
I didn't want us to draft Darling (his issues have basically remained the same but he has turned out to be a great pick and great player for the club)

In years gone by i've been too attached to what I consider good footballers but haven't been in the know enough to see their downsides in relation to work ethic or knowledge of their interviews.

I have tended to get blinkers on particularly in regards to old fashioned talls and outside players who I didn't rate at all or highly enough.

I've also made some pretty good calls as well and gotten better over time. I think my calls on Hough and Bazzo last year really stack up.

In saying that every clubs recruiting team has not only their full time team but scouts and people in between those two positions. I've learnt a lot this year in regards to club expectations on what they are looking for and feel I have a much better grasp now than I did in the past.
I think XON is a depth player. But his a depth player thats good enough to come in and replace a best 22 soldier if one goes down injured. That's exactly what we need. Have far too many on that depth list not even up to the standard of being a depth player. I think XON is good for a contract on a year to year basis at the very least. Can't see him myself being best 22 in the long term once we rebuild the midfield and get in some A grade talent through the draft. But I think right now he is needed and useful. Worth keeping just to see him to prove us wrong and cement a spot.

I've learnt a lot this year in regards to club expectations on what they are looking for and feel I have a much better grasp now than I did in the past.
What are they looking for? As in, does the person you report to say stuff like, "check their disposal under pressure", check their decision making under pressure", "check their agility, speed off the mark" etc. Lots of players get a lot of ball, but some aren't up to it (Naish for example), while others are. Do they ask you to form an opinion on this, or document it in any way? Is there indicator to tell if a player is going to turn out like a SPP or Andrew Brayshaw?

Let me make it quite clear if either of you possum *ing, co(k suckers ever come back here, on my West Coast land with fake cowboy hats and dipsh1t jokes.

You need to understand, that it will mean.

View attachment 1488933

Keep it up .... and you both might just get ........ a ride to the train station.
Is that a Brokeback Mountain reference?

We should throw a decent offer at Bailey Banfield as well then. 24 years old, UFA and a solid B+ role player. 5 x better than some we will let go.

Worse case we push up his value and Freo have the cough up.
Freo would gladly let us have him. Theres a reason he's a B grader.

What are they looking for? As in, does the person you report to say stuff like, "check their disposal under pressure", check their decision making under pressure", "check their agility, speed off the mark" etc. Lots of players get a lot of ball, but some aren't up to it (Naish for example), while others are. Do they ask you to form an opinion on this, or document it in any way? Is there indicator to tell if a player is going to turn out like a SPP or Andrew Brayshaw?

Look i've only had the role i've had for this year but have been involved as a part time scout before and whilst i've been offered a more senior role I will be retiring next year, watching a lot less football, having treatments and then focussing on business interests in SE asia.

The recruiters and football department are getting all the highlights and breakdowns of the players in the play from someone else. I've been tasked to see how they respond when off the ball, body language when their team is down as opposed to when they are up, their running patterns and if they are just looking to play for themselves or improve the team around them.

Not dropping your head and being a team oriented player first and foremost is carrying more and more weight and particularly in close calls in regards to who to select for the club im working for is what they are looking for as points of difference. It's an outsiders opinion who's primary role in business and finance has been in reading people and making decisions based on that, coupled with my sporting history and what is now ancient history, military background.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in development mode remember. How do we use our older players to help develop the kids.

Ive just described how you develop those talls down back while looking to developing our forwards. Maybe Barrass goes forward and Gov helps the kids develop down back.
I'd develop our key backs by
a) Playing them in majority def and not moving positions. Learn the structures and one percenters, the mindset that it involves under pressure.
b) Learning the 2 roles of how to lockdown/defend & well as promoting the aggressive intercept marking. They go hand in hand as you may pass off opponents and you gotta know when to make that decision out there on the field on game day.
c) That means you can't be playing on the opponents no1 key fwd as a likely focal point you are just on a hiding to nothing if young and under prepared for it. Playing WAFL isnt always a bad thing.
d) At AFL level be given a job to do. McKenzie got the deepest fwd and was fantastic early days with his 1on1 defence. I feel like Edwards has been given the same role just isn't naturally as good. Bazzo has been off the leash a little bit more played as the 3rd tall which suits him as he reads the ball better but still needs to work on that 1on1 side of his game.

I would 100% be keeping Gov/Barrass in defence as AA level players. 3rd tall can be Edwards locking down. Bazzo can play in the WAFL for now rather than be out of position at a higher level. (Especially since as a fwd he was dead set average last year)

Fwds we have Darling, Allen, Waterman. Smaller is better going ahead and 2 key fwds are enough. We could do with a 2nd year tall already to be putting pressure on that spot but I wouldn't cannibalise our KPD stocks for not a lot of gain.

Look i've only had the role i've had for this year but have been involved as a part time scout before and whilst i've been offered a more senior role I will be retiring next year, watching a lot less football, having treatments and then focussing on business interests in SE asia.

The recruiters and football department are getting all the highlights and breakdowns of the players in the play from someone else. I've been tasked to see how they respond when off the ball, body language when their team is down as opposed to when they are up, their running patterns and if they are just looking to play for themselves or improve the team around them.

Not dropping your head and being a team oriented player first and foremost is carrying more and more weight and particularly in close calls in regards to who to select for the club im working for is what they are looking for as points of difference. It's an outsiders opinion who's primary role in business and finance has been in reading people and making decisions based on that, coupled with my sporting history and what is now ancient history, military background.
Thoughts on Sicily?

Any time I go through what cuts we might make I end up with one spot being available for either West, Trew or Winder

My preference would be Winder but I suspect it’ll be West due to his higher work ethic and training standards, which I think are what the club aren’t happy with Winder about. (Purely a guess)
Couldn't agree more, should be Winder but more likely West for the very reason you mentioned. But in reality both are fringe players, so it should really come down to who has more potential! Winder has him covered and some, has kicked 6 in the WAFL (3 in AFL) in a game, regularly racks up high possessions and lets be honest Winders possessions are more effective, plus he's younger.

I'd develop our key backs by
a) Playing them in majority def and not moving positions. Learn the structures and one percenters, the mindset that it involves under pressure.
b) Learning the 2 roles of how to lockdown/defend & well as promoting the aggressive intercept marking. They go hand in hand as you may pass off opponents and you gotta know when to make that decision out there on the field on game day.
c) That means you can't be playing on the opponents no1 key fwd as a likely focal point you are just on a hiding to nothing if young and under prepared for it. Playing WAFL isnt always a bad thing.
d) At AFL level be given a job to do. McKenzie got the deepest fwd and was fantastic early days with his 1on1 defence. I feel like Edwards has been given the same role just isn't naturally as good. Bazzo has been off the leash a little bit more played as the 3rd tall which suits him as he reads the ball better but still needs to work on that 1on1 side of his game.

I would 100% be keeping Gov/Barrass in defence as AA level players. 3rd tall can be Edwards locking down. Bazzo can play in the WAFL for now rather than be out of position at a higher level. (Especially since as a fwd he was dead set average last year)

Fwds we have Darling, Allen, Waterman. Smaller is better going ahead and 2 key fwds are enough. We could do with a 2nd year tall already to be putting pressure on that spot but I wouldn't cannibalise our KPD stocks for not a lot of gain.

In regards to talls up forward I firmly Believe you need 1 big guy who can read the play well, crunch packs and at least bring the ball to ground. That player doesn't have to be your star forward but with good ground support it helps in keeping the ball inside forward 50 and for long kicks on goal that can potentially be spoiled on the line it goes a long way in what the AFL allows now in basically a wrestle in letting the ball through the goals.

With the ongoing Rise of taller and taller athletic defenders you need someone who won't get outbodied, can maintain touch with their opponent and even bring the ball to ground 2 against 1. If they can do that and kick straight I don't give a * if they're just kicking 20 goals a year as they are probably helping another 5 through the goals and providing a lot more opportunities for smalls and your more athletic tall forwards (who can be a bit smaller)

Thoughts on Sicily?

As a player or on a personal level. Either way i think he's a massive campaigner, but he's become very good at his role in defence. Yet another smart forward who had deficiencies but has gone back and become a very, very good player.

It's much more difficult for a junior defender to become a forward than it is for a junior forward to become a defender.

Freo would gladly let us have him. Theres a reason he's a B grader.

B grade players are still good players without being stars, Banfield is a C, maybe even a D grade player. I feel like people think B grade = average, that’s not true

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As a player or on a personal level. Either way i think he's a massive campaigner, but he's become very good at his role in defence. Yet another smart forward who had deficiencies but has gone back and become a very, very good player.

It's much more difficult for a junior defender to become a forward than it is for a junior forward to become a defender.
Defender is a relative term, I don't think he has nullified anyone in his life! Is looser than McGovern in a burger joint after a night out at Hip-E.
What do clubland think of all the backchat and sooking that goes on?

In regards to talls up forward I firmly Believe you need 1 big guy who can read the play well, crunch packs and at least bring the ball to ground. That player doesn't have to be your star forward but with good ground support it helps in keeping the ball inside forward 50 and for long kicks on goal that can potentially be spoiled on the line it goes a long way in what the AFL allows now in basically a wrestle in letting the ball through the goals.

With the ongoing Rise of taller and taller athletic defenders you need someone who won't get outbodied, can maintain touch with their opponent and even bring the ball to ground 2 against 1. If they can do that and kick straight I don't give a * if they're just kicking 20 goals a year as they are probably helping another 5 through the goals and providing a lot more opportunities for smalls and your more athletic tall forwards (who can be a bit smaller)
6'5'players were once lumbering. Now 2m players can be athletic and agile. Makes it tough for key forwards unless they bring a real presence. I recall being keen to see Cameron (GWS young gun in his first year) live. I was looking for the tall forward but couldn't pick him out early- he moves and plays like a mid.

West Coast’s disastrous 2022 AFL season has officially ended, with players completing their final meeting at Mineral Resources Park on Wednesday.

Just days after an 85-point thrashing at the hands of Geelong at GMHBA Stadium, the Eagles coaching and strength and conditioning staff met with the players for the final time before some go on holiday.

They will regroup again on Friday night for the John Worsfold Medal count, while some will play for their careers in the WAFL side’s final two games of the season.

There was no flair or excitement around Eagles HQ as players drove in to reflect on the club’s worst season on record, which had them finish with just two wins and a percentage of 59.8.

Instead, players were pictured leaving with protein powder and runners as they look to stay in shape ahead of what is likely going to be a gruelling pre-Christmas training block.
Eagles defender Liam Duggan said they were yet to have a post-season celebration, which was “disappointing”.

“We had a beer Sunday ... but the WAFL boys have two games to play so our group is quite disjointed at the moment,” Duggan told Triple M.

Looks like they wont do any major calls until the WAFL team wraps up for the year.

Eagles defender Liam Duggan said they were yet to have a post-season celebration, which was “disappointing”.

“We had a beer Sunday ... but the WAFL boys have two games to play so our group is quite disjointed at the moment,” Duggan told Triple M.

Celebration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back