Autopsy 2nd Elimination Final – Sydney Swans vs GWS Giants, Saturday 8th September 2018, SCG, 4.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Let’s be hard-nosed about this week’s preview. The Swans have had our measure since getting their act together in the second half of last season. We’ve lost the last three derbies by margins of two-to-three goals, and two of those losses were at home.

Where’s the evidence this will change on Saturday? Where will the improvement come from?

Take a careful look at the line-ups when we won three consecutive derbies back in 2016-2017. Sixteen of our players featured in all of three of those games, another seven played in two out of three. There were only four who played in just one. For the Swans, thirteen played in all three, seven in two, and eight played just one. Both teams were remarkably stable during that period, but we had their measure.

Look what’s happened since then. Three straight losses for us, with just eight players featuring in all three games, seven in two, and no less than thirteen playing just one. The figures for the Swans are eleven, ten, and five. They’ve been stable, and we’ve been unsettled. The situation has reversed.

Whether through injury, retirements, transfers, whatever, we’ve lost some serious talent along the way, with the result that while we’re still competitive against Sydney, we're not threatening. In Round 17 last year, and then Round 3 this year, the Swans led at every change to win quite comfortably on the day. And in Round 22, even though we led at every change, they ran over the top of us 6.5 to 1.3 in the last quarter.

So, again, where’s the evidence we can break this pattern and turn things around on Saturday? It’s a tall order, as we have to come up with a winning combination at the SCG, where we’ve only won once in six attempts.

I think we can safely assume Toby and Zac Williams will return, provided they get through the week unscathed. They’ll provide both finals experience and a bit of X-factor. Reid will make way for Toby and Finlayson for Williams. I’d replace Keefe with Matt de Boer. I think those are the three strongest candidates for inclusion.

Finding a spot for players like Corr and Griffen wold run the risk of making too many changes and further unsettling the team. The same goes for Deledio. He provides a bit of class, but is terribly injury prone. He’d be at risk of breaking down under finals intensity. There’s no second chance.

What about the Swans? They’ll almost certainly field the same team that beat us in Round 23, probably strengthened by the inclusion of Heath Grundy at the expense of Robbie Fox. Other than that, no changes. Franklin and Parker missed Round 23 with groin problems, but will almost certainly return.

They’ve had a very unusual season at home, losing more than winning, with the ledger sitting at 5 wins, 6 losses (and they were lucky it wasn’t 4-7). With the exception of 2000, when North were playing “home” games at the SCG, something like that hasn’t happened since 1995, way back in their dark ages. The home ground advantage of the SCG isn't what it was, especially over the past two seasons. Why that is, who knows? The question is whether we can capitalise on it.

We looked good against them in Round 22 before running out of puff in the last quarter, physically tired, and probably mentally fatigued by all the injuries. The week off will be gold to us. But it will also be gold to them…

Get ready for a real blockbuster. It will be one of our best wins if we get up and I hope to see some serious orange at the SCG.

The heart says we can win this, but the head says we won’t. And yet…I get the feeling we just might.;)

Let’s go Giants, let’s go. :loudspeaker::loudspeaker::loudspeaker:

upload_2018-9-8_0-7-51.png

SUMMARY

The second Sydney derby final will be another massive occasion, this time at the SCG, and the Swans will be buoyed by being on their home deck. Thanks to the pre-finals bye week, both teams will be boosted by some stars returning from injury – it's just a question of how many each side can get back. The Giants lost a close one to Sydney in round 22 at Spotless Stadium and after finishing the season poorly against Melbourne, the momentum they had built in the second half of the season might be tough to recover. The Swans also lost heading into the elimination final, but they were brave against Hawthorn, without Lance Franklin and Luke Parker, and weren't far away from causing an upset. The rivalry is very real between these two sides, and with the loser done for 2018, the intensity of this match-up could see it become a fiery encounter from the opening bounce.

WHAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR?

Round three: Sydney 16.7 (103) d Giants 12.15 (87) at the SCG

The Giants had more clearances, inside 50s, tackles and contested possessions, but wasted too many chances in front of goal. Phil Davis kept Lance Franklin goalless until late in the final term when the Swan booted two quick ones to seal the game.

Round 22: Sydney 11.14 (80) d Giants 8.12 (60) at Spotless Stadium

The Davis-Franklin match-up was pivotal again, with the GWS co-captain well on top until he was injured in the second term. Franklin kicked four of his five goals once Davis had been shifted forward, as the Swans ran over the top of the home side.

LAST FIVE TIMES

R22, 2018, Sydney 11.14 (80) d Giants 8.12 (60) at Spotless Stadium
R3, 2018, Sydney 16.7 (103) d Giants 12.15 (87) at the SCG
R17, 2017, Sydney 14.12 (96) d Giants 12.11 (83) at Spotless Stadium
R5, 2017, Giants 15.15 (105) d Sydney 9.9 (63) at the SCG
QF1, 2016, Giants 12.19 (91) d Sydney 7.13 (55) at ANZ Stadium

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

Sydney

1. The Swans kept Lachie Whitfield to 15 and 17 possessions in two matches this year, well down on his average of 26.4. The running defender will get tagged again.

2. With Sam Reid injured, Isaac Heeney has been given the task of going behind the ball when needed and has done it brilliantly with his cool head and clean hands a feature.

3. Ruckman Callum Sinclair will get physical with GWS big man Rory Lobb, who has struggled with that aspect of his new role this year.

Giants

1. If the home side finds themselves with an extra man in defence, Nick Haynes will take on the job. He's an outstanding intercept mark and reads the play well.

2. When the Giants really test the Swans, who lack leg speed through the midfield, their spread from defence is frenetic. The 'Orange Tsunami' must come in full force.

3. One on one inside 50, Toby Greene is just about the best player in the game so the Giants will try to ensure that he's isolated wherever possible.

THE SIX POINTS

1. The Swans led at each change in round three and ran out comfortable winners thanks to 22 disposals, 10 marks and two goals from Lance Franklin. In round 22 the Swans trailed by 12 points at the final change before kicking six goals to one to run over the top of the Giants.

2. The Giants finished the home and away season as the best clearance team, averaging 39.6 per game thanks to Callan Ward, who is ranked fourth, and Stephen Coniglio (11th). Sydney was ninth for clearances.

3. The teams have met once previously in finals: the 2016 first qualifying final with the Giants causing the upset by 36 points. Sydney has won three of its past five finals, the Giants have lost three of five in total.

4. Sydney has been impressive in elimination finals recently, winning their past four since 2008. In total they've played eight finals at the SCG for seven wins. GWS will be playing in its first elimination final.

5. The Swans are the most experienced team of the eight 2018 finalists with a combined 303 finals, led by Jarrad McVeigh (27) and Lance Franklin (23). The Giants have 143 games of finals experience.

6. Sydney's two highest ranked stars on the Schick Official AFL Player Ratings, Lance Franklin (7th) and Luke Parker (15th), will both be fit to return for the elimination final.

WHAT THE COACHES SAY

John Longmire on Franklin and Parker: "They'll both do their own separate plans. Both are important players for us, Lance has already had a jog on the treadmill and pulled up quite well, and he'll do a bit more on Friday, and 'Parks' is similar to that."

Leon Cameron on his injured stars: "I don't think you can play five or six (of them) – that's probably flirting with it a bit. The Swans are a powerful team and they run hard to the end and you always have to go to the wire, but we'll look at it and see what the best mix is to take them on."

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR…

GWS defender Lachie Whitfield hasn't been able to influence either match-up against the Swans this season, and he must find a way to break free because the defensive attention will come his way again.

PREDICTION: Giants by five points

We seem to have a pre-drinks and march from the Grand National in Paddington from 1:30.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Attacking the enemy behind their own lines!

It'll be a lot of fun. Just like the march to the MCG for last year's prelim.

Can we try to get as many people to the Grand National as possible?

Attacking the enemy behind their own lines!

It'll be a lot of fun. Just like the march to the MCG for last year's prelim.

Can we try to get as many people to the Grand National as possible?
Hopefully.

All the main groups seem to have the march up (FB, here and twitter) so no one can say "we didnt know".
Unless they arent into social media of course.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We won’t be marching, folks.
Our 6 Giants park at the Entertsinment Quarter carpark, eat at the Irish pub, validate parking (for a discount), and head to the game from there.
It’s our best means of travelling to the game.

After the horror run of injuries, I’m reminding myself that we are a stoic and determined bunch to have made it to finals at all.
I’m hoping our ins will gel enough to make a good account for themselves.
I’m hoping for a win as I believe we can.
If we lose, I think I can put up with the smug (you know).
Lastly, I’m aware that Vic press, media and commentary is already talking about a Dees fairytale. Even 7 commentary last night was talking up the Dees after that badly played final last night.
Quietly confident.
You’ll hear me losing my voice from the O’Reilly stand today.
I’m looking forward to shouting “Greater Western”, when Swans fans start shouting “Sydney”.
Go Giants!!! Be Giant and go all the way!!!

Yep, massive effort from GWS after our huge injury toll started earlier this year than last. Just a shame that we had a second wave late in the year which derailed the push for a top 4. In the end, no excuses for the team that gets on the park today, we win or lose on the talent and effort on display today, 22 v 22 (just hoping for no more effing injuries!). I reckon we can do it, with guys like Toby & Zac Williams back, fresh & hopefully ready to carve up the SCG. But we need our talents such as Jezza, Lachie, Josh & Cogs to break their tags and deliver - and Phil Davis to stay fit and finish his blanketing job on Buddy. Looking forward to the game. Go GIANTS!

After the horror run of injuries, I’m reminding myself that we are a stoic and determined bunch to have made it to finals at all.
I’m hoping our ins will gel enough to make a good account for themselves.
I’m hoping for a win as I believe we can.
If we lose, I think I can put up with the smug (you know).
Lastly, I’m aware that Vic press, media and commentary is already talking about a Dees fairytale. Even 7 commentary last night was talking up the Dees after that badly played final last night.
Quietly confident.
You’ll hear me losing my voice from the O’Reilly stand today.
I’m looking forward to shouting “Greater Western”, when Swans fans start shouting “Sydney”.
Go Giants!!! Be Giant and go all the way!!!
:D Apparently we're confident. I got the tkt order form for week 2 of finals yesterday, due back Monday morning. Perth or the MCG as I understand it. You've got to keep your powder dry at this time of the year. If we do lose I'll be ok given the year we've had, but I think we'll win by about 4 goals.
No real detailed reason except we're better than they are.

Much has been made about having underdone players but the core of the 22 selected have either played 15+ games this year or been playing the past month in the case of Perryman, Kennedy and Buntine.

That leaves the 4 players coming back of which Williams has played two in the NEAFL and MDBis one of the better runners at the club and has played 13 for the season.

Given the quality of the remaining two in Deledio and Greene and the impact they can have compared to who they replaced in Lloyd and Bonar (and I don’t think either would be able to run out a game any better than an underdone Greene or Deledio) it’s really a no brainer.

22 - HH, Tomlinson, Ward, Whitfield, Haynes
21 - Coniglio, Shiel, Taranto
20 - Davis
19 - Langdon, Hopper, Reid
17 - Lobb
16 - Cameron
15 - Kelly
13 - MDB
9 - Deledio
8 - Perryman
7 - Greene, Kennedy, Buntine
0 - Williams

So the changes to our round 22 side v swans are:
Kelly, Greene, Williams, MDB, Deledio for Keefe, Finlayson, Lloyd, Bonar, Griffen. I think the only change the swans have is Grundy back into the side (?).

My prediction is 5+ goal win

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back