List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
If we are talking about three draft picks, Henry, Dow and perhaps one other there are probably only one more to be delisted. Assuming Greshleaves. Probably Tommy Highmore.

Dusty was 22-23 at the time.
DeGoey was costing nothing but cash.

Oliver is going to cost 2 first rounders at a minimum, and $6m over the next 6 years.
And he’ll be 32/33 by the end of it. IDGAF how good he is, I don’t see how this lines up with our timeline, he’s a red flag and we’d be sinking our assets into him and away from developing a team that can grow together from a young age.

I’ll support the club if we go for it because they know more than me, but as it stands it just doesn’t make sense for us. Long term approach = not jumping at sugar hits on the way.

Now, if there’s a way for us to land him and bring in youth, I’m all ears, but the youth comes first for mine.

And he’ll be 32/33 by the end of it. IDGAF how good he is, I don’t see how this lines up with our timeline, he’s a red flag and we’d be sinking our assets into him and away from developing a team that can grow together from a young age.

I’ll support the club if we go for it because they know more than me, but as it stands it just doesn’t make sense for us. Long term approach = not jumping at sugar hits on the way.

Now, if there’s a way for us to land him and bring in youth, I’m all ears, but the youth comes first for mine.
Only thing about his age, is that not having Oliver, our best chance at top 4 is clearly with Matteus, Windy, Owens etc.

However, for the first time in a long time we've got 3 AA quality players in Sinclair, Marshall, Wilkie and an AA quality captain when fit and firing. All of those guys are the same age or slightly older than Oliver.

Max is right in between those two generations.

So if Max really hits his straps next year, you could see it as a bit of a waste to NOT have had a crack at it with those AA quality players in our team.

The other stuff is a different matter. Could turn out Dusty/DeGoey or could turn out Lovett/Hanners.

Big call! Not sure we'll have the balls to take that punt given our history and our need to build for the future.

Classic.

He's uncontracted, wants to leave and has nominated saints. They know they're not getting a top 20 pick, they're just posturing.

part of our payment for Henry can be what we already overpaid for Hilly

They think that we're push overs after the Hill deal.

Oliver increasingly likely to stay out and Melbourne do not want to trade him unless he’s reluctant to conform.

In short, was never on the table, threatened trading him to get him to pull his head in and stop running his own show
Yes this was as Melbourne described it, an intervention to reinforce that he has to shape up.

And he has moved in with Max Gawn as well in the short term. If he was being dumped, that would not have happened.

Last edited:
As much as I love it, prefer he leave his personal agenda at the door
I see zero issue with it.

You've got a player that has been stuck in the VFL for three years and only ever plays when their are injuries.

He got offered a token 1 year deal when they know he's got much better offers.

Only thing about his age, is that not having Oliver, our best chance at top 4 is clearly with Matteus, Windy, Owens etc.

However, for the first time in a long time we've got 3 AA quality players in Sinclair, Marshall, Wilkie and an AA quality captain when fit and firing. All of those guys are the same age or slightly older than Oliver.

Max is right in between those two generations.

So if Max really hits his straps next year, you could see it as a bit of a waste to NOT have had a crack at it with those AA quality players in our team.

The other stuff is a different matter. Could turn out Dusty/DeGoey or could turn out Lovett/Hanners.

Big call! Not sure we'll have the balls to take that punt given our history and our need to build for the future.

Yeah, pushing out our time line another 5 to 10 years is just another bullshit excuse making exercise. If we are that far off, people like Lethlean and Gubby should be gone. Lethlean will be heading into his 8th year at the Saints next year. He came in and was well paid to do our thorough list review then and his plan was what we implemented from then on.

So far we are pretty much back to rebuilding through the draft and writing off that whole period. 5 years is enough time to substantially overhaul a list and he had plenty of rope given to go and do what he wanted.

His trades were all paying star money to GOPs. This one would at least be a huge upgrade in a position that needs improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we don't go for Clarry. A few years ago or a year or two in the future maybe, but this feels like a really pivotal point for the club. The GF heartbreaks and ensuing 2010s mediocrity feels like it has finally washed out and people have come back this year after being burnt out for a decade. 70k for a final against a team with relatively no fans is evidence of that.

Frankly, we're out of tickets to spend on blokes that could very easily go **** up. Another botched rebuild on the back of a decision like that would be catastrophic for the club.

Yes this was as Melbourne described it, an intervention to reinforce that he has to shape up.

And he has moved in with Max Gaen as well in the short term. If he was being dumped, that would not have happened.
Clary should join the family and change his last name to Gawn.

I see zero issue with it.

You've got a player that has been stuck in the VFL for three years and only ever plays when their are injuries.

He got offered a token 1 year deal when they know he's got much better offers.
Give them a 4th rounder that they’re not going to use and maintain somewhat of a working relationship

They think that we're push overs after the Hill deal.
Makes no sense really, when the “we” of today are not the same “we” of the previous time.

Oliver increasingly likely to stay out and Melbourne do not want to trade him unless he’s reluctant to conform.

In short, was never on the table, threatened trading him to get him to pull his head in and stop running his own show
Going to be an interesting watch over the next couple of years. Can’t be under the watchful eye of Gawn 24/7. He’s a loose cannon and is obviously already affecting his teammates and their confidence and trust in him.

Give them a 4th rounder that they’re not going to use and maintain somewhat of a working relationship
That is probably what ends up happening

Carlton are probably asking for more though, fair chance we just end up meeting in the middle and giving a token pick

Fair chance they don't even use the pick though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back