List Mgmt. 2021-2022...List management.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst it’s after a poor game to bring this up, could McKenzie be our defensive forward?

He clearly is too small for the key forwards and can only take them if Aliir helps, which affects Aliirs game.

Trent used to be quick. He is a good kick for goal. Reckon he would be alright playing a defensive role on someone like Dan Rioli or the interceptors like Haynes, McGovern, etc.

Really he is KPD depth and third tall at best.

If McKenzie doesn't play every game in the sanfl next year we haven't fixed a glaring deficiency. He is the 2023 Goldsack.

Shut up Kane should be talking him up 🤦

Heaps ridiculous pressure on young players (“Carlton should’ve taken Rozee!”) and talks down blokes we need to get the best deal for (trade/compo or otherwise).

And endlessly pots supporters who want to move on from Ken and have the club be successful.

Media persona or not, that sucks.

It’s incredible how many holes we have dug ourselves in our list.

KPD, small forward, pure midfielders, ruck, rebounding defenders and the list goes on.

List management used to be a strength but the last few years has been an absolute grave yard.

I find it amazing that half our list seem to be flankers and yet we don’t have a single high quality fast rebounding defender amongst them. Someone like Saad would be great in breaking the lines and moving the ball forward with pace instead of our chippy chippy crap out of defence. Not saying we should try trade for him but we need to draft a high quality rebounding defender (hope Burgoyne takes a wing) to inject some pace down back. Burton, DBJ, Houston, Jones, all one paced.

Our half forwards, again are absolutely useless. Mainly due to structure but who ever plays there is lucky to have 10 disposals and a goal in any game and generally, they aren’t even natural forwards. Need to find someone with pace and the tank to run back and forth and get involved in the forward transition rather then continuously being stuck in no mans land. Also hate the term ‘defensive forward’. Half the time we can’t score as it is. Get a bloody attacking player in the position which A, attacks the goals, B is dangerous in general play and C, in turn forces the defender to match up on them and not the opposite.

Our midfield is a mess. To many one paced players and to many flankers we hope will become midfielders. Rozee looks like he will make that transition but at the moment, he’s the only one. We haven’t drafted a pure midfielder for a life time and it shows. We can’t keep putting our eggs in the flanker development basket. Why are we so reluctant to draft a pure midfielder? I think we should have taken Hobbs last year.

KPD, what can you even say. Absolutely no progression management in place to replace Mckenzie or Jonas who should really be asked to retire about now. Our management team have massively failed in this area when we should have drafted at least 1 good prospect over the past 2 drafts to be developing and would be ready to step in now apart from Pasini (who is also undersized anyway). Every premiership team has a strong defence. We have been undersized, undermanned and underskilled in this department for years. I don’t buy into the whole “oh but we’ve conceded the least points the last few years”. That’s rubbish and not an indication of a strong key defensive line up but an indication of how much we bottle the game in our forward half and turn every single game into a slog. Need to draft Busslinger, get games into him immediately and try find a cheap FA to fill a hole for 2 years.

Rucks, what an absolute list management failure. Which ever way we look at it. Either have our reserves B&F who were told is ready to step up if needed when we trade Ladhams, only to then be told he’s not ready. Or B, we traded a required player for absolute peanuts and our list management team need to be held accountable. While in the meantime, our primary ruck has never offered anything out of the ordinary.

Key forwards, Marshall has been brilliant this year and it’s time he is the focus and he owns that forward arc. Time to move Dixon on. We are better without him and our ball movement when he’s in the team just becomes pathetic. He may be the cause or a symptom of that ball movement I don’t know, but he wont be in our next premiership team and time to make some tough decisions. Trade Charlie to a contending team and perhaps package with a 4th rounder to get a 2nd round pick.

All in all, I think we’re in for a few years of pain correcting the mistakes of the last few years.

I think it’s fairly obvious we felt we would be contending this year and structured the list towards this. We tried to build the depth from within and have enough coverage of key spots to get by until the keys came back.

The undersized backline got us to back to back prelims. We had a developing key back and got a break glass in emergency KPD. Hayes was coming off a B and F in the twos and was very highly rated. Finlayson came in for nothing and provided extra KPP and ruck support. We had Lord and Visentini in the twos developing.

The midfield was a stuff up but it was reasonable to expect that Bergmann, Amon, Duursma, Rozee, Mead, Butters and Dumont would provide a good mix of depth and that Sinn might give us some extra speed and X factor.

I’m not sure many lists could cope with having injuries to their equivalents of Dixon, Aliir, Jonas, McKenzie, Clurey, Gray, later Lycett and also games without Wines and Boak, etc. Whilst also having your developing key back do his knee, your small forward be injured all season, your in form running defender get injured, your X factor recruit get injured, your depth mid get back flu/covid (Miles), your break glass in emergency KPD lose all confidence, form and ability, your back up ruck to be found to have significant holes in his game, Dumont have injuries, Mayes be passed it and multiple players have declines in their games ie Gray, Boak, Wines, Jonas, McKenzie, Lycett, Motlop, DBJ, Amon whilst Mead, Duursma, McEntee, Bergmann and Williams didn’t step up as hoped/expected.

Whilst I think Hinkley’s time is up and we need a review of all these areas, I think we have to recognise we had a bit of a perfect storm this year. Many players may respond after a good longer preseason and better conditioning. I would back guys like Lycett, Dixon, Jonas, McKenzie, Wines, Gray, Boak to improve on this season and give plenty next year. I would also suggest many of the young guys will also step up.

It felt dire last night but cool light of day, I think we have the core and just need to keep adding. I’m not sure we can get everything in one draft or trade period but we can pad things out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back