List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe the real reason is that Bill has had a shoulder reco which is always a really tough injury for rucks, a hand injury and then a severe concussion with associated serious side affects all in the last 12 months.[/QUOTE
Or maybe because big Billy's on the piss most weekends , I agree his had his injuries and has a big upside but very surprised he didn't get picked yet this year.

Really if you are using stats to try and justify Longer's year last year to Hickey's this year then I give up. Just look at how both have played and how one actually helped the club much more around the ground. I think I might use the B and F and where they both finished at the end of the season especially in a season where we had much better players than last year. And I'm glad you agree with me on that but I'm still stuffed how the club sort it out. The only option is pushing Bruce back but that's really just making the forward line weaker.

And how does Longer become A grade if Hickeys plays as well next season as this? Unfortunately I don't see anything A grade about him apart from hoping because he is young he will improve. 6 out 19 10 possession games last year compared to 18 out of 20 got Hickey.

Hickey is so far from an elite ruckman Plugger, as good as he's been this year. He's not Todd Goldstein by any stretch.
If Tom keeps improving and keeps Longer out then I'll be very happy.

How do you know Longer wouldn't have been our ruck in round 1 if he was fit? He would have been, as said by our coach in interviews.
A 25yo Tom Hickey in 2016 averaged 1 kick, 2 handballs, 1 mark per game more than a 22yo Billy Longer in 2015.
They both averaged 29 hit outs.
Tom's been great this year, no arguments there but people underselling Longer's abilities and scope for improvement.
We are in a great position with our rucks, but when you have a young potential A Grade ruck who you've just re-contracted you don't trade them for anything.
I agree with Plugger though that only one ruck can play with all of Paddy, Skunk and Bruce in the team. its an issue that needs sorting ASAP.
Could this mean we will trade membrey or bruce

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I get playing Bruce higher up the ground but Membrey? Your actually taking goals away by doing that.
Im not sold on 2 rucks playing. Not sure if its necessary tbh.

Skunk played quite a bit higher up the ground at times on Saturday. As he matures I reckon he can play up on a wing as part of a midfield rotation. He'll probably be just as dangerous.

We've got a nice mix of deep forwards in that eventuality... Paddy, with a mix of smalls & mids around him.

I'm amazed at the number of people who name a forward line & think that's how they actually line up.

As for the previous query about playing Bruce & Goddard as a relief ruck well my point re JC stands for them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hickey is so far from an elite ruckman Plugger, as good as he's been this year. He's not Todd Goldstein by any stretch.
If Tom keeps improving and keeps Longer out then I'll be very happy.

He beat Gawn twice this year. That suggests he is bloody close to be elite. And if he plays the same next year he will keep Longer out because his top so far is better than Longers best.

He beat Gawn twice this year. That suggests he is bloody close to be elite. And if he plays the same next year he will keep Longer out because his top so far is better than Longers best.

Pretty subjective when you say he's beaten Gawn twice. Had less hit outs in both games and didn't Gawn have less disposals but kicked 2 goals on Hickey second game?
I don't mind you saying Longer is no good after this season Plugger but let's not pretend Hickey is Dean Cox.

Wtf Mike Sheehan ?
Milney ranked 4th best ever small forward.
1 Daicos
2 Betts
3 Farmer
4 Milne
:mad:

Journos always go with who is at the front of their minds and in the news at the time.
Eddie is a bloody good footballer, but his record just doesn't match up against milne. Neither does farmer's for that matter.

And FWIW I'd have Bartlett above all of them. By a fair margin too

Pretty subjective when you say he's beaten Gawn twice. Had less hit outs in both games and didn't Gawn have less disposals but kicked 2 goals on Hickey second game?
I don't mind you saying Longer is no good after this season Plugger but let's not pretend Hickey is Dean Cox.

Yes subjective but happy to run with it and secondly I have never said Longer is no good or Hickey is Dean Cox. I just think he has a great year and couldn't have done anymore and deserves applause for what he has done.

Journos always go with who is at the front of their minds and in the news at the time.
Eddie is a bloody good footballer, but his record just doesn't match up against milne. Neither does farmer's for that matter.

And FWIW I'd have Bartlett above all of them. By a fair margin too

Spot on :thumbsu:
What would Leigh Matthews be considered as ?

Yes subjective but happy to run with it and secondly I have never said Longer is no good or Hickey is Dean Cox. I just think he has a great year and couldn't have done anymore and deserves applause for what he has done.
Hi Tom, how is the ankle coming a long ;)

Spot on :thumbsu:
What would Leigh Matthews be considered as ?

He played one year that I can recall as a permanent fwd and kicked a ton or bloody close to it. Overall though he was a Rover who rested fwd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he's had a great year, but with the talent that Hickey and Longer have between them then I want and expect more.
A truly dominant tap ruckman makes a team so much stronger, and so much more capable of going deep into September, especially if our midfield doesn't quite stack up against others.

Wtf Mike Sheehan ?
1 Daicos
2 Betts
3 Farmer
4 Milne

Just shows how out of touch Mike Sheahan is , stats , goals per game.

Unfortunately this happens all the time with comparisons in all eras.
Let's just celebrate that highlights video of Milne it is outstanding and shows how good he was.

Maybe we should get in an assistant coach that can teach Billy, Tom & Lew how to play a true ruck/forward role?

I mean we have defensive coaches like Spud to help our the young KPD, Sammy to help the forwards & Adam S for the pure ruck role.

How about getting someone who played that role to perfection... a Brad Ottens type.

There's no reason why all of our ruckmen can't develop at least a basic forward game... it gives us fantastic flexibility and the ability to play 2 rucks (especially when Roo has retired). Teach them how to work beside Paddy & co, where to lead, etc. I know they've all spent some time there at Sandy with little success but VFL is a different game, played in vastly different conditions.

Taken Carlisle away from a KPD post to ruck doesn't make much sense to me. What if he's giving Jeremy Cameron a bath and Cameron gets going while JC is relieving in the ruck?

speaking of adam s...is this the same bloke that used to play footy for east geelong? biggest thug I have ever seen play if so. lost his side the grand final after belting about the tenth belmont bloke for the day at three quarter time unprovoked. got sent off and they lost by a kick

Both games we played his year Richardson and Roos thought Hickey had a better game than Gawn.
Round 17 St Kilda vs Melbourne : Hickey got 10 votes in the coaches award, Gawn 0. I reckon he had him covered easily in that match. Voted BOG.
Round 6 Melbourne vs St Kilda: Hickey got 2 votes in the coaches award, Gawn 0.

I think your underrating Hickey a bit hear MG, his had a great season and personally I'd put him top 5 ruckmen this season. Longer has the potential to overtake Hickey and I think he'll be a very good player just not sure how he takes Hickey's spot unless its through injury. Will definitely be an interesting discussion for future seasons to come!

Wtf Mike Sheehan ?
1 Daicos
2 Betts
3 Farmer
4 Milne

Mike did point out for alotof the time Eddie was playing in an at best average Carlton team, whereas Milne played in a much stronger St Kilda team with better supply.

I honestly can't split them, but Stephen was a saint so I'll go with him.

My best memory of Farmer is the Baker debacle, Mike's Melbourne supporting might be showing there.

Really if you are using stats to try and justify Longer's year last year to Hickey's this year then I give up. Just look at how both have played and how one actually helped the club much more around the ground. I think I might use the B and F and where they both finished at the end of the season especially in a season where we had much better players than last year. And I'm glad you agree with me on that but I'm still stuffed how the club sort it out. The only option is pushing Bruce back but that's really just making the forward line weaker.

And how does Longer become A grade if Hickeys plays as well next season as this? Unfortunately I don't see anything A grade about him apart from hoping because he is young he will improve. 6 out 19 10 possession games last year compared to 18 out of 20 got Hickey.
Hickey is better than Longer every day of the week and twice on gamedays. For what Longer does around the ground we might as well name a step-ladder as our starting ruck.

I miss:

L2M4G
Sunshine Saint
Aussiethunda
Rahul
Squizzy ....
Periphery
The Last Emperor
Axcellence...

Rors better add SK_MD_#7 to the list. Somewhat poetic since he opened this thread in the first place. Gone today and unless he morphs again there's no guarantee he'll return.

A most unfortunate exodus in my view.

Schadenfreuders are not funny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back