Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

This is my thought too.

They've won a lot of games by small margins. If you keep winning you're not looking at the deficiencies as closely as you would if you'd lost.

Similar to last year I think they'll be vulnerable in finals and hit a heartbreaking (for them) speed bump on the way through. Close wins always become close losses at some point. What better time than when the pressure's up.

Their midfield can't go toe to toe with Melbourne, Port or even Carlton - think that'll prove their undoing as well.

They get a lot of outside uncontested possession, but if it became a game like Carlton/Melbourne, they'd be rooted.

At least.....that's what I tell myself 🥳
Everyone marveled at Collingwood’s ability to win the close game s last year and tried to tell me that it was a repeatable skill. I didn’t believe them then and I don’t believe it now.

What happened in their close games in finals last year?

Close games are more luck than skill.

Geelong had seasons in the 2010’s where our abilities were masked somewhat by a very good record in close games. Then in finals, not so much.

But if he's available cheap, he's a better option than say pick 80 isn't he?

Appears to have talent, and looks a decent chance of making the grade.

Surely that's better than a rookie midfielder who's off the list in 12 months?
He's 21, he's only played 2 games in a pretty meh GWS lineup despite being fit all year. I'd suggest he's more likely a bust than a win.

Everyone marveled at Collingwood’s ability to win the close game s last year and tried to tell me that it was a repeatable skill. I didn’t believe them then and I don’t believe it now.

Yes, and no - I think you can tip the odds in your favour in close games through a combo of ice in the veins, and well-drilled strategies (such as not making Tim English take the kick-out with thirty seconds to go).

Geelong had seasons in the 2010’s where our abilities were masked somewhat by a very good record in close games. Then in finals, not so much.

I think that's exactly it. Close games leave it up to luck too much.

Winning flags is hard, minimizing reliance on luck is key.

Yes, and no - I think you can tip the odds in your favour in close games through a combo of ice in the veins, and well-drilled strategies (such as not making Tim English take the kick-out with thirty seconds to go).

That's true, but you can take that out of the equation by being good enough to not be in that position every other week too.

No need for ice or drills if you're 30 up with 10 to go (usually)

If he got the boot last year he wouldn't get anther shot at senior coaching. Finishing 11th with their list and profile is poor last year.

He puts his face out there as coach and they do better than 11th (which should be a given) then he is an in demand coach walking away on his own terms.
So to be clear on this, the 2 year extension would still involve Carr coaching while Ken's reputation is enhanced for the next job? It's a long time to keep him on the books.

I think the player we have with the most upside is MK. He simply needs more game time, can cover the ground, loves the hard ball and can take a grab.

Agree, I'm a huge fan of Knevitt. He gets a reasonable amount of ball for a player of his age, and he uses it well. He was very, very stiff to be dropped after the Dogs game. He played really well and kicked that clutch goal late.

Agree, I'm a huge fan of Knevitt. He gets a reasonable amount of ball for a player of his age, and he uses it well. He was very, very stiff to be dropped after the Dogs game. He played really well and kicked that clutch goal late.
He's a really good size, too. Will fill out nicely

yeahhhh I'll bet they are "reportedly very confident".

Just like every club is with unsigned players two weeks from season's end.

They can be confident or not. For us Im not 100% in him unless we get his as a FA

The question id ask ... is Parish a game change for us or does he just help stall the fall.

If he cost only cap space ... then great. What we can not do is circumvent the addition of young talent . Talent closer to 20 than 30... as I think we need to be thinking 3 to 6 years to restructure the side. Get 50 games into the likes of Clark and Knevitt and what evr good kids we draft. If we use 199/2001 as an example... we were back in a PF by 2004

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is not perfect. He needs to work on his game... but in the pros and cons... he has some pros that are rare. His size and his marking talent is an advantage that we should foster and nurture. Id tell him to get a kicking coach .. as he will get plenty of marks near goal... but if it was me id be playing him before a few others.

They can be confident or not. For us Im not 100% in him unless we get his as a FA

The question id ask ... is Parish a game change for us or does he just help stall the fall.

If he cost only cap space ... then great. What we can not do is circumvent the addition of young talent . Talent closer to 20 than 30... as I think we need to be thinking 3 to 6 years to restructure the side. Get 50 games into the likes of Clark and Knevitt and what evr good kids we draft. If we use 199/2001 as an example... we were back in a PF by 2004

Not sure if Parish is the answer but he would be our best mid by far. Problem is he’s just a better version of Bruhn and Clark (right now) and I think we need the opposite of those players ie a fast outside mid with elite skills. I’d def take parish though as a FA fwiw.

Hrmmm seems a bit 50/50

It seems like this handover could still happen. But I reckon if Kenny was only being cheerleader this season then they wouldn't have done this in such a prolonged way. For example with Roos and Malthouse we still very much recognised them as the head coach even with the succession plan made public.

Sean Darcy to the cats next year ?

I'd argue we're further along than we were in 1999.

If we're using that as a case study, I'd say we're in 2001 in terms of young talent on our list.

In that era, we didn't yet have these types under 25 on our list, or they were yet to show it:

• Tyson Stengle (All Australian level)

• Ollie Henry (Looks like being an AA)

• SDK (Looks like being an AA)

• Max Holmes (Looks like being AA)

• Jack Henry (Held back by injuries, but same again)

We've got these guys, who may never be 'stars' but have proven they can play vital roles in premiership sides.

• Brad Close

• Zach Guthrie

• Tom Atkins (I know, older...but he came in late)

• Jack Bowes

• Gryan Miers (probably graduated out of this group after this year)

Then we've got the kids, of the group that look most likely to make it, we've got this:

• Tanner Bruhn
  • Mitch Knevitt
  • Toby Conway
  • Ollie Dempsey
  • Jhye Clark
  • Shannon Neale
  • Oisin Mullin

We lack one more genuine elite mid, and probably another bankable key forward as Neale looks more likely to be a second forward/ruck in the mold of Rory Lobb.

But we're not far away. If we were to add a Jamarra type as well as a Butters/Rozee, we'd be pretty much there.

I'm not by any means saying we're getting these guys, just players in their mold through the draft.

I'd argue we're further along than we were in 1999.

If we're using that as a case study, I'd say we're in 2001 in terms of young talent on our list.

In that era, we didn't yet have these types under 25 on our list, or they were yet to show it:

• Tyson Stengle (All Australian level)

• Ollie Henry (Looks like being an AA)

• SDK (Looks like being an AA)

• Max Holmes (Looks like being AA)

• Jack Henry (Held back by injuries, but same again)

We've got these guys, who may never be 'stars' but have proven they can play vital roles in premiership sides.

• Brad Close

• Zach Guthrie

• Tom Atkins (I know, older...but he came in late)

• Jack Bowes

• Gryan Miers (probably graduated out of this group after this year)

Then we've got the kids, of the group that look most likely to make it, we've got this:

• Tanner Bruhn
  • Mitch Knevitt
  • Toby Conway
  • Ollie Dempsey
  • Jhye Clark
  • Shannon Neale
  • Oisin Mullin

We lack one more genuine elite mid, and probably another bankable key forward as Neale looks more likely to be a second forward/ruck in the mold of Rory Lobb.

But we're not far away. If we were to add a Jamarra type as well as a Butters/Rozee, we'd be pretty much there.

I'm not by any means saying we're getting these guys, just players in their mold through the draft.
I agree I’m very bullish about this list , could had gone B2B if it wasn’t for the injuries and lack of stability this year imo and there’s still a good core to work with over the next few years

Last edited:
I agree I’m very bullish about this list , could had gone B2B if it wasn’t for the injuries and lack of stability this imo and there’s still a good core to work with over the next few years
Spot on

In a year where seemingly nothing has gone right, we're really not that far off.

If we were to secure Parish & co and have a big pre-season to get fit and minimise injury, I'd go as far to say we'll be flag favourites next year.

The comp just isn't that good, and we're the only team over the last two seasons who have looked like a genuine powerhouse for prolonged period.

Depending on which way we go, young or old, I hold full faith our next flag isn't far away.

George Stevens has a footy brain. Is a step ahead of many.
Bloody BIG Runt !!! Even bigger when u stand next to him. Baby fat will go after a solid pre season or two.
Athletically not sure... does plod along similar to Greg Williams but has 15kgs and 6 inches on Diesel. But great quick hands!
He isn't slow and isn't quick by no means. But sees the game in slow-mo is all that i've heard of this young fella.

George Stevens has a footy brain. Is a step ahead of many.
Bloody BIG Runt !!! Even bigger when u stand next to him. Baby fat will go after a solid pre season or two.
Athletically not sure... does plod along similar to Greg Williams but has 15kgs and 6 inches on Diesel. But great quick hands!
He isn't slow and isn't quick by no means. But sees the game in slow-mo is all that i've heard of this young fella.
Sounds like a Josh P Kennedy clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back