List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

I'm the same. I think Gov's days as a A-A CHB are over I don't see him being able to complete a full season, we need to cash in as soon as possible and I'm confident in the likes of Rotham and Brander now to take his position and we also have Harry Edwards who will become good with game time this season.

Gaff like Gov has been a great servant but he's gone missing too many times this season, think it's time to pull the trigger and get two first rounders for him as i'm sure he'll finish the season well.

It won't happen but it's nice to dream. We haven't really put any effort into drafting for a long time.
Rotham was piss poor v Collingwood and was rag dolled. He was ahead of the lockdown by refusing to stand next to an opponent and compliant with social distancing.

Brander - I will not accept the club believe he can play KPD until he is played there. We drafted too many KPP and are now playing them out of position

Let us face facts. O’Brien has made a career in favouring skill and school captaincy over hard nuts. People are calling for Trew to play because he is the odd ball. He is a tough inside mid.

WTF do people think we will change? Take out Shuey and Yeo and we are soft midfielders.

What really surprises me is that Simmo was a tough nut when he played. Was Mitchell’s impact in 2018 the difference?

Birds of Tokyo new lyrics

We’re the Eagles
Softcook Eagles

Bigfooty Big brother knows what a Soft Cook really is

Our forwards just struggle to find separation which leads to the ball hitting the deck, being contested and rebounding back.

Compare this to forward entries that the Geelong forwards were receiving and it looks like they kept strolling through for marks with little to no pressure.
It's the midfield.

Imagine if we had the Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox midfield feeding JK, JD and OAllen.

Our midfield is slow, and with Shuey and Yeo out, lacks any ability to apply pressure when the ball is coming out of our forward line. Sheed is solid, Redden puts in the odd good game but realistically is past his best, Hutch has gone from great tagger to injured, slow and non influential, Kelly is inconsistent and isn't a pressure applier anyway and the rest haven't shown much (Ainsworth, XON etc.) and may or may not become decent mid level players at best. To be honest, our best future mids look like Edwards and Trew. And that's a bad state of affairs.

And a slow, no pressure midfield makes it impossible for our backs to make position and either fill space or man up. Not their fault. No team without a midfield can stem the bleeding.

It's the midfield.

Imagine if we had the Judd, Cousins, Kerr, Cox midfield feeding JK, JD and OAllen.

Our midfield is slow, and with Shuey and Yeo out, lacks any ability to apply pressure when the ball is coming out of our forward line. Sheed is solid, Redden puts in the odd good game but realistically is past his best, Hutch has gone from great tagger to injured, slow and non influential, Kelly is inconsistent and isn't a pressure applier anyway and the rest haven't shown much (Ainsworth, XON etc.) and may or may not become decent mid level players at best. To be honest, our best future mids look like Edwards and Trew. And that's a bad state of affairs.

And a slow, no pressure midfield makes it impossible for our backs to make position and either fill space or man up. Not their fault. No team without a midfield can stem the bleeding.
We have had an aversion to recruiting players who have inside mid attributes. Simmo said in his press conference that we could not get our hands on the ball. Then recruit and play “first ball get players” like Priddis. Then get them to pass off to our plethora of outside mids.

That recruitment goes against our keeping off game strategy but the strategy is flawed if we have to wait until they score a point or we intercept mark. Wouldn’t it be better get our hands earlier like at a stoppage?

Last edited:
Agreed. Over time we have become more and more reactionary. We don't have the cattle and small/tall balance to play like Richmond and the other top teams do, so have adopted a slower/possession game.

This conservative/negative mindset is now entrenched throughout the team.

I like to think I'm not one of those reactionary fans who wants to trade half the team after a bad loss....but....I think Gaff and Redden should be on the table.

Having three slow mids who are not really versatile isn't ideal. Trade them, take the picks and get some speed.

I like to think I'm not one of those reactionary fans who wants to trade half the team after a bad loss....but....I think Gaff and Redden should be on the table.

Having three slow mids who are not really versatile isn't ideal. Trade them, take the picks and get some speed.
Redden is worth a 5th rounder.

Gaff, lucky to get a late 1st rounder.

Put it this way, those 2 are playing for other clubs. What would you trade them in for?

I agree, not sure he is ever going to play. If he does it will takes a year to get him up and about.

TBH anyone talking about Venables as though he will ever be anything even if he fully recovers from concussion is delusional. Has not had 1 25+ possession game of football from U16's through to his entire AFL career.

We were hoping to draft Taranto but he went from a late first rounder to pick 2 in the draft in the lead up and Venables whilst having injury riddled junior seasons was seen as the next closest thing.

Lately the leading players took the Xtra pay cut due to the Covid influence .....now our marquee players are batting due to injury or poor form or both . Eagles have players on $900 K , reckon it's time the Eagles management to make some big calls and continue to look at trade options .

No rant just common sense .

Smart move - we only have two that play inside while Shuey and Yoe are injured again (all be it with limitations) and we get rid of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smart move - we only have two that play inside while Shuey and Yoe are injured again (all be it with limitations) and we get rid of them.
Just because Gaff goes to the centre square for restarts does not mean he is playing as an inside mid. Watch how he sets up. Not to tackle but to get the tap or a handpass and then boom he's off. Could he stop Dusty or Danger or Libba if they line up against him? Can he rove to a losing tap? Agree with you on Redden but not Gaff.

Why start Nelson on a HFF when he is tagging a mid? Because we back ourselves in to win the clearance and wonder why we cannot stop the oppo from getting first use.

Just because Gaff goes to the centre square for restarts does not mean he is playing as an inside mid. Watch how he sets up. Not to tackle but to get the tap or a handpass and then boom he's off. Could he stop Dusty or Danger or Libba if they line up against him? Can he rove to a losing tap? Agree with you on Redden but not Gaff.

Why start Nelson on a HFF when he is tagging a mid? Because we back ourselves in to win the clearance and wonder why we cannot stop the oppo from getting first use.

Boom he’s off??.... not so sure bout that.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What is going on with SPP? Surely must be someone that we look at if his head is right. Midfield mongrel and hardness is exactly what we need. We are unlikely to get and should not demand complete players, we need someone to get the ball and feed it out, plus tackle.

If we want someone to shank nearly every kick then SPP is the one to get.

Dude, the game was an avalanche after qtr time. He was consistent, 6 touches in each half.

Taking 4 contested marks and laying 4 tackles is giving a contest.
He had a good 3rd quarter, he came out with real intent. It was obvious someone had put a rocket up him at 1/2 time, as his second quarter was pathetic. He's an on field leader, and he was playing for frees getting pushed under the ball far too easily.

Early in the quarter, Shep hit him lace out up the middle of the ground. There was a one on one deep and a 3 on one at half fwd, and he kicked it to that. It was as bad as Gaffs broken tackle.

His tackles and contested marks were all late, when the game was already over. Shane Watson type performance, poor when there's pressure and make runs when the series is already won.

Let's face it, last week he was shut down far to easily by Maynard after half time. He's getting beaten by midsized defenders, he really should be dominating Maynard and Kolojazni. If he gets beaten by one of those guys, allows the opposition to play they're tall defenders as interceptors or 2nd ups. He needs to be better than that, he definitely has the talent.

Would the cats take Gaff for Clark? Maybe with a bit of extra compo our way? Guess the issue is Gaff a more recognised player now but only has x years in him where Clark has more years in him and may or may not become better player? Geelong likes to live in the now so might be tempted?

If we get to the end of the year and jk, hurn and possibly shuey (don't think he will but if he does another 2-3 soft tissue he might) retire then window is almost closed and I would be keen on testing out the trade.

Would happily put Clark onto a wing at optus swapping with Gaff. No disrespect to Gaff and would suck to lose him but could work for all parties.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have had an aversion to recruiting players who have inside mid attributes. Simmo said in his press conference that we could not get our hands on the ball. Then recruit and play “first ball get players” like Priddis. Then get them to pass off to our plethora of outside mids.

That recruitment goes against our keeping off game strategy but the strategy is flawed if we have to wait until they score a point or we intercept mark. Wouldn’t it be better get our hands earlier like at a stoppage?

Did we miss that Vanirson kid from Subi ..Maybe a chance in mid-season draft now ..

article;

Subiaco have won their second colts flag in three years with a resounding 59-point victory over minor premiers Claremont at Fremantle Community Bank Oval.

The Lions dominated after quarter-time, booting 12 goals to three on their way to a stunning 15.12 (102) to 6.7 (43) boilover.

Goal-kicker midfielder Lachlan Vanirsen capped off a brilliant week by winning the Mel Whinnen Medal for best-afield as his draft stocks continue to rise.

Vanirsen, who won the Jack Clarke Medal as the competition’s best-and-fairest player during the week, had a team-high 32 possessions to go with 11 marks, nine inside 50s, five tackles and a goal.

The Warwick-Greenwood product, 17, is shaping up as one of WA’s biggest draft bolters this year, with AFL interest growing on the back of a breakout season.

He had a good 3rd quarter, he came out with real intent. It was obvious someone had put a rocket up him at 1/2 time, as his second quarter was pathetic. He's an on field leader, and he was playing for frees getting pushed under the ball far too easily.

Early in the quarter, Shep hit him lace out up the middle of the ground. There was a one on one deep and a 3 on one at half fwd, and he kicked it to that. It was as bad as Gaffs broken tackle.

His tackles and contested marks were all late, when the game was already over. Shane Watson type performance, poor when there's pressure and make runs when the series is already won.

Let's face it, last week he was shut down far to easily by Maynard after half time. He's getting beaten by midsized defenders, he really should be dominating Maynard and Kolojazni. If he gets beaten by one of those guys, allows the opposition to play they're tall defenders as interceptors or 2nd ups. He needs to be better than that, he definitely has the talent.
You have unrealistic expectations. He's playing on physically strong men, he will not win them all.

He wins more than most though, one of the best contested KF of the last 5 years.

Have a good day mate.

At least SPP would move the ball quickly. That's when we actually look dangerous but we very rarely play in that manner.

Now that teams have caught on to the 2018 tactic we're essentially just wasting our potent forward line now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back