MRP / Trib. Kossie Pickett hit on Bailey Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you saying that the impact wasn't as severe as it looked, because the contact wasn't direct? And this is why although it looked like Smith be dead, he bounced straight back up?

Or are you saying that he shouldn't get weeks 'cause the contact wasn't initially high?

The former may be true. But I don't think the latter matters, does it?

A guy got weeks for causing whiplash a couple of years ago. Didn't get him high at all, but cause the dude got concussion from fu***ng whiplash, he got weeks!!

The AFL is just so stupid sometimes.

Had he hit him flush in the head with the shoulder he would've knocked him out, the impact was lessened because he hit him in the chest first so yes it should be taken into account because it was below the head and therefore a legal hit. It became illegal after that because the intial contact caused Smith to fall backwards and Pickett was turning and because he jumped the contact was made between his back and a falling Smith.

So he should get a week because he left the ground which caused the incident. However it wasn't anywhere near what people are claiming but he'll get more because the AFL won't acknowledge that the shoulder hit the chest first and then the back hit the head which lessened the impact significantly.

The AFL have never taken head knocks seriously enough. The fact that Bailey got back up should be irrelevant, if he had done that to Paddy Mccartin it would have ended his career. The act needs to be penalised not the outcome.

If the AFL were serious this would be a 6 week ban and the AFL would send the message that preventable blows to the head are going to be significantly penalised from here on out.

And to head off any accusations of bias or hypocrisy I also think that Buddy should get 3 weeks for his hit last night. He honestly does not seem to have enough concern for the welfare of opposition players and too often collects them high or just narrowly avoids getting them high.

Cripps actually concussed Ah Chee, whereas Smith was fine. The action was poor, but after Cripps got zero, you can't really justify Kozzy getting more than 1-2.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's sent straight to the tribunal and gets made an example out of though (with the CTE lawsuit at the forefront atm). Bad decision, deserves to cop a whack, but any more than two would be excessive.
The Cripps case is a very bad example because he was let off purely on a procedural technicality, not because his action was deemed ok.

The fact he won a Brownlow after it is also an indictment on the tribunal system.

Cripps actually concussed Ah Chee, whereas Smith was fine. The action was poor, but after Cripps got zero, you can't really justify Kozzy getting more than 1-2.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's sent straight to the tribunal and gets made an example out of thought (with the CTE lawsuit at the forefront atm). Bad decision, deserves to cop a whack, but any more than two would be excessive.
Cripps only got off due to a technicality and that loophole was literally closed in a recent adjustment to the rules so using the Cripps incident as an example means f all

How can you condone that action just because he is a Melbourne player?
There are plenty of other ways to block /bump another player going for the ball.
Launching yourself at their head is not one of them
I’m not excusing him, as above I feel he deserves a long holiday, but he wasn’t launching himself at his head. He was clearly going for the chest but he miscalculated and there’s absolutely no room to do that when you jump. What he did was stupid and dangerous, but it was hardly a Tom Stewart style “I want to hurt this prick” brain fart

If the AFL were serious this would be a 6 week ban and the AFL would send the message that preventable blows to the head are going to be significantly penalised from here on out.
I wouldn’t be entirely against this if it was applied consistently, but we all know it won’t be. There’s no point throwing the book in rd 1 when we all know the rules get relaxed as the year goes on and finals come into the equation. The AFLs inconsistency on this issue is a big part of the reason why players still attempt stupid bumps like that. Just outlaw the action.

Intentional won’t be the grading.

It’s basically only for strikes because they’d have to prove that kozzie deliberately hit smith high, therefore was intentionally committing an illegal act.

It was certainly reckless/careless and he might get 2 for the potential to cause serious injury but with the rules the way they are I don’t think a massive suspension is really feasible

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kind of cowardly deliberate hit needs to stop.

There was a second serious incident just after.

He knows exactly what he was doing, he lashes out with anger and intent.

8 Weeks and anger councelling, or leave the game.

1-2 because Smith was fine. Quite lucky he didn't do any damage

Physically hate this from the AFL taking into account outcomes and they wonder why there are legal proceedings at the moment. It should have no bearing punish the action NOT the outcome. That’s a minimum 3 week ban.

Wow what a comeback.

Oh wait - Club support - Melbourne - explains it.
It's not a comeback, it's a fact. Watch the vision and you'll see the shoulder hit the chest and then the back hit high.

Why does me being a Melbourne supporter mean anything? Doesn't change the facts I stated.

I think he should get a week because he jumped.

I bet you don't think Cripps should give back his Brownlow given he got off on a technicality and not because he wasn't guilty.

I wouldn’t be entirely against this if it was applied consistently, but we all know it won’t be. There’s no point throwing the book in rd 1 when we all know the rules get relaxed as the year goes on and finals come into the equation. The AFLs inconsistency on this issue is a big part of the reason why players still attempt stupid bumps like that. Just outlaw the action.
You're right the AFL has never been consistent and all too often looks to run the competition like it's the WWE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back