25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes we should only keep players who cry and dump the ones who are top 5 in the B&F.
If he cared so much for the team why would he not follow team rules and refuse to play anywhere but midfield? All about him in my opinion.
Who wants to keep him? All I'm saying is it's not a good look to stick the boots in on his way out the door. All that nonsense about not following team rules is worthless conjecture started on here. If there was any truth to it, it would be in the media.

Maybe Joey and all the Trade nuffies are right if all we have to talk about is Xerri Cola.

We've set an unsustainably busy rate of recruitment in the last few years. It seems anticlimactic this year.

I am into facts not hysteria. Melbourne in the past four drafts and trading periods have been an object lesson in how to do it. Wikipedia features every draft in detail - have a good close look of what they have done in the four draft periods up to 2020. Hysterics is when you jump on the bandwagon of a player who has played two or three good games in a reduced season of the VFL.

And BTW I did not use the term 'great clubs', though having said that, what Melbourne have done in trading and drafting in the last four years has been phenomenal. Opinion backed up by facts.
You are spot on , I especially liked the shrewd pick up of Majak Daw as a back up.

Max Gawn at the same age Xerri is now clearly looked like a superstar right??

2010 - 0 games (was playing dev league)
2011 - 4 games for a total of 15 kicks, 5 clangers and 2 behinds. Dropped twice
2012 - 0 games (ACL)
2013 - 13 games averaging 8 touches and dropped twice

Oh and of the teams you mentioned, have you actually ever seen Jake Spencer, Majak Daw, Ryan Gardner, Fergus Greene or Adam Pattinson play football?? He is a young backup big man FFS. We are not expecting him to be a readymade Paddy Ryder replacement. Just adequate depth that allows Marshall to still play forward when Paddy is injured and Heath develops
I actually came just to point out a similar thing... and instead of preparing remote learning lessons tomorrow I just looked at Max Gawn for comparison. As a younger fella I remember thinking he was hopeless... but with my extra experience observing footy, I know ruckmen take time. And some never work out. Xerri could be Max Gawn or Lewis Pierce.

Gawn in that 2013 season average 18 hit outs, however from Rounds 4-9 (didn't play 1-3) his hit outs every game were between 10-13, while Mark Jamar took the ruck load (his games were between 26-44 hit outs). I assume Jamar got injured. Gawn didnt play until Round 14 when Jamar was dropped or injured. From Round 14, solo rucking I assume, Gawn's tally went 33, 25, 48, 34, 20. The following two rounds were 6 & 7... Jamar wasn't playing but Jake Spencer was. I don't know if Gawn got injured or form dropped. But it's easy to forget that Gawn was behind Mark Jamar and Jake Spencer at one point.

Just like Xerri is behind Goldstein and Campbell right now.

In fact 2014, Spencer looked to the be the main ruck with Gawn and Jamar out early, and Gawn got back in middle of year, perhaps injury or form. It wasn't until 2015 Gawn exploded. When he was 23-24.

I am sure there's more context to what I have written above, and Gawn probably showed more promise at the top level.

Again, I just don't see why it's such a problem to bring Xerri in if it's a cheap trade and not a massive contract. He is 3rd ruck and a bit of security.

You are spot on , I especially liked the shrewd pick up of Majak Daw as a back up.

I think he was their McKernan. Was a 30 year old who could fill in ruck and play KP at either end. They didn't have injury so never played. That's different to Xerri, not that I'm against Xerri.

And you wonder why from one year to next why Richmond, the Bulldogs and Melbourne are able to win Grand Finals and we are not. Can you imagine any of those teams, regardless of positional need, taking a player like Xerri. Seriously???.

You do realise Melbourne took Majak Daw last year.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am into facts not hysteria. Melbourne in the past four drafts and trading periods have been an object lesson in how to do it. Wikipedia features every draft in detail - have a good close look of what they have done in the four draft periods up to 2020. Hysterics is when you jump on the bandwagon of a player who has played two or three good games in a reduced season of the VFL.

And BTW I did not use the term 'great clubs', though having said that, what Melbourne have done in trading and drafting in the last four years has been phenomenal. Opinion backed up by facts.
Mate you are worried about a late pick for Xerri. Melbourne's past 4 draft periods included

Pick 34 - Fraser Rosman
Pick 44 - Oskar Baker
Pick 53 - Aaron Nietschke
Pick 66 - Harley Balic (trade)
Pick 75 - Toby Bedford

They also rookied Majak Daw. Exactly who is being hystrerical here??

Is this the same facts, the Dees picked up Majak Daw in the off season for a similar role, back up ruckman. Who was funnily dumped by the Roos as they had Xerri. You have no idea. It’s time to hand back your keyboard licence

Jarryd Lyons is a different case though. Always showed promise at crows but they had Sloane, Danger, Crouch x2, Douglas.

He then went to Gold Coast and had a very good 2nd season there. No idea what GC were thinking delisting him tbh. They seem to have no idea.

If you listened to them at the time;

Lyons camp: Suns didn't rate me in the stoppage.
Media: Dew saw a Lyon, thought it was Lion, ate the contract.
Suns camp: Couldn't run, couldn't tackle, couldn't defend, couldn't couldn't...

So you then ended up with 2018 as "I couldn't run" meeting "he couldn't run" into 2019 with "I could run but still finding touch" meeting "he could run but couldn't do anything with it defensively and we've TPP constraints", so they cut and Brissie went "LOL" and took him as he complimented them oh so well where at the Suns who had Swallow and co wanted "run Forrest, run" instead, which is not his forte at all.

So Suns mismanaged a bit by expectation bias, but also had other options in that space to consider, Brissie just hard won by happen stance as they needed and he was there to fill it at the right time.

As has been discussed ad nauseam in the draft thread, ‘coops’ is exclusively reporting stk and Brisbane are in discussions over a pick swap. 9 (and possibly Battle) for 14 & 18.

Personally would be surprised if we hadn’t asked the question at least and think it would be a great deal for us.

Think a swap of future selections giving pints for M Ashcroft next year is more likely than Battle given their brimming TPP situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunstan has a choice between Essendon and Freo, he’d like to play at Essendon as he wants to stay in Melbourne, but sees more playing time at Freo and really close mate Blake is there.. Not sure what kind of Trade will be involved if any..

Uuuummmmmm Melbourne?

Secondly hes an unrestricted free agent and have not heard anything about freo before.

In all seriousness, our past season with all the injuries & the so called “ “ train yourself over summer & come back unfit, we only finished a game & percentage out of the eight. So with the guys we have & with hopefully a better run on the injury front, we don’t need to much more. Xerri would have to be an upgrade on Alabakis & hopefully Phunter, purely there to give Ryder a break, we might jag a cheap KPD but if we get what we can out of the draft, I believe we will give the eight a shake.

As has been discussed ad nauseam in the draft thread, ‘coops’ is exclusively reporting stk and Brisbane are in discussions over a pick swap. 9 (and possibly Battle) for 14 & 18.

Personally would be surprised if we hadn’t asked the question at least and think it would be a great deal for us.

Think a swap of future selections giving pints for M Ashcroft next year is more likely than Battle given their brimming TPP situation.

If we can do that and get their future first while sending then our future second it will be a big winner

I'd 100% do it. But haven' t Brisbane already filled all their list spots? Not sure they have room to fit in another player.

Or instead of Battle, I'd try our future 2nd - pick and F2 for 14 & 18.

Poor coops, reading my posts from here about 3 days ago.

[/QUOTE
I'd 100% do it. But haven' t Brisbane already filled all their list spots? Not sure they have room to fit in another player.

Or instead of Battle, I'd try our future 2nd - pick and F2 for 14 & 18.
They’re even struggling to find room for casboult or mason Cox.. so we would have to pay battles wage in this scenario for 1 season which I would personally be alright with given it is a generous pick swap which doesn’t dilute our hand next year.

Would you pay 200-300k (Battles salary) of the TPP for pick 27 (what Battle is valued at in that trade scenario)? Probably not every year but this year I would especially when we end up with 14 and 18

If you listened to them at the time;

Lyons camp: Suns didn't rate me in the stoppage.
Media: Dew saw a Lyon, thought it was Lion, ate the contract.
Suns camp: Couldn't run, couldn't tackle, couldn't defend, couldn't couldn't...

So you then ended up with 2018 as "I couldn't run" meeting "he couldn't run" into 2019 with "I could run but still finding touch" meeting "he could run but couldn't do anything with it defensively and we've TPP constraints", so they cut and Brissie went "LOL" and took him as he complimented them oh so well where at the Suns who had Swallow and co wanted "run Forrest, run" instead, which is not his forte at all.

So Suns mismanaged a bit by expectation bias, but also had other options in that space to consider, Brissie just hard won by happen stance as they needed and he was there to fill it at the right time.

Dew has done it to multiple players. He has form.

Dunstan has a choice between Essendon and Freo, he’d like to play at Essendon as he wants to stay in Melbourne, but sees more playing time at Freo and really close mate Blake is there.. Not sure what kind of Trade will be involved if any..

There is no trade for a FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back