Traded Adam Treloar [traded with #26, #33 and #42 to Bulldogs for #14 and 2021 R2]

Who won this trade?

• Collingwood

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if the idea is to significantly reduce salary, what other options are there, but to trade for draft picks?
To be honest about it.

Everyone accepts that players had to be sold at this point, but telling Treloar and Stephenson that senior players wanted them out, they were hard to coach and the hadn’t ingratiated themselves with teammates - and informing them via management that they were up for trade - is really poor. Pretending that Collingwood chose to sell them to get into the draft is even worse.

To be honest about it.

Everyone accepts that players had to be sold at this point, but telling Treloar and Stephenson that senior players wanted them out, they were hard to coach and the hadn’t ingratiated themselves with teammates - and informing them via management that they were up for trade - is really poor. Pretending that Collingwood chose to sell them to get into the draft is even worse.
The Treloar stuff really doesn’t portray the leadership group in a very good light either if true.
They also still have the issue of Lumumba suing them as well.

I've said this elsewhere, but my personal opinion is that they had DeGoey earmarked as the 'sacrifice' that would be let go to keep all (or most) of the others. North were previously prepared to pay squillions for him, so they had at least one suitor prepared to take all his salary off the books.

Then JDG's sexual assault allegations came up and blew those plans out of the water, leaving them scrambling to find other player(s) to let go instead.

I think the same.

To be honest about it.

To be honest, I couldn't care less what spin the media or the club put on it. I'm not sure why opposition supporters would either.

I can see what the objective was, and I'm comfortable with the outcome. I can foresee a way that it could make us a better side going forward, too. IMO, it's not nearly the "loss" some are making it out to be.

If you hadn’t mismanaged your TPP, you wouldnt have traded three good players for 25c on the dollar.

So any criticism seems to involve changing the past, prior to the trade period. We were where we were by that stage, for better or worse.

Rewinding to the start of the trade period, what would you have done differently from a Collingwood perspective, in the situation you were in? Would you have been able to somehow extract a greater return?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think of the trade this way.

When Treloar racks up 30 disposals, Collingwood paid for 10 of them.
Playing devils advocate here

That would mean Collingwood paid for 7 clangers/turnovers

Omg...Treloar confirming Buckley DID say to him that other senior Collingwood players don't want him around...and is saying that they were up for a fight to push him out. They weren't just pushing him out the door, they were putting up barricades once he had a foot out.

So that response from Buckley to Edmund who broke the story was a lie. Edmund said he was sticking with his story and he was right. Collingwood full of lies and spin right now.

Omg...Treloar confirming Buckley DID say to him that other senior Collingwood players don't want him around...and is saying that they were up for a fight to push him out. They weren't just pushing him out the door, they were putting up barricades once he had a foot out.

So that response from Buckley to Edmund who broke the story was a lie. Edmund said he was sticking with his story and he was right. Collingwood full of lies and spin right now.
The leadership group also seem to have a different take on it from Buckley as well. Buckley saying the leadership group don’t want him, the leadership group reaching out to AT saying not true.

Treloar has actually played this well

Apparently he hasn't spoken to any other club, nor should he have to either

Collingwood offering to pay a measley 100k of a 900k per year contract isn't going to have many takers

I think it will play out that Treloar stays put, and Collingwood are going to have to hire an epic PR/spin doctor to try and undo the damage this has caused for future recruitment. If you are someone on the sidelines watching this, how could you possibly believe that any back ended deal offered from the club holds any weight?

Heads rightfully should roll after this fiasco

DK: But Ned you’re going to be paying some of this talent to play for other football clubs.

NG: We’re not going to go into the specifics ...

DK: We know you’re going to be paying portions, we don’t have to go into specific numbers but it does get to a point where the salary cap has forced you to subsidise other clubs.

NG: We’re not going to talk about players’ contracts.

tbf Sam Edmund seems to be the most believable of all of the media journalists

Pies traded Treloar out for (150 points) the equivalent of pick 65 and will still be paying a third of his wage. Trading doesn't get any worse than that.
im lazy, got a link to the calculation?

To be honest, I couldn't care less what spin the media or the club put on it. I'm not sure why opposition supporters would either.

I can see what the objective was, and I'm comfortable with the outcome. I can foresee a way that it could make us a better side going forward, too. IMO, it's not nearly the "loss" some are making it out to be.
Because it throws two players who have done nothing wrong - one of whom is only 20 and the other who has well documented mental health issues - completely under the bus.

So any criticism seems to involve changing the past, prior to the trade period. We were where we were by that stage, for better or worse.

Rewinding to the start of the trade period, what would you have done differently from a Collingwood perspective, in the situation you were in? Would you have been able to somehow extract a greater return?

I don’t have to tell you how I’d fix it. That doesn‘t invalidate my criticism by any means.

Collingwood would have know this was coming down the pipeline for months. How many times did Treloar restructure his contract? And you signed the artist formerly known as Dayne Beams, gave a massive extension to a player the clubs was unhappy with (Stevenson). Who oversees this? To whom does Ned Guy report?

If Ned Guy has this job after the draft, I’d be staggered.

I don’t have to tell you how I’d fix it. That doesn‘t invalidate my criticism by any means.

Collingwood would have know this was coming down the pipeline for months. How many times did Treloar restructure his contract? And you signed the artist formerly known as Dayne Beams, gave a massive extension to a player the clubs was unhappy with (Stevenson). Who oversees this? To whom does Ned Guy report?

If Ned Guy has this job after the draft, I’d be staggered.
I would have traded de Goey.

Back