Club Focus Collingwood 2021 - Kreuger, Lipinski, Daicos, Murley, Harrison

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Just Mason Cox left now

I heard today that the Pies haven't (as yet) nominated Youssef Dib. I have liked the little that I've seen of him - is this simply strategic or is there some doubt that he'll be nominated in the draft?

Sensible decision by North, to take clearly the outstanding number 1 player and talent in this year's draft. Daicos will likely spend much of next season in the VFL, whereas Horne-Francis is a ready to go gun for AFL level.

Not trying to slight Daicos actually, who potentially could be the best player of his draft class, just think that he will take slightly longer to adjust to the more physical and faster form of the game than JHF.

Sensible decision by North, to take clearly the outstanding number 1 player and talent in this year's draft. Daicos will likely spend much of next season in the VFL, whereas Horne-Francis is a ready to go gun for AFL level.

Not trying to slight Daicos actually, who potentially could be the best player of his draft class, just think that he will take slightly longer to adjust to the more physical and faster form of the game than JHF.
Guess you didn't see Josh's game in the VFL this year - also amongst the best in the combined game against the Gee VFL side. After training with the Pies during pre-season and his VFL form it was reported from within the club that if he was available, he would have been in the Pies best side this year. Not much doubt that he'll be in the AFL side for most of the year barring injury.

Guess you didn't see Josh's game in the VFL this year - also amongst the best in the combined game against the Gee VFL side. After training with the Pies during pre-season and his VFL form it was reported from within the club that if he was available, he would have been in the Pies best side this year. Not much doubt that he'll be in the AFL side for most of the year barring injury.

Don't you mean Nick ?

Not disputing his talent or potential, but I don't think it's wrong stating JHF will have more of an immediate impact in his first season in the AFL than Daicos.

Don't you mean Nick ?

Not disputing his talent or potential, but I don't think it's wrong stating JHF will have more of an immediate impact in his first season in the AFL than Daicos.
Lol

He would have played round one this year if available and by the time round one comes around next season he would of completed two AFL pre-seasons

Jeez you have some insightful takes.

Bet you hardly watched Horne-Francis all year…
I was only responding to your comment about Daics spending much of the time in the VFL - Not sure why I need to watch Horne-Francis to form an opinion on where Daics will be playing!

I was only responding to your comment about Daics spending much of the time in the VFL - Not sure why I need to watch Horne-Francis to form an opinion on where Daics will be playing!

I wasn’t responding to you so not sure if wires have been crossed.

Either way he’s just trying to be a sly troll doing some fishing 🎣.

Both will be fine and play plenty of AFL minutes (probably not through the midfield yet though).

Last edited:

This is enough to show that you have no fing idea whatsoever about either players

I think we will play the same card we did with Thomas.

JHF will play 75% at half forward with some bursts on the wing and midfield, for probably the first two season. Funnily enough Thomas will probably be the one to rotate him with.

I don't think for one minute Horne is moving straight into our midfield. He might not even be a full time midfielder for his career. We have plenty of young genuine center square mids that don't have the versatility that he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will play the same card we did with Thomas.

JHF will play 75% at half forward with some bursts on the wing and midfield, for probably the first two season. Funnily enough Thomas will probably be the one to rotate him with.

I don't think for one minute Horne is moving straight into our midfield. He might not even be a full time midfielder for his career. We have plenty of young genuine center square mids that don't have the versatility that he does.

IMO for guys who can be extremely dangerous up forward like JHF and Daicos, it’s not a bad way to develop them.

It’s similar to the way Collingwood developed Dayne Beams before he was ready to step properly into the midfield (which came more through injury opportunity at the time anyway).

I heard today that the Pies haven't (as yet) nominated Youssef Dib. I have liked the little that I've seen of him - is this simply strategic or is there some doubt that he'll be nominated in the draft?
Training photos on nicks show Dib is training with the group, so unlikely to be strategic or not nominated.

Training photos on nicks show Dib is training with the group, so unlikely to be strategic or not nominated.

That’s my thoughts.

I think it’s very strategic and there is some smoke and shadows behind the windows going on 😜.

Great photos too. Just wondering who the kid with the black (non pies shorts) is?

I’m guessing it’s Ben Quaynor, who is also part of the NGA, but I’m not 100%. Other than him being Isaac‘s brother and playing at the same junior club (Beverley Hills) I know nothing about him.

Last edited:
Am (genuinely) curious as to most Pies fans thoughts on De Goey, who is OOC next season and eligible for free agency?

Salary Cap considerations aside, would you prefer it if the Pies re-signed him or let him go and presumably cash in on band 1 compo ?

Is there any kind of consensus amongst the Collingwood faithful about De Goey ?

Assuming you guys may struggle again next season and his issue with injuries (AFAIK his off field issues are done and dusted and not relevant anymore), is the temptation of possibly getting another top 5 pick in the 2022 draft worth letting JDG go ?

Can see a compelling argument either way (to re-sign De Goey or let him go as a FA)

Am (genuinely) curious as to most Pies fans thoughts on De Goey, who is OOC next season and eligible for free agency?

Salary Cap considerations aside, would you prefer it if the Pies re-signed him or let him go and presumably cash in on band 1 compo ?

Assuming you guys may struggle again next season and his issue with injuries (AFAIK his off field issues are done and dusted and not relevant anymore), is the temptation of possibly getting another top 5 pick in the 2022 draft worth letting JDG go ?

Can see a compelling argument either way (to re-sign De Goey or let him go as a FA)

I for keeping if possible. At his best absolute match winner they are few and far between.

Collingwood is building a reasonable list but we are short of top quality Moore, Grundy, JDG, Daicos (hopefully)

It depends on his performance and the exact price.

De Goey can improve further. But at the moment he’s not worth $900k

Apparently the Pies will be taking 6 picks to the draft and looking to use future picks to trade into some higher 2021 picks following the Daicos bid if they can.

So their last 3 picks (58 and beyond) they might trade if someone wants them plus future 3rds if it gets them back in the draft after the bid is matched.

So their last 3 picks (58 and beyond) they might trade if someone wants them plus future 3rds if it gets them back in the draft after the bid is matched.

Pies should try package those late picks to a club like Brisbane for future picks in next year's draft (Lions needs points for a couple of decent F/S players next draft)

This year's draft hardly bats deep, and they probably should pick up a delisted Free Agent or two instead of wasting a later pick on a player who in all likelihood is very unlikely unlikely have a long AFL career.

Wright is a very pragmatic person, sure he will discuss this with Derek Hine, Pies should really try their hardest for next year's draft with plenty more quality kids, esp from Vic on the table.

Pies should try package those late picks to a club like Brisbane for future picks in next year's draft (Lions needs points for a couple of decent F/S players next draft)

This year's draft hardly bats deep, and they probably should pick up a delisted Free Agent or two instead of wasting a later pick on a player who in all likelihood is very unlikely unlikely have a long AFL career.

Wright is a very pragmatic person, sure he will discuss this with Derek Hine, Pies should really try their hardest for next year's draft with plenty more quality kids, esp from Vic on the table.
It depends on whether we trade 36 or not. If we keep 36 and the bid comes in a favourable spot, our 1st live pick would be 48 and not 58 (converting 36, 38, 40, 46 into points to match Daicos bid).

In terms of what is likely to happen, my understanding is that at least pick 36, if not pick 36 + 38 will be traded for future picks prior to the draft.

So something that is a possibility would be:

Pick 36 + Pick 38 + future 3rd for Pick 33 + Adelaide future 2nd

First part of the deal (36 & 38 for 33) is a big loss, but we won't get to use these picks anyways. And in return of the loss in value we get a future 3rd upgraded to a future 2nd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back