Best/worst midfield 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

So we're bringing in a player who is not yet at the club (and may well not be taken by Carlton) and a bloke who has managed just 2 games of AFL, along with 3 blokes who all averaged less than 20 disposals a game during 2018...hardly runs on the board kind of stuff.

Walsh is a certainty for 2018 and Setterfield was pick 5 in 2016 draft for a reason, with a revitalised high performance conditioning team, we're may have more consistent and positive contributions from Kennedy, Lang, Garlett and Pickett too.

...same reason Jono O'Rourke was pick 2 in the 2012 draft??

You may well be right, but one should never compare players situations each has their complications as to why they were let go cheaply.
I'm expecting a quality midfielder to begin to show some signs of ability, late part of the 2nd half of the season. Admittedly I’m enthusiastic and optimism and have gone early including Will in our mid rotations round1, just have a got feel about this youngster and I admire the Andrew Russell approch toconditioning and motivating his players.

Last edited:
Being picked in the top 5 means nothing once on a AFL list, every player responds differently and many top end draft pick just don't turn out like hoped.

1. Collingwood
2. Richmond
3. GWS
4. Melbourne
5. West Coast
6. Essendon
7. Sydney
8. Adelaide
9. Western Bulldogs
10. Geelong.

11-18 should be thrown into the VFL until they can improve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood have the best midfield and ours is probably middle of the road but we didn't win the flag via the midfield.

Ahh yeah they did, it was clear half way through the 2nd the wc mids got on top just like they did in the last in the QF and in the PF against a dominant dees mid, oh and embarrassed a richmond mid with blue chip players in it.

Middle of the road? pfft, the evidence is clear and everyone is underrating the wc midfield

Yeo
Redden
Schuey
Gaff
NN
Sheed
Hutchings

Middle of the road? Say that again.

Nearly all midfields do. When the (or a ) top player is gone everybody else gets the next better opponent.
I was talking about the Scully effect i.e. he being fit or not is the difference for them

I know Collingwood could cover almost any injuries in our midfield, perhaps beside Grundy

Like West Coast covered their missing players well this season.

Definitely like Collingwood and Melbourne - great combo inside and out - albeit Melbourne have some more maturing to do

WCs is an interesting one - we got the job done - but it was more a team effort rather than a midfield stacked with talent

A bit akin to hawthorn who never had a gun mkdfiled - they just had a deep one that performed as a collective

Middle of the road? pfft, the evidence is clear and everyone is underrating the wc midfield

Whilst I do rate Collingwood's higher you are right that West Coast's is criminally underrated.

The problem is that we haven't yet experienced BT yelling SHOOOEEEEEYYY during a game, or seen Robbo salivating over any of the mids on 360 (Robbo embarrassingly asked Yeo if he had a nikname before the GF)(the answer of course is 'Yoey') so noone knows how to rate us.
And of course On the Couch are semi-banned from mentioning West Coast because it may cut into Lyon's time talking about Melbourne.

After winning the GF the midfield may get more respect from the amateur hour national AFL media next season - but seeing as it is incredibly hard to go back to back and so we probably won't the talk will revert back to how overrated they were all along.

Whilst I do rate Collingwood's higher you are right that West Coast's is criminally underrated.

The problem is that we haven't yet experienced BT yelling SHOOOEEEEEYYY during a game, or seen Robbo salivating over any of the mids on 360 (Robbo embarrassingly asked Yeo if he had a nikname before the GF)(the answer of course is 'Yoey') so noone knows how to rate us.
And of course On the Couch are semi-banned from mentioning West Coast because it may cut into Lyon's time talking about Melbourne.

After winning the GF the midfield may get more respect from the amateur hour national AFL media next season - but seeing as it is incredibly hard to go back to back and so we probably won't the talk will revert back to how overrated they were all along.

Here in the west, media types like Gossage, Hagdorn, Langdon, Haze, Pav all certainly rate the wc mids higher than the media counterparts from the east (and not biasedly either) but you forget to mention some media from the east like Brereton, Dunstall, KB and some others actually do rate them relatively highly.

I don't think the issue is eastern media noise it's the sheep in the public that post in forums like this and will state what they think the broader media alludes to and then it gathers momentum. For example there are some wc posters who rate the mids as mid table, really?!

Mids are the engine room to any success, generally speaking if you're mids are good or v good (and are working to or near potential - we didn't on the most important day!) success will follow - regardless of your game style. (in a simple on face value sense).

WCs is an interesting one - we got the job done - but it was more a team effort rather than a midfield stacked with talent

A bit akin to hawthorn who never had a gun mkdfiled - they just had a deep one that performed as a collective

Disagree, there are some A grade to elite performers in the middle.......... wc game style (transition with precision DE) is more personnel reliant than say a Pies, Tiges or Dees which relies more on role contributors to a system.

WC have shown they're the only team that break down those systems, all the other teams have conceded and suffocated under it in various games from these 3 systems, how? Well to play your transition game you need to win ball - go have a look at mid through the 2nd in the gf and witness a very capable midfield get on top of their opp................. from there I knew it was over. I know that is a simplistic answer but the only way wc were going to win was to win the mid battle which they did, would've lost otherwise due to lack of supply (1st qtr).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back