2nd Test New Zealand v Australia March 8-12 0830hrs @ Hagley Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good make-that-GREAT (apart from the gritty Marsh-Carey-Cummins-forged win)
1) No question re: Carey as MotM:
--- 112 runs for the game
--- 10 catches
--- 98* was win-making and career-defining knock. The self-belief he'll get from that will be enormous and well-earned.

2) Cummins, absolute rock as a leader and tail-ender.
Need a wicket badly? Brings himself on to do the job, and does it, often.
3) Marsh, outstanding 80 when most needed.

Bad:
--- Kiwi commentating. Parochialism is one thing but when Sears got two-in-a-row they were orgiastic.
--- Aussie Top 5 batsmen yesterday arvo; wasteful/reckless ineptitude.

Gotta-feel-for-him-Ugly:
--- the Marsh dropped-catch. Nobody means to drop a catch at any time and RR will be feeling that one for a long time.

Summer of home and away Test cricket over.

My impressions on the team (without poring over stats, just "this is where I reckon this guy is at").

Uzzy - looking like the end has rushed up to him
Smith - now copping the LBW's that a slight loss of reflex had to inevitably bring
Marnus - still averaging nearly 50, but looks lost most of the time
Green - one great innings, but........
Head - lives by the sword, dies by it too
Marsh - been good, but for how long?
Carey - keeps well, saved the best for last
Starc - past DK, good on him, but is now 34. Batting has dropped right away
Cummins - class with the ball, crucial at #9, needs to stay more with traditional fields (as he did most this summer) when captaining
Lyon - bowls to his strengths (and knows his weaknesses) - could go on for a while yet.
Hazlewood - with modern "guns blazing" Test batting, his metronomic line and length gets wickets

Team - can't complain when we keep winning most of the time, but reckon we might have been a bit flattered by the results....

Thoughts??

England's moral victory, you say?
Yeah,
on the back of their moral 1-4 belting of India.
Made all the running via Bazballian ineptitude, enabling big Indian wins.
They don't care about winning/losing, wanting only to entertain.

I was Hell-entertained, thanks to Stokes, Muckett & Co. :hearteyes: :hearteyes:

pat-cummins-the-saviour-repeatedly-v0-ir2ijg9ofmnc1.jpeg

Interested to see how many balls they bowled around bail height near off stump.

Craddock made a pretty smart but basic observation about Joseph at the Gabba - while obviously it helps when you can bowl high 140s - when everyone else was whinging about the pink ball doing nothing after 20 overs he basically just said, well fine I will just bowl as fast as I can in a very regular corridor and be challenging the stumps a lot.

NZ were all over the place at times

I felt Sears lost the plot after he got Starc out. Looked like he was trying to bowl a wicket taking ball every ball and it led to him spraying it everywhere. Both Cummins and Carey seemed to get a lot of very easy runs.

Cummins is no mug and he handles pressure exceptionally well but he’s still a tail ender with a lot of technical flaws. With 58 runs to play with there was the opportunity to set a balanced field, bowl good areas, build pressure and wait for him to make a mistake.

Summer of home and away Test cricket over.

My impressions on the team (without poring over stats, just "this is where I reckon this guy is at").

Uzzy - looking like the end has rushed up to him
Smith - now copping the LBW's that a slight loss of reflex had to inevitably bring
Marnus - still averaging nearly 50, but looks lost most of the time
Green - one great innings, but........
Head - lives by the sword, dies by it too
Marsh - been good, but for how long?
Carey - keeps well, saved the best for last
Starc - past DK, good on him, but is now 34. Batting has dropped right away
Cummins - class with the ball, crucial at #9, needs to stay more with traditional fields (as he did most this summer) when captaining
Lyon - bowls to his strengths (and knows his weaknesses) - could go on for a while yet.
Hazlewood - with modern "guns blazing" Test batting, his metronomic line and length gets wickets

Team - can't complain when we keep winning most of the time, but reckon we might have been a bit flattered by the results....

Thoughts??
Side needs some gradual refresh before they all retire at once.

I think we need to look at the openers. We may need to "retire" them, or at least Smith depending on who is available (if only Pucovski could keep his head out of the way of a cricket ball). Marnus, out of form but will find it. Green is still getting there bit it is looking more promising. Head, like Marnus, will find form. Just needs to know when to go and when not to and not just go at one pace. Marsh can keep going. Carey won earned a year of credits. Of the bowlers I'm tempting to change Starc. He would be very unlucky but no games for 9 months, rising 35, if by then age affects his pace then he's one that would really struggle. Of course, we just don't know that but i just think we need a gradual refresh. Like to see how Spencer Johnson goes in Shield matches leading up. Fill the breach beautifully. Has the pace, ability and would be more accurate. Starc would be some shoes to fill though. Hazelwood is on fire and Lyon will keep going longer yet. World's best all-rounder (well maybe not quite...lol), the skipper, speaks for himself. Just needs to assess the bowling at the tail. It's his one big fail amongst some other good captaincy.

What is this Duckett meme
It's because of this foot-in-mouth gem from Ben Duckett after the 3rd Test (in which he scored 153, entitling Duckett to brag, of course, while England lost).
It's a jaw-dropper:
"“Speaking to reporters at the end of the game, Duckett praised India for emphatically making their way back into the game, praising Jaiswal’s batting but mentioning England’s contribution to his approach.

"When you see players from the opposition playing like that, it almost feels like we should take some credit that they’re playing differently than how other people play Test cricket,” Duckett said. “We saw it a bit in the summer and it’s quite exciting to see other players and other teams are also playing that aggressive style of cricket"".

So, England invented aggressive Test Cricket (in the form of Bazball from which they have not WON a series since December 2022), and they are currently inspiring other teams/players to play aggressive Test Cricket.

Justifiably, he's been copping viral derision since then.

It's because of this foot-in-mouth gem from Ben Duckett after the 3rd Test (in which he scored 153, entitling Duckett to brag, of course, while England lost).
It's a jaw-dropper:
"“Speaking to reporters at the end of the game, Duckett praised India for emphatically making their way back into the game, praising Jaiswal’s batting but mentioning England’s contribution to his approach.

"When you see players from the opposition playing like that, it almost feels like we should take some credit that they’re playing differently than how other people play Test cricket,” Duckett said. “We saw it a bit in the summer and it’s quite exciting to see other players and other teams are also playing that aggressive style of cricket"".

So, England invented aggressive Test Cricket (in the form of Bazball from which they have not WON a series since December 2022), and they are currently inspiring other teams/players to play aggressive Test Cricket.

Justifiably, he's been copping viral derision since then.
Duckett obviously has enough skill to be a pretty useful Test match bat who can have a solid (perhaps even better than solid) career - but, mate, just let your bat do the talking..... (and if someone hasn't said this to him in the bluntest of manners, then I'd be mightly surprised)

Carey will not give a fat rat's clacker about not getting the ton.
He will be super proud of himself and rightly so.
Cummins awesome support role.
His straight drive done the ground was a thing of beauty,also Carey's paddle shot.

Cummins is Australia's rock.
What a player.

Last edited:
I felt Sears lost the plot after he got Starc out. Looked like he was trying to bowl a wicket taking ball every ball and it led to him spraying it everywhere. Both Cummins and Carey seemed to get a lot of very easy runs.

Cummins is no mug and he handles pressure exceptionally well but he’s still a tail ender with a lot of technical flaws. With 58 runs to play with there was the opportunity to set a balanced field, bowl good areas, build pressure and wait for him to make a mistake.

Think they needed to get Henry back on sooner. Bowled a 3 over spell and Marsh was all over him so was justifiable taken off. Think he should've come straight back on after Marsh's dismissal

Back