Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

Geez there’s some real aggression toward JHF from some north supporters in this thread.
And some incredible vitriol toward Fabian Francis in particular.

Footy is a passionate game, but there seems some real hatred coming from some with this trade.

Hopefully he gets the trade to Port as North supporters don’t seem overly enthused about him playing for their jumper in 2023.

Hypothetical:

JHF is in the draft this year alongside Cadman/Wardlaw/Tsatas/Sheezel. North interview all 5 players.

Cadman/Wardlaw/Tsatas/Sheezel: I'd be happy to play my career out in my home state.

JHF: I don't want to play for North Melbourne, I'm going to be an unprofessional pain in the arse while I'm there, and I'm going to demand a trade the first chance I get.

You still taking JHF over those other four? If yes, you're insane. If no, you're better off with pick 2 alone than JHF.
If those 5 players were in the draft then you'd make a bidding war with the other teams in the top 5 (especially if there's an Adelaide team) and you'd get a top 5 pick and something else good.

Marshall was top 15 in the Coleman this year. Only 2 key forwards younger than him in the entire league kicked more goals. Max king and Aaron naughton. What do you think he is worth?
That's quite a good performance in th Coleman medal, so maybe something like this:

The Kangaroos acquired picks 26, 33 and the Demons' future 4th round selection (currently tied to the Brisbane Lions) in exchange for Brown.

Comes to about pick 12.

Slept in his North jumper the night he got drafted. It wasn't a Tanner Bruhn thing.

Got to the big smoke though, got a hard arse coach who wanted to set standards and had a sook when called on his performances.

Fine, Noble didn't work out. We had Adams then, loved around the club, but oh Jason couldn't get along with him either.

Patch called Jason on his attitude - dropped him because he wouldn't do rehab properly - Jason has a sook and wants to go home because its all too tough in the real world.

North supported LDU through his Dad dying of cancer, and LDU's now the footballer he promised to be.

Tarryn Thomas had an awful year and could name his club on the open market, but has a personal trainer and is busting a gut to get out there next year.

We're not the problem. The problem is between Jason's ears and the poison Fabian Francis pours into that void.

What a lovely story full of faff and supposition.

Is that future 1 ours? If it is thats pick 8, ‘23 1st, Todd Marshall and pick 33 for JHF and Rioli.

I’d hope we hang up and laugh.
Sure is

ace ventura deal with it GIF

West Coast - Pick 8, F1 & Pick 33
North - Pick 2 & Marshall
Port - JHF & Rioli
We're not giving up pick 2 without getting a player or better picks than that

Happy to give Rioli for free if we're getting decent return for Pick 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a weird mindset from Port.

If they walk away from this deal, they essentially tell JHF "sorry mate, we couldn't get a deal done, go back to this team and fanbase that you've completely burned for 12 months and we'll try again next year"

We've been told non-stop that his spot at North is untenable for 2023, but why would he want to go to Port next off-season if they put him in that position?
I’d rathe walk away than give our only Brownlow medallist that has constantly shown loyalty to our club. Sorry Jason but if it’s between you and Ollie, cya in 12 months

What about the Dixon trade - pick 6.
Probably about right. We gave up pick 10 and a second. Todd is 2 years younger than when we traded for Charlie though. If Todd wanted out I would expect that sort of return. I would be very disappointed if he requested a trade though. The question is what do you think would need to be added to that for Horne Francis?

That's why it's a hypothetical, genius. What he said a year ago doesn't matter anymore. What matters is what he's saying now. North can pick between an elite talent who wants to be there and an elite talent who doesn't. If they want to pick the elite talent who doesn't, that's their prerogative, but it's a stupid choice.
Well, how is a hypothetical even relevant?

You're also offering up pick 8, which won't get North any of those players.

I wouldn’t be upset if we had to trade out drew (jhf probably takes his spot), Bonner, Sinn but no way Bergman and Marshall, mg, spp is just delusional.
Probably someone on ports list who may be thinking of leaving to bundle up.

If as reported GC are interested in Jed Anderson, think this opens an opportunity to get pick 5 from them in a 3 way trade.

North get: pick 5, F1 (Port) and 33 which is what they wanted in a top 5 pick.

GC get: pick 8, Anderson and a future 2nd/3rd (depends what we can get for Bonner/Hayes) as a future pick for next years academy players.

Port get JHF

Otherwise GC will have to trade for Anderson unless he is delisted (which I don’t see how they could delist him).

From GC perspective, they only move down the draft 3 positions but gain another solid player in Anderson and a future pick. Especially if we can trade our way to a future second pick, I think GC would certainly entertain it once they hold pick 5.

Probably about right. We gave up pick 10 and a second. Todd is 2 years younger than when we traded for Charlie though. If Todd wanted out I would expect that sort of return. I would be very disappointed if he requested a trade though. The question is what do you think would need to be added to that for Horne Francis?
Todd is almost exactly 1 year younger than Charlie at the time of the trade.

I think that 6-12 range is about right. I don't think he's as good as Dixon and more that Larkey style player.

Rawlings has clear said no to 8 + F1, citing the Adelaide offer from last year (~3800 points).

So it's 8 + F1 + X. If X is Marshall at pick 8 say then it's roughly 4200 points. Too much I think. If we take out the F1 it's 3100 points - too little I think. Needs to be somewhere in the middle.

Interestingly if you have Marshall more around that pick 10 value (instead of 8 as above) then it's almost on the money.

8 + F1 + Marshall is close points wise to what North are after I'd say. It might be case of F1 + 8 + Marshall for jhf and a future 3rd to port.

Last edited:
Todd is almost exactly 1 year younger than Charlie at the time of the trade.

I think that 6-12 range is about right. I don't think he's as good as Dixon and more that Larkey style player.

Rawlings has clear said no to 8 + F1, citing the Adelaide offer from last year (~3800 points).

So it's 8 + F1 + X. If X is Marshall at pick 8 say then it's roughly 4200 points. Too much I think. If we take out the F1 it's 3100 points - too little I think. Needs to be somewhere in the middle.

Interestingly if you have Marshall more around that pick 10 value (instead of 8 as above) then it's almost on the money.

8 + F1 + Marshall is close points wise to what North are after I'd say.
Whilst I by no means think this is a realistic scenario or will happen, I think if a player is involved then it would be a simple 1st plus player. Marshall out Horne Francis is leaves us a worse team so that’s why I don’t think it would happen from our side.
If it’s a player like Bergman, duursma or sinn like was being discussed earlier I think 8+f2 works too, but again I know we rather just use picks to keep the culture intact.

If JHF stays, going to be fun explaining to him who port rates higher;
See that butters kid, yeah Port wanted him more then you, Bergman yeah rated him much higher, Sinn? Yeah JHF you were an after thought to port. Look I don’t think they thought to much of you, otherwise they would’ve moved heaven and earth to have you on their list.
Don’t you mean, “see that kid Sinn that Port invested significantly to acquire, whom has been injured all year, but Port have continued to support him + that player Port picked with pick 9, + that other player Port picked in 2023 with their first pick”.
And couldn’t you flip it that “Port were willing to give up their two first picks in the next two drafts, + any other picks they had to offer just to get you Jason”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back