List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
with the talk of Hill moving and potentially getting a first round pick for him, makes you think what if B.King hadn't signed on with Gold Coast, we definitely would have had the money to get him, and more than likely would have had the trade capital to get it done as well, without sacrificing our future too much.
Still a chance..?

Paddy flip? And what about De Goey to Saints?

St Kilda will attempt to bolster its ruck and forward line stocks as it embarks upon an aggressive free agency and trade period but is determined to keep its first-round draft selection.

Paddy Ryder was keen to play on but has flipped in the last week and is now conceding he is more likely to retire than play on in 2023.

It will leave a significant gap on the club’s list given he was still close to the AFL’s best tap ruckman when fit and formed a dynamic duo with ruck-forward Rowan Marshall.

The Saints board has still not given the all clear to the football department for an all-out chase for Jordan De Goey, even though president Andrew Bassat is seen to be an admirer of his talent.

But having done so well to secure Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera (pick 11), Mitch Owens (pick 33) and Marcus Windhager (pick 47) with draft selections the Saints must continue to draft elite talent.

It means they will attempt to use free agency and the trading of later picks to secure their established talent while keeping a draft selection that is currently at pick nine.

The Saints have been linked at times this year to GWS midfielder Tim Taranto but they already have inside mids like Seb Ross, Jack Steele and Brad Crouch.

Former Saints like Leigh Montagna have wondered if the club could trade a player like Jade Gresham given he is injury-prone, but St Kilda already lacks outside speed and could trade Brad Hill.

It shapes as an intriguing trade period for a club that needs a Rory Lobb-type to help their ruck and forward line but has missed out with the Dockers tall going to the Western Bulldogs if a trade can be done.

Thomas is a talent though. I’d suggest that Clarkson would fancy his coaching to turn Thomas around.

But if we can get this deal done then I’m all for it.

I think it’s more likely that North gets pick 19 as a priority pick that they must then trade for an experienced player. This pick is used in the Hill deal.

It’s interesting that the club is quiet with all this Hill speculation swirling around. It’s North who are driving it.

Saints hold the whip hand here. Hill is contracted. North will need to take on his full salary.
You do realise Jack Steven was also contracted.

As Midnight Oil once said "short memories" last year it was Battle gone being traded not happy, this year Bytel going not happy we will see what happens my guess is he stays.
From what I heard Battle was unhappy last year, that's why a year is a long time in football and the reason we could ask for top dp compo for Naz.
Want him that badly pay for him or risk us in his ear for a year, telling him neither Port or Adelaide rate him enough to pay for him.

Also Battle was contracted, Bytel not.

You do realise Jack Steven was also contracted.
So what? Steven had mental health issues and we could see he was finished in his last season at Geelong. He requested a trade to Geelong, they didn't chase him and we traded on compassionate grounds.

Hill has no such issues and we have not indicated we want to trade him.

What was the point of your post?

From what I heard Battle was unhappy last year, that's why a year is a long time in football and the reason we could ask for top dp compo for Naz.
Want him that badly pay for him or risk us in his ear for a year, telling him neither Port or Adelaide rate him enough to pay for him.

Also Battle was contracted, Bytel not.
So we sign Bytel for 2 years & he still has injury issues at the end of it, so supporters would carry on why did we sign him for 2 a 1 year contract to me is the right way to go, if he performs & is injury free reward with his 2 year extensiton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF Hill is traded, I can see us going hard after Grundy.

It makes too much sense both positionally with Ryder retiring and with Hill's contract off the books.

Given Collingwood were reportedly willing to pay part of his contract, they might take less pick wise if a club is willing to pay more of the contract.

If we had grundy and marshall I would legit want to see marshall trialed as a fulltime mid/oldschool ruck rover.

The dude has a massive endurance tank and is a great clearance winner.
Plus could help defensively by using his size to basically squash opposition mids trying to break out of stoppages.
Sure, he'd be a little slower reaction time wise than other mids which would burn us occasionally... but I seriously reckon it would be worth a shot during preseason.

Given his injury issues, 1 year seems fair but understand why he wants 2 and you'd assume he will go elsewhere if he can get that security.
I'm not sure I'd do that if I was another club though. He, unfortunately, through injury, hasn't been able to show too much. Why would another club take the risk?
I hope he stays and proves his worth for us.

Clarkson to the Roos. See ya Bradley Hill. 🔒

Clarkson confirmed?

Good on North if true. Gonna LOL at Essendon as they try and tell Rutten he's all good for next year.

If North get pick 19 I'd be going after that for Hill.

Rekon our offer to JDG goes up another 100k a year with this as well.

As Midnight Oil once said "short memories" last year it was Battle gone being traded not happy, this year Bytel going not happy we will see what happens my guess is he stays.

Bytel is another one like Byrnes where a lot of us rate him but he’d hardly be priority target for other clubs. Heck Dunston had more runs on the board than either of these two and was lucky to find a club willing to take him in as a fringe player. Loosing Battle would have been a scarier. I like Bytel and Byrnes myself but wouldn’t be to concerned about loosing them. Only one I really don’t want to loose people have been talking about is Nasiah.

So we sign Bytel for 2 years & he still has injury issues at the end of it, so supporters would carry on why did we sign him for 2 a 1 year contract to me is the right way to go, if he performs & is injury free reward with his 2 year extensiton.

I think i'd rather pay Bytel for 2 years than sign up another late draft pick for 2 years.
At least with Bytel , in 2 years we'd know for sure one way or another.

But i'd wait until someone else makes that offer first.

I think i'd rather pay Bytel for 2 years than sign up another late draft pick for 2 years.
At least with Bytel , in 2 years we'd know for sure one way or another.

But i'd wait until someone else makes that offer first.
Agree. He's had a couple of years development.
If nothing else, at least solid midfield backup in case of injury.

I'm not sure I'd do that if I was another club though. He, unfortunately, through injury, hasn't been able to show too much. Why would another club take the risk?
I hope he stays and proves his worth for us.
It would be risky. But if other clubs are interested as has been suggested, don't most players go across to other clubs on at least 2 year deals?

Clarkson to North on AFL website. Get a big black dog up you Bombers.

Hill gone for market price late first. He is not taking us anywhere. Frees up salary cap and gets us another promising player on our list.

DeGoey is a bonus better age profile and more of what we need so we hit the cup window in 4 years with the group we are recruiting now.

NWM I am sanguine about seen more from Windhager as long as we get fair compensation back....move on players that don't want to be here that includes Bytel and Byrnes as they are moving down the midfield pecking order.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well done North Melbourne on getting their man, hopefully he can lift them out of their mire.

The commentary around Hill will now make it very interesting. If we do off load Hill it will open up a lot of potential targets trade wise; Grundy, De Goey, Amon etc.

It would be risky. But if other clubs are interested as has been suggested, don't most players go across to other clubs on at least 2 year deals?
That wasn't my point.
Of course you'd go if another club offered a longer contract.

From another club perspective, to offer two years to a player with an injury history, and who has player very little AFL over few years, is risky.
Are there other clubs willing to offer two? Where has that been suggested? Just that his manager is trying to get him two elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back