Opinion Bring Bomber Thompson back as an assistant coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

I want to see BMac and Joel Corey.

Doggies youth have a lot to thank Bmac for and our MF ( outside Sel) could use some of Smithy's hardness and attitude. Would be money well spent.

Go Catters
Yeah Bmac is pretty good in the defensive aspects of the game you can see his influence on the Dogs and the Injectors.

IF you kick 11.23 in a GF, you don't deserve to win it.

Good kicking is good football. Teams that play good football, win Grand Finals.

The players have to take the responsibility somewhere along the line.

Pretty sure half those behinds were rushed through by the Hawthorn players. Some of them even marked the ball 30 out, turned around, and deliberately kicked into goal to succeed another behind.
They did a masterful job of conceding when they knew they had no shot at running the ball outside of their defensive fifty.

I often wonder why Geelong, and Bomber, did not deploy similar tactics when our blokes were under severe pressure.

Pretty sure half those behinds were rushed through by the Hawthorn players. Some of them even marked the ball 30 out, turned around, and deliberately kicked into goal to succeed another behind.
They did a masterful job of conceding when they knew they had no shot at running the ball outside of their defensive fifty.

I often wonder why Geelong, and Bomber, did not deploy similar tactics when our blokes were under severe pressure.

I don't think our guys came into that game in the right frame of mind. As soon as we realized Hawthorn wasn't going to roll over and let us win it easily we s**t ourselves. We missed some absolute sitters, many of them thru selfishness and being lax, and as soon as the Hawks went up a gear we went straight into panic mode.

I want to see BMac and Joel Corey.

Doggies youth have a lot to thank Bmac for and our MF ( outside Sel) could use some of Smithy's hardness and attitude. Would be money well spent.

Go Catters
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because a player played in a certain way they can definitely coach it.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that just because a player played in a certain way they can definitely coach it.

not at all but I take your point. Smithy has been working closely with several of the pups at the kennel and they attribute some of their development to him.
I want to say it was Honeychurch, Dalhaus, Wallis and one more that I can't remember were quoted as such.

Go Catters

not at all but I take your point. Smithy has been working closely with several of the pups at the kennel and they attribute some of their development to him.
I want to say it was Honeychurch, Dalhaus, Wallis and one more that I can't remember were quoted as such.

Go Catters
Hopefully Bontempelli. Kid is an absolute gun.

Go Catters
He has worked closely with Macrae and Bontempelli, both of whom attribute much of their rapid development to him.

His work with the pups has been exceptional, he's a real asset to the club.

He has worked closely with Macrae and Bontempelli, both of whom attribute much of their rapid development to him.

His work with the pups has been exceptional, he's a real asset to the club.
Great to hear...
Can we have him back now please? :D

Go Catters

Great to hear...
Can we have him back now please? :D

Go Catters
I can see a pattern here. He nurtured our young kittens back in the day. Then the dogs young pups and now with Roosy the young demons players.

I'd take him back in a heartbeat. Isn't our development coach now O'Bree?? Know who I'd prefer!

Not all can but you only have to look through the list of premiership coaches to see that some can play in a certain way and then become an excellent coach.

Who knows with Smithy, he may become the next super coach, done a pretty good apprentership so far, has the smarts, been around some knowledgeable people in Bomber, Hinkley, B Mac, Sando and now Roos. He won't be the worst that a club could have a crack at.

Not all can but you only have to look through the list of premiership coaches to see that some can play in a certain way and then become an excellent coach.

Who knows with Smithy, he may become the next super coach, done a pretty good apprentership so far, has the smarts, been around some knowledgeable people in Bomber, Hinkley, B Mac, Sando and now Roos. He won't be the worst that a club could have a crack at.
It's also interesting to see the way in which some teams play in completely the opposite manner to their coaches. Bomber was a back pocket, but we became the most attractive side in the league (esp. Lingy). Roos was a bombastic CHB, but Sydney was highly defensive.

I'd probably like to see players like Joel spend a few more years away from the club yet, just to see different systems in action and hear different voices.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-10/the-trouble-with-bomber-a-coachs-fall-from-grace

Reading this was a bit of a downer .... I just dont get why someone with the world at his feet could end up in such a place ...

So what if anything should the club be willing to do ... ? Just where do we start and stop with benevolence .... Plenty would say he jumped ship , left us etc. so tough luck charlie ... others would say he was so integral to ours flags that we should help him some how ....

Personally .... not sure that a role inside the club would be right for him now , or perhaps ever again ...which is a shame as BT obviously had football smarts... and the style of game he coached worked in finals and was exciting. Id be happy to see the club reach out at the right time but sometimes people have to want to be helped....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-10/the-trouble-with-bomber-a-coachs-fall-from-grace

Reading this was a bit of a downer .... I just dont get why someone with the world at his feet could end up in such a place ...

So what if anything should the club be willing to do ... ? Just where do we start and stop with benevolence .... Plenty would say he jumped ship , left us etc. so tough luck charlie ... others would say he was so integral to ours flags that we should help him some how ....

Personally .... not sure that a role inside the club would be right for him now , or perhaps ever again ...which is a shame as BT obviously had football smarts... and the style of game he coached worked in finals and was exciting. Id be happy to see the club reach out at the right time but sometimes people have to want to be helped....

I’ll definitely say he jumped ship. The club isn’t a charity. He left.

Here’s an idea, he can take responsibility and deal with it by himself. Shouldn’t be let near the club if anything close to what’s in that article is true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ll definitely say he jumped ship. The club isn’t a charity. He left.

Here’s an idea, he can take responsibility and deal with it by himself. Shouldn’t be let near the club if anything close to what’s in that article is true.

Thats fair and reasonable ... and he is where he is thru his own choices ...so although you may call me soft or whatever , I prefer not to see guys that have had an association with the club crash and burn. Im not even sure what sort of help id like to offer him...as I said Id not think a as coaching role would be the right gig now

In the end, however Bomber got himself here, it's clear that his current problems go well beyond not having a meaningful job in football.

So until he decides to sort out the incredible mess he seems to have constructed for himself across all facets of his life, a job in footy will be nothing more than a very ineffective Band-Aid on what is clearly a gaping wound.

Found Costa comments weird. On the day that Thompson announced that he was leaving us Costa had been on radio just saying that he was staying. So he obviously thought that Thompson was ok or that it was ok for us to have a Coach who was not ok. Either way bad judgement on Costas part.

I read that article yesterday - pretty sure the Cats will keep an open door policy with strings attached, but will leave it up for Bomber when he wants enter, if at all. He'll forever be part of the Cats family and as with all families, it gets messy most of the time.

Just as aside - that article is terribly written. It's as if Barrett jotted down (or recorded) a few random points he wanted to make, repeated them a couple of times, then expected a type-editor to clean it all up. Note to Barrett - editors no longer work in the media.

Just as aside - that article is terribly written. It's as if Barrett jotted down (or recorded) a few random points he wanted to make, repeated them a couple of times, then expected a type-editor to clean it all up. Note to Barrett - editors no longer work in the media.
SLIDING DOORS MOMENT

IF: you sign up to write clickbait nonsense...

THEN:...don't be surprised if your writing skills evaporate.

Why arent essendon helping him. That is his name afterall. If he changes via deed poll to ferrel thomson we'll be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back