2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching this game, it is so clear to me that we are deficient in warriors. We could do with a minimum of five warriors at our club. Not talking a bunch of Luke Tapscott's but natural footballers who also are big units. That 104 point thrashing came on the back of us being too soft.
12-13 kids will do that.

Watching this game, it is so clear to me that we are deficient in warriors. We could do with a minimum of five warriors at our club. Not talking a bunch of Luke Tapscott's but natural footballers who also are big units. That 104 point thrashing came on the back of us being too soft.

Need a couple more preseasons in the gym.

2013-2015 we had the soldiers.
Players like De Boer, Barlow, Crowley, Suban, Sutcliffe, D. Pearce, Mayne were the reason why we were so competitive. They all played their role and gave it their all on line.
I'm sure this group we have this season and beyond can do that. A few more more seasons, playing together.
Blakely, Langdon, Weller, Cox, Grey, De Luca, have the capacity to do that over a few seasons.

That 104 point thrashing was expected and one of many huge losses this season. We tend to struggle, make that switch off, when teams mark us tightly and get physical. It causes too many of our players to go into their shell and yearn for the final siren. Look at the big losses this year;
Port - physical team when they want to be
Adel - ditto
Swans - have always been
West Coast (1st game) - not known for their physicality but knew that if they applied just a bit of pressure we would wave the white flag
Brisbane - Worst loss of the season for mine against a side who are faux tough

Then we had those unexpected wins against sides we should have lost to; Dees, Tigers, WB and close losses to GWS and Geelong (over there) which we shouldn't have had a sniff in. All of these games the opponent decided that a physical game plan wasn't warranted and they would beat us with their run and carry or natural game plan. With time on the ball we were allowed to play our game and showed them up.

The result this w/e will depend on which Richmond turns up. If it's their same game plan from when we played them earlier this year we have a good chance of beating them. If they play a physical, man-on-man game, like they have done to us a couple of times over here they will win comfortably (think Collingwood a few months ago).

I am not sure why we seem to draft the shy blokes who give up too easily. I look at Papley and Hewitt at the Swans and think would they be as good if they played for us? Even during our wins I don't see our guys have that gusto and bravado those blokes seem to exude. I want some players who are prepared to back themselves and believe in their ability. Not sure guys like M McGovern and Lobb are those players. I fear they will just be more of what we already have. Happy to be wrong of course if we do sign them.

That 104 point thrashing was expected and one of many huge losses this season. We tend to struggle, make that switch off, when teams mark us tightly and get physical. It causes too many of our players to go into their shell and yearn for the final siren. Look at the big losses this year;
Port - physical team when they want to be
Adel - ditto
Swans - have always been
West Coast (1st game) - not known for their physicality but knew that if they applied just a bit of pressure we would wave the white flag
Brisbane - Worst loss of the season for mine against a side who are faux tough

Then we had those unexpected wins against sides we should have lost to; Dees, Tigers, WB and close losses to GWS and Geelong (over there) which we shouldn't have had a sniff in. All of these games the opponent decided that a physical game plan wasn't warranted and they would beat us with their run and carry or natural game plan. With time on the ball we were allowed to play our game and showed them up.

The result this w/e will depend on which Richmond turns up. If it's their same game plan from when we played them earlier this year we have a good chance of beating them. If they play a physical, man-on-man game, like they have done to us a couple of times over here they will win comfortably (think Collingwood a few months ago).

I am not sure why we seem to draft the shy blokes who give up too easily. I look at Papley and Hewitt at the Swans and think would they be as good if they played for us? Even during our wins I don't see our guys have that gusto and bravado those blokes seem to exude. I want some players who are prepared to back themselves and believe in their ability. Not sure guys like M McGovern and Lobb are those players. I fear they will just be more of what we already have. Happy to be wrong of course if we do sign them.

Yeah good post. I guess in my mind the bravado and ability to "back yourself in" on the footy field comes from having blokes around you that you can rely on to block, shepherd, tackle like fury and win contests. Makes you stand taller and believe you can win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a line through the Doggies. Their percentage is so bad that even if they beat Hawthorn next week by 150 to 30 it would not be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back