Certified Legendary Thread CONFIRMED: Welcome to Hawthorn, Shaun Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

God I'm glad we picked this bloke up. Just an amazing footballer. And to think many thought we'd get a couple of years out of his dodgy knees and we overpaid. This bloke could possibly be the greatest bargain in the history of footy
True. Stewey Dew would be up there although nowhere near as many games. But perhaps single handedly won 2008 for us.

Staggering he has only been AA once... same as Ryan Griffin, Leon Davis, Beau Waters, Tom Rockliff, James Kelly.... and half as many as Travis Boak and Joel Bowden !!!

It's just another example of All-Australian selection being a hopeless measure of how good a player is.

Staggering he has only been AA once... same as Ryan Griffin, Leon Davis, Beau Waters, Tom Rockliff, James Kelly.... and half as many as Travis Boak and Joel Bowden !!!
Laughable and instructive of what sort of fluff selectors look at when deciding. Empty stats with padded run a rounds. Well whatever turns them on I suppose. It's like brownlows are really fashion shows and coaches awards comedy festivals. I would rather have the most complete footballer of the last 20 years in my team. Also looks a gentleman and leader.

Laughable and instructive of what sort of fluff selectors look at when deciding. Empty stats with padded run a rounds. Well whatever turns them on I suppose. It's like brownlows are really fashion shows and coaches awards comedy festivals. I would rather have the most complete footballer of the last 20 years in my team. Also looks a gentleman and leader.

Just love the way he goes about it. Supposedly started his career as FF. Like Pav has dominated all parts of the ground.

Just love the way he goes about it. Supposedly started his career as FF. Like Pav has dominated all parts of the ground.
Didn't know that. Likewise- is there any skill he doesn't have to go along with his incredible toughness and good sportsmanship. Sometimes I think I may be over compensating because I had some doubt about him overcoming his injuries when he joined us then I watch a few games and then it's a clear nah! Someone last year produced a short gif which showed a play sequence where he chased and tackled on 4 occasions and won the ball- sums him up. And I think it was this year where he willed himself to win the ball on a flank and set up Bruest who missed the shot. I'll stop there before I'm barred!

Didn't know that. Likewise- is there any skill he doesn't have to go along with his incredible toughness and good sportsmanship. Sometimes I think I may be over compensating because I had some doubt about him overcoming his injuries when he joined us then I watch a few games and then it's a clear nah! Someone last year produced a short gif which showed a play sequence where he chased and tackled on 4 occasions and won the ball- sums him up. And I think it was this year where he willed himself to win the ball on a flank and set up Bruest who missed the shot. I'll stop there before I'm barred!

Saw a great interview when they were asking him about a game and he was like the sweetest kid you could imagine (aged 32 or whatever) and then they mentioned how physical and how some of the stuff aimed at him was so off the ball and he just smiled and said i like footy that way.

Saw a great interview when they were asking him about a game and he was like the sweetest kid you could imagine (aged 32 or whatever) and then they mentioned how physical and how some of the stuff aimed at him was so off the ball and he just smiled and said i like footy that way.
Thanks I'll YouTube that. Another good show was the one where all the interviews with mainly opposition players before his 300th game. The respect and affection was universal. Basically it was a we love you Shauny show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Burgoyne to Hawks?

Love the way a lot of you blokes are willing to toss away Willo with such a lack of consideration for what he has given to our club. All for a bloke that "yes" has talent.... but also has had serious knee issues for 12 months.

I watched our 08 GF win last night and I would like you all to go and do the same taking particular note of Willo's efforts... his chasing, harassing and his accuracy. Through our darker years earlier this decade he was the one bloke that actually stodd up despite his size.

I dont think Willo is untouchable by any means... but I'd expect him to get the same sort of loyalty from we true supporters that Brownie received yesterday. It makes me sick to the guts that Browny could get on here and see a page full of support... yet WIllo could log on and for his 242 goals and 111 games we are saying "*hit yeah.. flick WIllo for a draft pick...". Disgusts me.
Is this guy still on the forums? Absolute gold post! Williams goes on to play one game for the bombers and burgers goes on to be a superstar of the game

Sent from my HUAWEI RIO-L02 using Tapatalk

Either way this Burgoyne trade will cost us a premiership.

Why?

1.) Our pick 9 has been tied down the entire trade period. Fortuitiously Darren Jolly wanted to come back to Melbourne. Yet we could do nothing because our pick 9 has been tied down to a player who may or may not even come to Hawthorn. Our moral obligation to Shaun Burgoyne rightly or wrongly has meant we could not move on Jolly. It would truly be a dog act to ditch Burgoyne when he has done absolutely everything possible to get to us. But the fact remains Hawthorn with Jolly is a better team than Hawthorn with Burgoyne

2.) Port Adelaide's pig headedness has meant that the uncertainty with our picks translates into us not being able to deal for another quality ruckman. All our resources have been directed towards this one trade. And yet we run the risk of going into 2010 with only 2 possible ruck choices both of whom are of questionable level.

Now it isn't Pelchen's fault that Robbie Campbell had to retire for he couldnt have seen this coming when he had SB in his sights many months ago. But still I believe this week's events will affect us very negatively when we reflect on it at the end of next year or even the year beyond that.
This one too.

This one too.

And posters back then had access to the medicals of both players to be able to read the future??
I mean seriously.

And posters back then had access to the medicals of both players to be able to read the future??
I mean seriously.
Probs not, but it's still funny none the less because it's exactly the same situation as we're going through now. Some people still think they know better than a 4 time premiership coach and his group of brains trusts.

I mean seriously.

Yes, it's a hindsight thing.

But when posters go gangbusters, they deserve the crap.

Is this guy still on the forums? Absolute gold post! Williams goes on to play one game for the bombers and burgers goes on to be a superstar of the game

that is all very well in hindsight, however Williams was great in the 2008 premiership and I did enjoy watching him play, he was one of my favourites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back