Autopsy AFL 2021 First Preliminary Final - Demons v Cats Fri September 10th 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Make May and especially Lever accountable and you're a fair chance to win. I reckon cats will have learnt a lot in that regard from last time. I assume Petty and May will take Hawkins and Jezza which means the Esava and/or Rohan will be crucial in keeping Lever busy so he can't peel off and intercept. I'd be sending Rohan to him like we did with Townsend in the 2017 GF. Rohan was pretty good last week but has struggled to impact finals games historically but if he hitches onto Lever all day it will allow the other forwards to impact.

If they can avoid May and Lever in the air and hit-up the leading target more or kick it to grass as Dimma would say I reckon cats win. Pretty big if though, Dees defence has been elite.

Should be a cracker.

I'd definitely say he's a better defender. I'd argue Stewart is the better all-round player though with the way he attacks off halfback.
I'd agree with that. Who would have thought that the 24 year old local carpenter we picked up from the GFL would be our most important defender

I'd agree with that. Who would have thought that the 24 year old local carpenter we picked up from the GFL would be our most important defender

Scary moments for you guys when it looked like Wells was set to hang it up

You reckon? Had em on toast at half time only a few weeks ago then went into your shells. I reckon cats took more out of that game than dees did.
Maybe I'm just going into self preservation mode after so many prelim losses. I just don't have confidence without Stewart there and the lack of defensive mids now is a bit troubling

Yeah, he won't be here forever but I'll take as many years from him as I can get
The game Melbourne controlled for all bar a 10 minute period where Geelong kicked 6 goals? ... pretty sure Melbourne took more out of the fact they controlled the majority of the game and that type of 6 minute lapse in concentration won't happen again...

The game Melbourne controlled for all bar a 10 minute period where Geelong kicked 6 goals? ... pretty sure Melbourne took more out of the fact they controlled the majority of the game and that type of 6 minute lapse in concentration won't happen again...
Are you replying to the right person here?

True, but I think Matty Scarlett may have been the one who discovered Stewart.
There's plenty more though. I think the reality is a lot of what we get out of these players is less about the selection at the draft and more about dropping role players into well defined roles. It's 90% coaching in my opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean Geelong are missing THEIR best backman, right? Because if you meant the best backman in the competition that would be embarrassing. He wouldn't even be in the top 2 defenders on the ground on Friday if he were playing.
Hes been AA 3 of the last 4 years and you could argue he was very unlucky to not make it in 2020 lol, deserves a bit more respect than that rubbish analysis.

See we keep reading this but before Geelong kicked 6 goals in 8 minutes, the game was two-thirds of the way through the second quarter and Geelong Had actually led from about a third of the way through that quarter. Prior to that Melbourne Led by a whopping 9 points or less for the first 14 minutes of play, trailed by a few points for the next 3-4 minutes then carries a huge two point lead into the break. They quadrupled that lead to a massive 8 points a few minutes into the second, and did not kick another goal until past the halfway mark of the third.

the margin which has been 39 points at halftime stayed that way until a goal a few minutes from three quarter time.

Take out of the game what you will but stop trying to rewrite history. You didn’t control s**t until the last term

See we keep reading this but before Geelong kicked 6 goals in 8 minutes, the game was two-thirds of the way through the second quarter and Geelong Had actually led from about a third of the way through that quarter. Prior to that Melbourne Led by a whopping 9 points or less for the first 14 minutes of play, trailed by a few points for the next 3-4 minutes then carries a huge two point lead into the break. They quadrupled that lead to a massive 8 points a few minutes into the second, and did not kick another goal until past the halfway mark of the third.

the margin which has been 39 points at halftime stayed that way until a goal a few minutes from three quarter time.

Take out of the game what you will but stop trying to rewrite history. You didn’t control sh*t until the last term
He's not rewriting History

Melbourne won 3 quarters, with Geelong only winning the 2nd Quarter(By a huge margin but not making that point)
Melbourne also won the Inside 50s by 7, the clearances by 7, and had 5 more shots on goal than Geelong

While Melbourne didn't dominate the 3 other quarters, they were still the better team over the match.

Both teams had large scoring sprees, but Melbourne winning the rest of the game was the reason they won it

He's not rewriting History

Melbourne won 3 quarters, with Geelong only winning the 2nd Quarter(By a huge margin but not making that point)
Melbourne also won the Inside 50s by 7, the clearances by 7, and had 5 more shots on goal than Geelong

While Melbourne didn't dominate the 3 other quarters, they were still the better team over the match.

Both teams had large scoring sprees, but Melbourne winning the rest of the game was the reason they won it

Saying Melbourne ‘controlled’ the game for all but 6 minutes is rewriting history mate. The game was on an even keel for a quarter and a half, was entirely on geelong’s terms for a quarter, was even again for five minutes before 3qt and then was on Melbourne’s.

Saying Melbourne ‘controlled’ the game for all but 6 minutes is rewriting history mate. The game was on an even keel for a quarter and a half, was entirely on geelong’s terms for a quarter, was even again for five minutes before 3qt and then was on Melbourne’s.
Not saying they controlled the game. Every match has twists and turns in terms of momentum
Just saying, IMO, Melbourne played the better football for the majority of the match if we exclude both teams large goal runs

Having said that. I believe that both teams have taken a lot out of that match as there were highs and lows from both ends
Should be a close and entertaining game on Friday night

Back