AEW Revolution - Monday March 6th 2023, 12pm AEDT

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a classic for that reason the new age stuff is more flips, flops, finishers, kick outs, weapons etc. Far less about the story around it but its like sports these days 20/20 has taken over because people want the big hits and high action.

This is why I adored the Christian/Jack Perry match so much. They told such an incredible story within the confines of the gimmick stipulation and Jungle Boy looked like a completely different wrestler in the process.

Really enjoyable show, top to bottom. Probably would've watched it in one hit if I had started early enough after work, wish I had known how long it would go for.

I've always been a Jericholic, but he's clearly past his prime. Will be good to see Starks in a series of matches against someone who can match his own physical capabilities.

Perry/Cage I enjoyed, but being the Johnny Come Lately that I am didn't have the same emotional investment as others.

HOB/Elite would've been match of the night on most cards, and I don't think I've seen a bad Trios match yet. But I don't know if Trios is featured too much or not enough. Also literally LMAO when Omega shrugged after knocking Hart the f out.

Womens match was the low point , but for a low point it was pretty fn good. Would like to see Ruby get the belt though, she's the most talented of the bunch, IMO.

Mox and Page was one of the wildest matches I've seen in a long time. Loved the 'you sick *' chant, but surely that should've come out as he's stabbing Page in the *in forehead with a fork, not cos he brings out two small bricks and a chain. I dunno... Americans. Takes a lot for my jaw to drop, but this match did it. Reminded me of the first ECW match I ever saw, Axl Vs Ian Rotten Taipei Death Match.

Wardlow/Joe suprised me as I hadn't really seen Wardlow wrestle yet. Can't remember the last time I saw a match won with a sleeper hold, so it was pretty refreshing.

4-Way Tag was a bit of a let down... probably on par with the Womens Championship. Jarrett has been wrestling almost as long as I've been alive, and it shows. I didn't mind him 20 years ago, but seems to drag matches down these days. Way too much TV time when there's others more deserving.

MJF/AD I thought was paced pretty well, and I feel MJF holding onto the title was the right move. Are there long-term feuds or would this be considered the end of Danielson/MJF?

Really enjoyable show, top to bottom. Probably would've watched it in one hit if I had started early enough after work, wish I had known how long it would go for.

I've always been a Jericholic, but he's clearly past his prime. Will be good to see Starks in a series of matches against someone who can match his own physical capabilities.

Perry/Cage I enjoyed, but being the Johnny Come Lately that I am didn't have the same emotional investment as others.

HOB/Elite would've been match of the night on most cards, and I don't think I've seen a bad Trios match yet. But I don't know if Trios is featured too much or not enough. Also literally LMAO when Omega shrugged after knocking Hart the f out.

Womens match was the low point , but for a low point it was pretty fn good. Would like to see Ruby get the belt though, she's the most talented of the bunch, IMO.

Mox and Page was one of the wildest matches I've seen in a long time. Loved the 'you sick *' chant, but surely that should've come out as he's stabbing Page in the *in forehead with a fork, not cos he brings out two small bricks and a chain. I dunno... Americans. Takes a lot for my jaw to drop, but this match did it. Reminded me of the first ECW match I ever saw, Axl Vs Ian Rotten Taipei Death Match.

Wardlow/Joe suprised me as I hadn't really seen Wardlow wrestle yet. Can't remember the last time I saw a match won with a sleeper hold, so it was pretty refreshing.

4-Way Tag was a bit of a let down... probably on par with the Womens Championship. Jarrett has been wrestling almost as long as I've been alive, and it shows. I didn't mind him 20 years ago, but seems to drag matches down these days. Way too much TV time when there's others more deserving.

MJF/AD I thought was paced pretty well, and I feel MJF holding onto the title was the right move. Are there long-term feuds or would this be considered the end of Danielson/MJF?

With it going into sudden death, I can see a rematch between the 2. Forcing Danielson to tap out to lose the match is also interesting, as I can envision a redemption kind of storyline for Danielson, to overcome his doubts and eventually win the title in 6-12 months time. With the BCC becoming more heels rather than faces can see Danielson splitting his association from the group.

if Meltzer ratings are your thing (or rough viewing guide):

Lucha Bros and Mark Briscoe vs Woods, Daivari and Nese: 3.5
Starks vs Jericho: 4
Jungle Boy vs Christian: 4
HoB vs Elite: 4.75
Hayter vs Saraya vs Ruby: 3
Hangman vs Mox: 5
Wardlow vs Joe: 2.25
4-way Tag: 3.25
MJF vs Danielson: 5.75

HoB should have got their first 5 there. Very stiff.

Im guessing so. There is still money to be made from them 2. Although the real money is Punk vs the elite

I was expecting Punk to return with FTR while Elite still had the trios but that doesn't seem to be happening now. I guess Punk can return and go straight into a title match given he never lost the title in the ring. Think anyone but the Elite when he returns though would kill what could have been a big money program.

I didn't dislike the match at all, but for the sheer stupidity of 'wrapping' himself and his foot in barbed wire to perform offensive moves, Hangman's match against Moxley just flat out cannot be a 5/5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah nah, that was absolutely a 5 star. Meltzer also normally hates the hardcore style matches.

Didn't Kurt Angle not receive one 5 star match in his entire career according to Meltzer?

By that logic, Hangman vs Mox was better than every Kurt Angle match ever. As far as hardcore brawls go, it couldn't touch what Shane and Kurt did at the King of the Ring in 2001. That match is genuinely a jaw dropping watch with modern eyes.

Didn't Kurt Angle not receive one 5 star match in his entire career according to Meltzer?

By that logic, Hangman vs Mox was better than every Kurt Angle match ever. As far as hardcore brawls go, it couldn't touch what Shane and Kurt did at the King of the Ring in 2001. That match is genuinely a jaw dropping watch with modern eyes.

I wouldn't try too hard to apply logic to subjective ratings

As far as hardcore brawls go, it couldn't touch what Shane and Kurt did at the King of the Ring in 2001. That match is genuinely a jaw dropping watch with modern eyes.
perhaps, but it's not a 5 star match. (4 stars was the official rating, FWIW)

Yeah I’m pretty sure Hangman and Mox put on a better match than one with Shane McMahon…

Yeah I’m pretty sure Hangman and Mox put on a better match than one with Shane McMahon…

Have you seen the match I'm referencing? It's still in highlight packages and spoken about 20 years after the fact.

I'm going to sound like Cornette here, but will anybody fondly remember Moxley vs Page in even 12 months time the same way?

Have you seen the match I'm referencing? It's still in highlight packages and spoken about 20 years after the fact.

I'm going to sound like Cornette here, but will anybody fondly remember Moxley vs Page in even 12 months time the same way?
I have and it was a great match. Mox vs Hangman was better though. In fact, all of their matches have been fantastic.

Mox stuck a fork in Page, and he wasn't done... that's pretty memorable...

Not really arguing either way, just wanted to make that joke. But there's only one moment in the Angle/McMahon match that is actually memorable, and only cos gthe campaigner should've broken his neck. The match itself wasn't full of amazing highlights. Mox/Page had way more interesting spots.

The belly to belly spot is obviously super memorable... think you're overstating the rest.

May have to agree to disagree guys.

As stated, I enjoyed Page vs Mox for what it was, but as far as brawls go I wouldn't even rate it the best on the show (that goes to Christian vs Jack Perry which told a far more coherent story).

Because the modern fan sees violence like that in wrestling all the time now, compared to WWE 2001.

Maybe, but in the Australian context- it just went onto Kayo, and I was probably on the fence about watching- there is some capacity to grow the audience here with some appropriate hooks, but really I'm not much happier watching Danielson constantly lose in the main event than I was about it a decade ago.
It was a brutal and enthralling 65 minute match, he wasn't jobbed out to Sheamus on the undercard in 10 seconds. Bit of a difference.

Nb And yeah sorry late to the party on this one, finally finished the show tonight with the iron man match after watching most of the show a couple of weeks back. Outstanding show the only lulls for me were the women's triple threat and Wardlow/Joe. I can't praise the iron man match highly enough, yeah the ending was a bit carney but being a callback to HBK/Bret at WM12 was a nice touch. And MJF retains with a chickenshit heel move making me want to see him get his comeuppance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back