Analysis Clubs in breach of the two first round picks in four years

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it might involve the Suns - I think they will go 3 into a haul from the Crows (say 8, 13 and something or 8, 16 and something) and we will chase the lowest of their first rounders. If the Suns can filter that pick into draft capital over the next couple of drafts they will be laughing.
Suns don’t really need more picks though. They already have more good picks than they have open list spots

Suns don’t really need more picks though. They already have more good picks than they have open list spots

They need mature players not more kids but no one apart from C graders who want a pay day will go there then they pay their 3rd to 5th year players massive overs to stay to make up their cap

Yeah but I think they might seek to trade back once for a haul then use it to trade for future picks.

With the number of draft picks they have, they should try to set up the rolling high picks similar to GWS’s first 3-4 years

After trading their 2018 1st and their 2019 1st as well as possibly losing their 2nd round pick because of going into deficit matching bids for Quayner and Kelly they are in breach of the rules and will have to trade back into the 1st round 2019 without much currency because they'll only have picks 53 and 71

Another price to pay for the Beams deal.

Chances are we won't have to go into deficit as we will have enough points to match bids for both players.
Very dramatic post.

Chances are we won't have to go into deficit as we will have enough points to match bids for both players.
Very dramatic post.
Agree. Part of the reason the Pies got 41 & 44 back from brisbane as part of the deal was so they wouldn’t run into the problem of not having enough points.

Would Saints trade Pick 4 to GC for Pick 6 & 24/29

Gold Coast go to the draft with pick 2, 3 & 4 and draft Luko, Rankine & Rozee
Sounds great but Rozee isn't worth 4.

Smith, Ming, Bing should all go ahead of Rozee IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would Saints trade Pick 4 to GC for Pick 6 & 24/29

Gold Coast go to the draft with pick 2, 3 & 4 and draft Luko, Rankine & Rozee
Not sure Saints do that unless they think there is not much difference between their 4th and 6th choice on their draft board.

Agree its a dumbass rule, the Dees are now 3 years without a 1st rounder. Feels kinda strange.

We did take 4 top 10 picks over 2 years in 2014 and 2015, but i agree we need to either get back into the first round this year or hold onto next years.

We did take 4 top 10 picks over 2 years in 2014 and 2015, but i agree we need to either get back into the first round this year or hold onto next years.

I thought the only penalty was you couldn't trade future picks.

Edit. So you can't trade your first round pick till you are compliant with the rule.

As it stands now Essendon, Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, and Melbourne won't be able to trade out their 2020 1st rounder unless they trade picks to get one this year. Collingwood changes if Quaynor gets bid on in first round as that counts even though they use 2nd round picks to match it

A few clubs looking to use the NGA/Father Son player "first rounder" loophole I reckon.

Sounds great but Rozee isn't worth 4.

Smith, Ming, Bing should all go ahead of Rozee IMO

Agree, they also need a dedicated midfielder. They’ll take Lukosius and Smith with their first 2.

They will only trade up if they seriously want Rozee and think St Kilda would trade to Adelaide. Rozee will be gone if the two SA clubs have 4 & 5.

Not sure Saints do that unless they think there is not much difference between their 4th and 6th choice on their draft board.

I don’t think King will go before 6. Give it to GC and take 6 and a second rounder. Works for GC too as they don’t have the list spots (from memory) for that 2nd round pick

As I understand the 1st round rules, clubs must use 2 x 1st round picks in a 4 year period.

So, unless a club has acquired 2 x 1st round picks between 2015 and 2018 it cannot trade away it's 1st round selection for 2019.

The Pies selected Jaidyn Stephenson at No.6 in the 2017 NAB AFL Draft and will need to trigger one first-round selection in 2018 or 2019 after not taking any between 2015-16.

After trading their 2018 1st and their 2019 1st as well as possibly losing their 2nd round pick because of going into deficit matching bids for Quayner and Kelly they are in breach of the rules and will have to trade back into the 1st round 2019 without much currency because they'll only have picks 53 and 71

Another price to pay for the Beams deal.
If we get a flag.

I don't think we could any serious farks if we breach.

Get rid of the rule, and let clubs trade as many years into the future as they like.

If a club is really stupid with it, can’t see how it’s any different to really bad decisions Carlton made from 09-14 with terrible recruiting.

End of the day clubs will make bad calls and rise and fall, that’s their cross to bear

Get rid of the rule, and let clubs trade as many years into the future as they like.

If a club is really stupid with it, can’t see how it’s any different to really bad decisions Carlton made from 09-14 with terrible recruiting.

End of the day clubs will make bad calls and rise and fall, that’s their cross to bear
At times, the AFL needs to protect clubs from themselves.

Carlton is a great example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back