Autopsy 9 point scrapfest against Saints. Rd 12, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. However at the start of the season I was hoping for 8 wins. I am still happily stunned. Think we still rise or fall to the quality of the opponent we play on the day.

I am not bothered by tough games. They are our litmus test.

I am also taking great delight in us being 6-1 against the Victorian Clubs. Yep the Dees got over us but I read somewhere they described us as their toughest opponent.
I was at that game. When the siren went the Dees weren't excited or cheering like normal. They were exaughsted. Just happy it was over and they got the points

I was at that game. When the siren went the Dees weren't excited or cheering like normal. They were exaughsted. Just happy it was over and they got the points
I am really excited about Amartey. Mobile talls are hard to find and he can arguably ruck better than Sinclair. We may not see much of Sinkers after that performance. I hope he backs it up with another great game. The most pleasing part of his game apart from the grabs he took was that he ran out the whole game. He seems to have the stamina to mix it at this level.

Swans Mark of the Week Joel Amartey

Swans Goal of the Week - Josh Kennedy

Warner finally got pinged for his back to the way we are going push off the opponent and propel into space move. (Was a good tackle that got him) Looks absolutely magic when it comes off hope he keeps doing it as it’s our best break away from the contest play.

He is quickly becoming an excitement machine with footy in hand, hope he can get more of it. Gun in the making.
Hard to believe we took him with our pick 4 behind Stephens, Gould and E Taylor. Fast becoming a legend at everything he does. There is just no stopping him. Is the catalyst for many plays every game.

Hard to believe we took him with our pick 4 behind Stephens, Gould and E Taylor. Fast becoming a legend at everything he does. There is just no stopping him. Is the catalyst for many plays every game.
Easy to believe though. We would have had a fair idea that there were no other clubs into him earlier on in the draft, so why would we use an earlier pick. It's all about balancing risk/reward. Every club would have had those 3 above Warner. Gould went a bit later than some thought he might, same with Taylor. We may have had an inkling that Warner could go before our next (4th) pick, so we moved up to secure him where we did.

Also, it's early days. Given what we see commonly in the AFL, there's a good chance that one of Stephens or Gould is better/more valuable than Warner in a few years time. If I had to pick one with any pick currently, for sure, would go Warner, but it's not the end of the story. I mean, I'd have still had Stephens making it over Warner at the end of year 1 (Warner's disposal and composure has vastly improved, Stephens hasn't progressed further (in half a year, so good on Warner, no need to panic for Stephens).

Was good enough, take the 4 points and move on. Will be similar this week, not expecting us to win by 10 goals. Side is getting tired we need the bye badly. It will probably be a scrap this week too

If we can manage a 4+ goal win against Hawks I'd be very happy, although would settle for a win. Going into the bye 9-4 would be unthinkable at the start of the season and would have us dreaming of Top 4.

If we can manage a 4+ goal win against Hawks I'd be very happy, although would settle for a win. Going into the bye 9-4 would be unthinkable at the start of the season and would have us dreaming of Top 4.

Yep 3-4 goal win would be about all we can expect. We look like a team that really needs a break. The one positive is with our bye coming later we should run the season out better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Membrey got a 2
Hickey got a 3
Lloyd or Rampe got the other 3 and a 1; the other got a 4
Crouch got a 5 and either Steele or Higgins got the other 5 + the other 1
Whichever of Steele or Higgins didn't get the 5 + 1 got the other 4 + the other 2

Think that's how it has to be.

Think I'd say the split was:

Higgins 5 + 1
Crouch 5
Rampe 4
Steele 4 + 2
Hickey 3
Lloyd 3 + 1
Membrey 2

Dunno if there's another split that works.

Did anyone have Lloyd that far up? Maybe it’s my expectation but thought he had a number of what the you know what moments

He was great. He and Cunningham have been awesome down back over the last month.

Having 3 St Kilda players in the top 3 makes me wonder how the coaches voted. Bit weird, but makes me question how Ratten saw the game of he's giving do little points to the opposition

Having 3 St Kilda players in the top 3 makes me wonder how the coaches voted. But weird

I feel like their best players were better whereas we had more of a team performance. Not too many weak links but no major star performances, besides Hickey who I thought was BOG.

Six games with final margin below ten points. Surely a record, even for us, in half a season.
We're 3-3 from those, a pretty good return for a club still lacking in experience. Last year we would have been 1-5.

It's great how we just keep on coming. At least half ourgames so far we've fallen behidn by at least 3 goals. Not the case yesterday but great to see a young side that never gives up.

Amartey looked good. Agree about Warner. He's fearless in the clinches and really good on the outside.

Interesting selection issues when Naismith gets fit. Can we play him and Hickey? Generally I'd say one big ruck and then a mobile bakcup like Amarty, Reid etc.

AFL Coaches votes

20 players have scored coaches votes across 12 rounds with 8 (*) players 22 years or under!

AFL Coaches Association’s AFL Champion Player Award

Leaderboard for Swans
TotalU22
Tom Hickey
31​
Callum Mills
24​
Isaac Heeney
23​
Lance Franklin
17​
Jake Lloyd
13​
Sam Wicks
10​
Luke Parker
10​
Errol Gulden
9​
Sam Reid
8​
Tom McCartin
8​
Jordan Dawson
8​
Tom Papley
8​
Josh Kennedy
6​
Dane Rampe
6​
Oliver Florent
5​
Braeden Campbell
5​
Harry Cunningham
4​
Chad Warner
4​
Hayden McLean
2​
Will Hayward
1​

Round 1 Brisbane Lions
10 Callum Mills (SYD)
7 Errol Gulden (SYD)
7 Tom Hickey (SYD)
3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R1: Dusty, Tex, Baz off to a flyer in 2021
The coaches' votes are in for the opening round of the 2021 AFL Toyota Premiership Season
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 2 Adelaide Crows
5 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
2 Errol Gulden (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R2: Star Pie on the rise, no 10 for Dusty
The coaches' votes are in for round two of the 2021 AFL Toyota Premiership Season
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 3 Richmond
10 Sam Wicks (SYD)
7 Tom Papley (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
4 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Callum Mills (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R3: 10-vote Tex surges clear, Swans dominate
The coaches' votes are in for round three of the 2021 AFL Toyota Premiership Season
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 4 Essendon
10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R4: Demons trio on the march, no 10 for Toby
The coaches' votes are in for round four of the 2021 AFL Toyota Premiership Season
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 5 GWS
9 Lance Franklin (SYD)
1 Will Hayward (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R5: Gun Dog's day out, big Demon leads the way
The coaches' votes are in for round five of the 2021 AFL Toyota Premiership Season
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 6 GCS
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R6: Macrae denied 10, which Christian came out on top?
The coaches' votes are in for round six of the 2021 AFL Toyota Premiership Season
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 7 Geelong
10 Tom Hickey (SYD)
3 Oliver Florent (SYD)
3 Tom McCartin (SYD)
1 Hayden McLean (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R7: Blues jet polls again, resurgent Swan gets 10
The coaches' votes are in for round seven of the 2021 AFL Toyota Premiership Season
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 8 Melbourne
7 Callum Mills (SYD)
1 Tom Hickey (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R8: Young Lion takes the lead, only three perfect 10s
The coaches' votes are in for round eight of the 2021 AFL Toyota Premiership Season
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 9 Collingwood
9 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
5 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
4 Callum Mills (SYD)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Hayden McLean (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R9: Clarry closes in, no 10 for Dusty
Melbourne's Clayton Oliver is hot on the heels of Brisbane's Hugh McCluggage
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 10 Freemantle
8 Lance Franklin (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R10: 41-disposal game SNUBBED, new overall leader
Check out all the R10 votes in the AFLCA champion player award
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 11 Carlton
10 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
4 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
3 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
1 Tom Papley (SYD)

Coaches' votes, R11: Forgotten Saint's big day, star Dee extends lead
Check out all the R11 votes in the AFLCA champion player award
www.afl.com.au
www.afl.com.au
Round 12 St Kilda
4 Dane Rampe (SYD)
4 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)

Leaderboard
68 Clayton Oliver MELB
60 Marcus Bontempelli WB
55 Darcy Parish ESS
50 Hugh McCluggage BL
49 Max Gawn MELB
48 Zach Merrett ESS
48 Samuel Walsh CARL
47 Touk Miller GCFC

Last edited:
I feel like their best players were better whereas we had more of a team performance. Not too many weak links but no major star performances, besides Hickey who I thought was BOG.
Ehhhh, I still think you should show a certain amount of respect to the winning team, and maybe 2 of the top 3, but for 3 of the top 3 seems a bit odd.
Also massive split between who longmire and Ratten rated, so it's probably Ratten being a little different from most coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back