Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coming from a Melbourne supporter, you sound like a knob. Shut up and talk about trades and less this whole "care for your players" PR garbage. You're not a representative of the MFC and you're not in a position to have the slightest club what's happening internally at Carlton

You are 100% right - let the player choose. Now I'm allowed an opinion?

Mr Bell take the best deal you can get & move on. What part of " IMHO Carlton would be mad to offer 6 unless Cerra can play KPD or Ruck Forward role - But that's up to Carlton not me. "

Last edited:
I just don’t see where the demand is going to come from to justify picks in top 10.
As I mentioned earlier, you can only sell to what the highest bidder is.

You wouldn’t go to a property auction and offer 200k higher then the next bidder because the seller wanted you to. It doesn’t work like that.

Cerra is out of contract, there’s not a pile of clubs lining up for him or are super desperate to sign him. It’s probably a bad year for this to happen but it’s the lay of the land right now.

It’s comparable to trying to sell your Ferrari down at the local market, you won’t find any buyers willing to pay what you want forcing you to take what’s best on the table. (22FF / Split pick 6)

Selling to the highest bidder doesn't work when the player that's leaving gets to nominate which club they want to go to, and the player's original club is left dealing with only that club.

Despite this, clubs seem to generally deal in good faith with these deals knowing they could be on the receiving end one day. If it was as cutthroat as you said, you'd see more clubs using the PSD instead of trading, Carlton doesn't give up pick 8 for Saad (they would've split it like you're suggesting) and Cameron doesn't go for three firsts etc.

That being said, the limitation is usually what a club has to trade. You don't see teams trading away key pieces or moving heaven and earth to get into the top 10 to satisfy a club. Realistically if Cerra chooses Melbourne, Freo are over a barrel and would end up taking unders to what Carlton would offer has he choose them (which I think would involve pick 6).

Prediction: he gets to the Dees in a very late final day deal. I don’t think we know what that looks like as Melbourne will wheel and deal to improve their draft hand to satisfy Freo - Weideman will move before the Cerra trade for example.

Prediction: he gets to the Dees in a very late final day deal. I don’t think we know what that looks like as Melbourne will wheel and deal to improve their draft hand to satisfy Freo - Weideman will move before the Cerra trade for example.

I'm hoping for a bit more dramatic scenario - Freo and Melbourne can't get the deal done, North realizes PSD is suddenly a possibility so they run back to Richmond to do a deal for CCJ, Richmond who have been pissed off all trade period decide to fleece North for a future first and no one ends up agreeing on anything.

The saga continues..

Carlton have Weitering, De Koning and McKay. Their midfield needs class. The whole don’t spend an early pick on a mid is ludicrous.

Ok - fair call. Now this is only an opinion

1. Weitering needs help - as a follower of the National game defense is becoming more and more important
  2. De Koning - early in his career, I'm pegging him in 3-4 years as number 1 ruck
  3. McKay - needs help. If Curnow gets his body right Bingo - but there has to be a little doubt he lasts 22 games every year for the next 10 years.

Cerra hell yes, if he chooses Carlton. If you are pre-paired to play him on a wing 2-3 years, let his body mature and them move more inside. Let the player develop at their own pace.

But at the end of the day - over to Cook and the new team - take zero notice of me. Great get knows way more about footy than I do. If he wants Cerra - yip fine.

If Carlton picked up a player like Cerra at 6 I’d be stoked. He is 22 ffs.

Good call IF is the huge debate. What is better 6 or 2 x 1st Round picks for Freo in this draft considering where the WA kids are going to land?

I cant help you there - over to Mr Bell.

Please - freo fans dont smash me for considering 6 its only spitballing and some friendly banter.

Ok - fair call. Now this is only an opinion

1. Weitering needs help - as a follower of the National game defense is becoming more and more important
  2. De Koning - early in his career, I'm pegging him in 3-4 years as number 1 ruck
  3. McKay - needs help. If Curnow gets his body right Bingo - but there has to be a little doubt he lasts 22 games every year for the next 10 years.

Cerra hell yes, if he chooses Carlton. If you are pre-paired to play him on a wing 2-3 years, let his body mature and them move more inside. Let the player develop at their own pace.

But at the end of the day - over to Cook and the new team - take zero notice of me. Great get knows way more about footy than I do. If he wants Cerra - yip fine.
You act like Cerra is as skinny as a Broom stick? He currently starts in our midfield and has no problems?? He would start in Carltons midfield…. Cripps, Walsh and Cerra.

just a question. You mention that Carlton need KPD and Rucks etc and would be mad to offer Pick 6. Do you think if you Picked a Ruck or KPD at 6 they would develop faster than Deckoning or Cerra?

Good call IF is the huge debate. What is better 6 or 2 x 1st Round picks for Freo in this draft considering where the WA kids are going to land?

Id say Pick 6 everyday of the week considering the 2 firsts you would offer would likely be later than 20 after push backs

Freo can just trade pick 6/8 down if that‘s what they’re after? They’ll most have 25/F2 to work with as well.

You’re a very simple person.

If Carlton picked up a player like Cerra at 6 I’d be stoked. He is 22 ffs.
That’s the weirdest to me about the supporters who don’t want to give up a top 10 to get Cerra, every single one of them would be stoked if the player they get this year is as good as Cerra in 4 years. I know this because there is not one Freo supporter who thinks Cerra hasn’t played to the pick he was drafted at.

The actual chances of getting someone definitively better than Cerra are slim but the mystery box often wins on BF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of the clubs with Top 10 picks the only one I would see willing to trade theirs would be the Tigers.

Richmond may have an interest in Weideman (With Chol and Coleman-Jones leaving) then something could be done. But it would need at least three to work out a trade.

Out of the clubs with Top 10 picks the only one I would see willing to trade theirs would be the Tigers.

Richmond may have an interest in Weideman (With Chol and Coleman-Jones leaving) then something could be done. But it would need at least three to work out a trade.
I think they’d be one of the least likely. They are going to have heaps of picks, so the incentive for them is to package them up and move higher, not break them apart and get more or a player. There’s only so many list spots available in the end.

GC would be the only top 10 pick available IMO because young players have less value to them but there isn’t anything Melbourne would be willing to give up that gets close to 3.

If he picks Melbourne, I think you’d have to have some plan to get GWS pick 12 and do that and a future 1st but even that is a pretty eh trade for Freo to be honest, probably close enough we’d just have to take the L and move on though

If he picks Melbourne, I think you’d have to have some plan to get GWS pick 12 and do that and a future 1st but even that is a pretty eh trade for Freo to be honest, probably close enough we’d just have to take the L and move on though

I would be surprised if Freo accepted that, if the shoe was on the other foot I would be peeved.

Yeah I spent 10 years of my life listen too

1/ Demons paid too much for Lever
2/ We should not have given up pick 6 for May - we should have waited till PSD and got him for free
3/ Tmac & ANB are spuds that we need to give them away for a can of coke and a pack of chips
4/ The bloke that recruited Maxy Gawn was a told spud picking him at 37
5/ Salems a dud compared to that GWS player
6/ Peter Bell is expletive, expletive, expletive
7/ SACK the coach

The list could go on and on. Never agreed with one of them - but such is life. Trades some you win some you lose, all part of the game called AFL footy.

Just not sure I was the only one that left - but hey I'm a "simple bloke or a knob" I just prefer watching good footy and not having to listen to all these AFL genius at Games. Tigers went alright when I was there, as a supporter. Goody, Choco & Yze are back Demons going alright - footy great to watch.

Oh but thats right I'm a Demon because Big Footy dont have a classification for - National AFL footy supporter. Ahhh such is life. PS Im a huge GWS supporter 2016+ refreshing, building an awesome culture.

Now to Cerra - Why dont Bombers get in there?

Selling to the highest bidder doesn't work when the player that's leaving gets to nominate which club they want to go to, and the player's original club is left dealing with only that club.

Despite this, clubs seem to generally deal in good faith with these deals knowing they could be on the receiving end one day. If it was as cutthroat as you said, you'd see more clubs using the PSD instead of trading, Carlton doesn't give up pick 8 for Saad (they would've split it like you're suggesting) and Cameron doesn't go for three firsts etc.

That being said, the limitation is usually what a club has to trade. You don't see teams trading away key pieces or moving heaven and earth to get into the top 10 to satisfy a club. Realistically if Cerra chooses Melbourne, Freo are over a barrel and would end up taking unders to what Carlton would offer has he choose them (which I think would involve pick 6).

More common sense - well said. Hope you dont get smashed for saying pick 6 sounds fair. I got totally smashed by some fellow Dockers fans.

I had to raise the white flag and agree with them 6 & 24 or take a walk.

Cue the Carlton supporters "you are such a simple bloke" - we are never paying 6 & 24 - classic Bigfooty.

Last edited:

There's no way we would give up a top 10 pick for Weideman.

The only way we'd trade out first pick is to move further up the draft order or for an elite young mid.

Someone forgot to tell the Hawks about the whole not having to get a top 10 pick thing.

Despite my previous commentary, if one reads between the lines it looks like he is favouring the Dees. Channel 10 interviewed him over the weekend and he said he hasn't made up his mind, but there was an indication he would nomiate a club. You'd think if that club was Carlton he'd just get the ball rolling. If it was Melbourne he'd definitely be waiting until after next weekend.

There's no way we would give up a top 10 pick for Weideman.

The only way we'd trade out first pick is to move further up the draft order or for an elite young mid.

I agree with you - I would not fall off my chair if you target GWS or GC early pick. 7 & plus ... get the kid you want. "more kids" at GC yah nay ... plus CC surely would take your call, win-win deal all round. Take 20 seconds for AFL to tick that one off - nothing to look at here move along.

But its over to your boys at H/Q they have a pretty good record 3 out of the last 4 flags.

Last edited:
Despite my previous commentary, if one reads between the lines it looks like he is favouring the Dees. Channel 10 interviewed him over the weekend and he said he hasn't made up his mind, but there was an indication he would nomiate a club. You'd think if that club was Carlton he'd just get the ball rolling. If it was Melbourne he'd definitely be waiting until after next weekend.
He can choose Melbourne as much as he wants mate but if they do not have the Picks and do not want to part with any Decent Players then it simply won't get done.

Possibly but having watched him all this year making a decision he is both a very considerate decision maker and very good at not showing his cards when he has made a decision. Some players you just know where they are at. Less so with Cerra.

Someone forgot to tell the Hawks about the whole not having to get a top 10 pick thing.

While it was a criticised trade, I don't think trading future first (projected to be pick 16 since Hawthorn finished 3rd that year), pick 23 and pick 36 was moving heaven and earth. It's not like they traded young talent to get it.

Back