Best 10 under 21

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you would have Ashcroft & Rachele ahead of MacDonald?

You have a good argument with MacDonald v Soligo.

Yeah I had them both in (see my list above) above MacDonald, absolutely.

Right now I wouldn't have either MacDonald or Soligo in my top ten, they'd be in the next group alongside players like Wilmot, Hobbs, Weddle, and several others.

There's a clear top two:
Daicos
Sheezel

Followed by (no order):
Owens
NWM
JHF
Rachele
Amiss
Callaghan
Ashcroft
Ward

Last edited:
Yeah I had them both in (see my list above) above MacDonald, absolutely.

Right now I wouldn't have either MacDonald or Soligo in my top ten, they'd be in the next group alongside players like Wilmot, Hobbs, Weddle, and several others.

There's a clear top two:
Daicos
Sheezel

Followed by:
Owens
NWM
JHF
Rachele
Callaghan
Ashcroft
Ward
Raffle between several
Good list... around the mark imo.

What is the actual cut off for this list?

21 by the start of next season are excluded?

Being 21 during next season is OK? In which case we need Gulden in the top three of every list.
UNDER 21 now.

Gulden is 21 now so out.

Nick Daicos is about to be cut off very soon (turns 21 in a week).

Michalaney had a better season than Weddle too
Michalannay and Weddle could make this list soon enough.

Nick Daicos and Nasiah are about to drop out of the list before the season starts. Then JHF mid-season.

So spots become available on a rolling basis...

Last edited:
Michalaney had a better season than Weddle too
As a lock down defender, maybe, but as a player with ball in hand he did not.

Weddle had more disposals, more marks, more contested possessions, more intercepts, almost double metres gained, score involvements, took hangers and just generally impressed in every game he played.

Michalaannay and Weddle could make this list soon enough.

Nick Daicos and Nasiah are about to drop out of the list before the season starts. The JHF mid-season.
Will be interesting to update the list during the season. Who takes over #1...

Cadman will rocket up the list this year with another preseason under his belt …. But Sheezel odds on to take the No 1 spot
Sheezel will be the good bet... but plenty of young talent around.

Hoping Curtin makes an entry... but outside chance. Think he will play from round 1.

Lock down smalls never get the respect they deserve. Hugely important role and just forgotten about by the AFL public. Guys like Charlie Cameron or Toby Greene will just kill you if you let them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a lock down defender, maybe, but as a player with ball in hand he did not.

Weddle had more disposals, more marks, more contested possessions, more intercepts, almost double metres gained, score involvements, took hangers and just generally impressed in every game he played.

They’re not playing the same role though.

Max received votes for the rising star , Weddle did not

If we use the 21 and under as of today (26/12/2023) then these would be the eligible players from each club good enough;

(players taken from footy wire)

BLUES - Jesse Motlop, Jack Carroll, HM Lachie Cowan
BOMBERs - Ben Hobbs, HM Alwyn Davey
CROWS - Josh Rachele, Jake Soligo, Max Michaleney, HM Luke Nankervis
DEMONS - Jacob Van Rooyen, Judd McVee HM Taj Woewodin
FREMANTLE - Jye Amiss, Matt Johnson, Neil Erasmus, HM Ethan Stanley
EAGLES - Brady Hough, Campbell Chesser, Rhett Bazzo, Jack Williams, Ryan Maric, Reuban Ginbey, HM Jai Culley
GIANTS - Finn Calaghan, Aaron Cadman, HM Josh Fahey
HAWKS - Connor McDonald, Sam Butler, Massimo D'Ambrosia, Josh Ward, Cam McKenzie, Josh Weddle, HM Henry Hustwaite
KANGAROOS - Miller Bergman, Paul Curtis, Josh Goater, Harry Sheezel, HM George Wardlaw
Lions - Darcy Wilmont, Will Ashcroft, Jaspa Fletcher, HM Harry Sharp
PIES - Nick Daicos
POWER - Jason Horne-Francis,
SAINTS - Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Marcus Windhager, Machito Owens, Anthony Caminitti, HM Matheus Philipou
SUNS - Mac Andrew, Bailey Humphrey

That is in no particular order'
Jye Amiss
Finn Calaghan
Harry Sheezel
Darcy Wilmont
Will Ashcroft
Nick Daicos
Jason Horne-Francis
Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
Marcus Windhager
Machito Owens - this could have been raffled off to a number of guys. Ginbey, Michaleney, Soligo even a couple of hawks but settled on Owens who is a mainstay of the Saints line up now

Of the clubs who didn't have anyone, Sydney and Geelong didn't really have many that would push the top echelon so didn't worth mentioning.

Lock down smalls never get the respect they deserve. Hugely important role and just forgotten about by the AFL public. Guys like Charlie Cameron or Toby Greene will just kill you if you let them.
Darcy Wilmont is being criminally under rated in this thread. HAs held down a spot in a top 4 team the last two seasons and has hardly rated a mention in many peoples 10's. He's in mine and closer to the top than not at all

Geez I like the upside with the Saints youngsters.Fletcher from Lions underrated as is Ginbey.Can see both taking large strides forward.If Giants cop any injuries to mids I can see Rowston playing more games.Big year for him.How he progresses may determine our trading strategy post the 24 season.

Similar.

1. Nick Daicos
2. Harry Sheezel
3. Mitch Owens
4. Jason Horne Francis
5. Finn Callaghan
6. NWM
7. Jye Amiss
8. Josh Weddle
9. Darcy Wilmot
10. Connor MacDonald

I had Ashcroft omitted due to the ACL which also made some room.

Nice to see Wilmot getting recognized. He debuted in 2022 finals as an 18 year old. Played all games including grand final in 2023. Wilmot will turn 20 in 5 days time on 31st December.

Nice to see Wilmot getting recognized. He debuted in 2022 finals as an 18 year old. Played all games including grand final in 2023. Wilmot will turn 20 in 5 days time on 31st December.
He along with Judd McVee (Melbourne) seem to be overlooked because they aren't 'sexy' players like your Ashcroft's or Daicos'.

I’m surprised people aren’t eating Ashcroft higher. In my opinion, he is number 2.

Michalaney should be top 10.
Max would be around the mark. Had a great debut season keeping the best small forwards quiet... except Greene who got hold of him, but he is the best in the business.

Bailey Humphrey is exciting to watch. Must be knocking on the door of the top 10.
We had extra interest watching him when he came to Adelaide Oval as his family bought a Chow Chow from one of our bred pups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back