Traded Adam Saad [traded to Carlton with #48 and #78 for #8 and #87]

Who won this trade?

• Essendon

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Carlton

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Why take those picks to the draft when you could get a known quantity for Dunkley for probably one of those picks and a future 2nd? Seems like a decent compromise.
Fair point. I would be trading two of those picks for Dunkley though.

As an outsider all we saw was a player who essendon really needed but he wanted out, and carlton with yet another high draft pick that they really didn't need.

It's overs but makes sense when you put the two together.

The story of a player switching sides however is very underrated. It'll have it's own page in the history books between these two clubs.

I 100% agree if Saad was contracted. The issue was he isn't.

I don't think many Carlton supporters will be impressed.

The media narrative here was ridiculous, they are happy to say Ben Brown an All Australian KPF admittedly off a bad year is worth spare change because he is out of contract but Saad is worth a top 10 pick. Even with spare change back this is a poor trade for Austin.
I couldn't really care less. Draft picks aren't as valuable for us now. We aren't drafting for the future, we're trading for the now.
Use them to get players in that make the side immediately better, even if you have slightly overpay. Saad was one of the highest ranked defenders this year for score launches. With Weiters and Jones down there, someone like Saad can sweep up and launch our attacks from defence. Between him and Doc, they will be gaining 800-1000m a game on the rebound and he releases SPS back to the middle and/or more forward.

you add an elite HBF and it's a solace vs. the price you paid us?
weird.

He's not an elite half back flank. He's a solid running defender with some tricks, who hasn't even made an AA squad at this point of his career.

Definite need, and he will hopefully improve again, but the club had the perfect opportunity to force his true value and they relented.

Seems like Carlton blinked.
Strange when they don't have any other business in the draft and the Dons have several other deals in limbo.

But Blues should be happy enough and can move on with a decent half back player who can fill that hole for them. There's no guarantees what you get with a pick 8.

Carlton's list shaping up quite nicely actually.

I think we can console ourselves with the fact pick 8 will likely be pushed to pick 10 and the fact most draftees haven't played for 12 months, and the ones who have played a bit didn't play against top prospects, will make it even harder than usual to nail draft picks.

If there was a year to do a trade like this it was this year. From Carltons POV we also have high draft picks like Dow/O'Brien/Stocker/Kemp already on our list not in the best 22...we didn't really need another.

Carltons list is starting to look pretty good to be fair. Just need to get another couple of good midfielders and youre set.
I'm not sure that this is the case. Next year will let us know more obviously, but Williams will be a great help to Cripps in the middle. Played a few high quality games in the middle for GWS in his limited opportunities.
Setterfield is projecting nicely and will be playing effectively his 3rd full season and potentially on the brink of a breakout year.
Saad coming in down back and the return of Newman will release SPS back into the middle to add some more class.
Still have Kemp to debut and then we have a number of bit part players that can rotate in and out through fwd/mid, like Fisher, Gibbons, Cuningham and Martin. Some of those guys will never be world beaters, but are solid role players which every team needs.

He's not an elite half back flank. He's a solid running defender with some tricks, who hasn't even made an AA squad at this point of his career.

Definite need, and he will hopefully improve again, but the club had the perfect opportunity to force his true value and they relented.
I'd say he's elite.
the one on one defensive side of his game is underrated...even by himself it would seem.
I have watched the likes of Betts, Milne & Le Cras tear us to shreds year on year. He's been very good at stopping smalls kick bags on us.

whether you think the deal is fair or not, you've got a top small defender on your hands now. Sad to see him go.

Carlton are looking good imo. Every club has a player sucking up big salary on their list, but if only they could replace McGovern with a decent mid, they would be looking pretty formiddable. It would also be handy if they could get Charlie Curnow on the park.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, if ever there was an opportunity to walk someone through to the PSD, this was it...

Remember that time when the Bombers had picks 5 and 6 in the draft? Great days. I'm glad their fans are happy that Dodoro wins trade week for them every year, rather than putting together a good list which, you know, is actually what his job is.

Doesn't come near when Melbourne had picks 1 and 2. Now that was a sight to behold.

I'd say he's elite.
the one on one defensive side of his game is underrated...even by himself it would seem.
I have watched the likes of Betts, Milne & Le Cras tear us to shreds year on year. He's been very good at stopping smalls kick bags on us.

whether you think the deal is fair or not, you've got a top small defender on your hands now. Sad to see him go.

He's nowhere near it in reality, but he's still a decent player who should play some good footy for us. Fits a need, and IIRC his family are massive Carlton supporters.

I don't doubt he has some improvement left, which we should hopefully see turn into some AA nods but more importantly become a key part of our back 6.

Doesn't come near when Melbourne had picks 1 and 2. Now that was a sight to behold.

Hmmm, I think you're talking about list management guys we sacked long ago because they were no ******* good at the caper. Yet Dodoro lingers on, a true Essendon hero.

Back