List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

At least SPP would move the ball quickly. That's when we actually look dangerous but we very rarely play in that manner.

Now that teams have caught on to the 2018 tactic we're essentially just wasting our potent forward line now.

Moving it quickly into the hands of the opponent (either directly or out-of-bounds on the full). Who then get to play on quickly under the current rules.

Bleh.

A definite no-thanks for me. I can definitely see why we didn't draft him.

Did we miss that Vanirson kid from Subi ..Maybe a chance in mid-season draft now ..

article;

Subiaco have won their second colts flag in three years with a resounding 59-point victory over minor premiers Claremont at Fremantle Community Bank Oval.

The Lions dominated after quarter-time, booting 12 goals to three on their way to a stunning 15.12 (102) to 6.7 (43) boilover.

Goal-kicker midfielder Lachlan Vanirsen capped off a brilliant week by winning the Mel Whinnen Medal for best-afield as his draft stocks continue to rise.

Vanirsen, who won the Jack Clarke Medal as the competition’s best-and-fairest player during the week, had a team-high 32 possessions to go with 11 marks, nine inside 50s, five tackles and a goal.

The Warwick-Greenwood product, 17, is shaping up as one of WA’s biggest draft bolters this year, with AFL interest growing on the back of a breakout season.
He would have been a better option than Venables or Hutchings. We knew both were not playing prior to the mid season draft

He had a good 3rd quarter, he came out with real intent. It was obvious someone had put a rocket up him at 1/2 time, as his second quarter was pathetic. He's an on field leader, and he was playing for frees getting pushed under the ball far too easily.

Early in the quarter, Shep hit him lace out up the middle of the ground. There was a one on one deep and a 3 on one at half fwd, and he kicked it to that. It was as bad as Gaffs broken tackle.

His tackles and contested marks were all late, when the game was already over. Shane Watson type performance, poor when there's pressure and make runs when the series is already won.

Let's face it, last week he was shut down far to easily by Maynard after half time. He's getting beaten by midsized defenders, he really should be dominating Maynard and Kolojazni. If he gets beaten by one of those guys, allows the opposition to play they're tall defenders as interceptors or 2nd ups. He needs to be better than that, he definitely has the talent.

Maynard is a good footballer. Might be a dick, but he would walk into our best 22.

Did we miss that Vanirson kid from Subi ..Maybe a chance in mid-season draft now ..

article;

Subiaco have won their second colts flag in three years with a resounding 59-point victory over minor premiers Claremont at Fremantle Community Bank Oval.

The Lions dominated after quarter-time, booting 12 goals to three on their way to a stunning 15.12 (102) to 6.7 (43) boilover.

Goal-kicker midfielder Lachlan Vanirsen capped off a brilliant week by winning the Mel Whinnen Medal for best-afield as his draft stocks continue to rise.

Vanirsen, who won the Jack Clarke Medal as the competition’s best-and-fairest player during the week, had a team-high 32 possessions to go with 11 marks, nine inside 50s, five tackles and a goal.

The Warwick-Greenwood product, 17, is shaping up as one of WA’s biggest draft bolters this year, with AFL interest growing on the back of a breakout season.

From the few games i've seen the knock on Vanirsen is his kicking, it's not AFL standard.

He had a good 3rd quarter, he came out with real intent. It was obvious someone had put a rocket up him at 1/2 time, as his second quarter was pathetic. He's an on field leader, and he was playing for frees getting pushed under the ball far too easily.

Early in the quarter, Shep hit him lace out up the middle of the ground. There was a one on one deep and a 3 on one at half fwd, and he kicked it to that. It was as bad as Gaffs broken tackle.

His tackles and contested marks were all late, when the game was already over. Shane Watson type performance, poor when there's pressure and make runs when the series is already won.

Let's face it, last week he was shut down far to easily by Maynard after half time. He's getting beaten by midsized defenders, he really should be dominating Maynard and Kolojazni. If he gets beaten by one of those guys, allows the opposition to play they're tall defenders as interceptors or 2nd ups. He needs to be better than that, he definitely has the talent.
This reminds me of Darling always getting beaten by toovey when we played Collingwood. It is almost like he gets a it cocky for his own good when he is on someone smaller

What's this bout matt nunn from sanfl who apparently we are into for mid season draft that sgio posted in another thread?

Would be all for it if true and Venables is unable to progress to impacting the senior team.

23 year old clearance and tackling machine in the SANFL that has a knack of getting a goal as well. Known for his speed in breaking out of stoppages. Named captain of his club, Norwood for the 2021 season.

Should have been playing AFL years ago, but has suffered from the same recruiting myopia regarding smaller-stature inside midfielders that has seen S.Nelson rejected entirely.

Would be all for it if true and Venables is unable to progress to impacting the senior team.

23 year old clearance and tackling machine in the SANFL that has a knack of getting a goal as well. Known for his speed in breaking out of stoppages. Named captain of his club, Norwood for the 2021 season.

Should have been playing AFL years ago, but has suffered from the same recruiting myopia regarding smaller-stature inside midfielders that has seen S.Nelson rejected entirely.

Better to recruit a KPP then try and turn him into a mid when trying to shoehorn him into a team stacked with talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have had an aversion to recruiting players who have inside mid attributes. Simmo said in his press conference that we could not get our hands on the ball. Then recruit and play “first ball get players” like Priddis. Then get them to pass off to our plethora of outside mids.

That recruitment goes against our keeping off game strategy but the strategy is flawed if we have to wait until they score a point or we intercept mark. Wouldn’t it be better get our hands earlier like at a stoppage?
Which is why it makes no sense that we a) didn’t recruit either Worpel or Constable and b) haven’t developed Ainsworth to at least minimise his weaknesses (kicking) and capitalise in his strengths (clearances). In fact we have done the opposite.

Also frustrating that we traded our first pick in 2018 to Sydney, which they used on a very strong inside mid in Rowbottom, while we take another slow outside mid in O’Neill

Which is why it makes no sense that we a) didn’t recruit either Worpel or Constable and b) haven’t developed Ainsworth to at least minimise his weaknesses (kicking) and capitalise in his strengths (clearances). In fact we have done the opposite.

Also frustrating that we traded our first pick in 2018 to Sydney, which they used on a very strong inside mid in Rowbottom, while we take another slow outside mid in O’Neill
Hey at least we actually took a mid instead of a flanker or tall forward. Baby steps

I don't necessarily think O'Neill is an outside mid. I was very impressed with his game against Perth where he dominated the centre bounces.

I think he's got a bit of the Branders about him at the moment. A bit unsure of himself and as such he doesn't seem confident committing physically to the contest. I see him being a decent role player for the club for many years once he gets that mojo.

He's not the saviour, though. The saviour O'Neill?

Out of curiosity, I went back to the 2016 draft thread. Not a single mention of Kelly so whilst there were discussions about whether we should have taken Ryan nobody was throwing up Kelly as a potential draftee

Hindsight is wonderful

I mentioned Tim Kelly in a Mock Draft 2013 ;

Last edited:
I know a lot of you are fans of Garcia at the Dogs - Bevo specifically name dropped him in the post match presser when talking about the in-form VFL players. With 4 forced changes coming next week thanks to injury, he's a good chance at debuting which will give everyone their first good look at him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back