List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Yep sorry should have mentioned the draft.

What is our draft hand this year? I cant seem to find it.
A great year for drafting mids. Not so good if you want talls but they are there so will come at a premium.

The mids will come from WA, Vic and SA. I think it is going to be very strong draft and very pleased with holding 2 R2 draft picks. Draft hand is as follows

1619076427970.png

Red WC R3 means we gave it away with the Witherden trade
Green Port and Sydney means we gained it with the Hickey trade.

Last edited:
A great year for drafting mids. Not so good if you ant talls but they are there.

The mids will come from WA, Vic and SA. I think it is going to be very strong draft and very pleased with holding 2 R2 draft picks. Draft hand is as follows

View attachment 1108885

Red WC R3 means we gave it away with the Witherden trade
Green Port and Sydney means we gained it with the Hickey trade.
Trade 32, 34 and Foley for a top 10 pick

Pretty good assessment- lots of sliding doors involved. If Kelly had been selected AND played 2017 then perhaps Brander &/or Allen &/or Ryan might be wearing other colours. Anyway great theoretical discussion point.

As to MJ - this is a kid I know really well. Coming off a quad injury so played 1st match last weekend. In Geelong this weekend but not quite fit so expectations shouldn't be high.
Has good awareness in traffic & unlike some at this level he actually looks to bring teamates into play via handball rather than seeking kick stats.
Rated top 10 at start of season but it's a long season and plenty of things happen. Would take a bad injury to drop out of 1st round.

Well BOND 007 whilst we certainly don’t want MJ to have a serious injury - an ever so slight form drop off at the end of the season, should be on the wish list for us 😉 , so that he slides to the last few picks of the first round.

As you said it’s very early days players always rise into first round contention, that at the start of the season were well adrift from a round one grade.

IMO it is a deep draft and the fact that we have a first and two second rounders is a good position to be in.

Last edited:
Well BOND 007 whilst we certainly don’t want MJ to have a serious injury - an ever so slight form drop off at the end of the season, should be on the wish for us 😉 , so that he slides to the last few picks of the first round.

As you said it’s very early days players always rise into first round contention, that at the start of the season were well adrift from a round one grade.

IMO it is a deep draft and the fact that we have a first and two second rounders is a good position to be in.

This MJ kid, yep, watched him play a couple of games. Got beaten a couple of times and dropped the head and a poor ref decision he was a bit sooky! ;) :cool:

This MJ kid, yep, watched him play a couple of games. Got beaten a couple of times and dropped the head and a poor ref decision he was a bit sooky! ;) :cool:

This kid seriously needs a tent at Rottnest, at leavers.

Well BOND 007 whilst we certainly don’t want MJ to have a serious injury - an ever so slight form drop off at the end of the season, should be on the wish for us 😉 , so that he slides to the last few picks of the first round.

After watching the Subiaco colts match last week Monocle, I saw a lot of Pendelbury in him. Just the way he moved through traffic was so smooth

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched Sandringham vs Dandenong the other night, saw a bit live on the weekend.
Finn Callighan looks very good playing off a wing, 189cm and good runner (Similar to an Isaac Smith) and user. He took some nice overhead marks in a contest too, loved his game and he'd be the type that really suits playing on an Optus stadium.
Josh Sinn, thought he looked class live from what I saw but I've cooled my jets on him a bit. His very quick (school sprinter/broke a school record) but he butchered almost all of his 20 disposals. He looked a bit rushed, and the commentators mentioned his normally very good kick. I'll wait to see a bit more before making my mind up on him.
Chesser didn't play.
Some other ok midfield prospects, and Dees have a nice nga prospect in Mac Andrew from Dandy.
Think Monocle is right, plenty of good midfield options this year. Finn Callighan could already be a favourite of mine.

Pretty good assessment- lots of sliding doors involved. If Kelly had been selected AND played 2017 then perhaps Brander &/or Allen &/or Ryan might be wearing other colours. Anyway great theoretical discussion point.

As to MJ - this is a kid I know really well. Coming off a quad injury so played 1st match last weekend. In Geelong this weekend but not quite fit so expectations shouldn't be high.
Has good awareness in traffic & unlike some at this level he actually looks to bring teamates into play via handball rather than seeking kick stats.
Rated top 10 at start of season but it's a long season and plenty of things happen. Would take a bad injury to drop out of 1st round.
I think with the Vic kids playing hopefully a full year, which they didn't get to previously will see that draft board move up and down a million times before season end. So hopefully Johnson slides a little toward our pick.

I think the championships being held at the years end will be huge in determining the draft order. Previously if you had a injury riddled championship you could redeem yourself at club land, but now it will really polarize players for good and bad leading into the draft.

Why would you call him B?

AFL Facts:
Foley will be 22 this year and has played 1 AFL game. In that game against lowly Norf at the back end of 2020, he looked out of place. Deer in the headlights and missed the pace of the game. 3 kicks, 2 marks and 1 tackle. Hardly developing nicely!

The good news - I hear he is doing well in the WAFL. Great to hear and I hope to see him given another crack at AFL but the body of evidence at AFL is that he is not there but some nice WAFL recent developments.

Remember - Foley is the same draft age as Brander and Oscar. And we usually allow talls a bit more time to develop!
Yeah i thought his B call was a bit odd.foley was an overager who was nowhere near ready to play and had to be moved down back to make an impact

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

And Bailey Banfield (son of) is playing for Claremont futures.
When is his draft year?

Last edited:
And that sliding doors moment Keys may very well be the one single decision, that sees this group of players only win one Premiership rather than two.

Thing is we were interested in Kelly, yet Gorter got the nod ......... oh and this is the point that REALLY pisses me off.

We were long on HBF's and 3rd tall's, yet short on midfield depth.......... so we went with Gorter who was neither a player of positional need.... nor the overwhelmingly best player available.

Then to dip back into the trading scene a few years latter, to acquire Kelly and hand over two Firsts and two Seconds, has hurt our capacity to build depth going forward.

Now let me be clear, I have no problem with us trading for Kelly ( although I though we paid slightly over and coughed up one second too many .... probably a mute point, but it still grates on me ) as we were doing what we needed to do, to back track and claim a very good midfielder who was a player who could help us address a real positional need.

The draft capital that we handed over for Kelly, could have been used to bolster our list going forward for our next Premiership tilt .

Is our list in a good position ? ....... hell yes .......but lets not fool ourselves, the opportunity cost of trading all that draft capital to reboot a sliding doors moment, has hurt our depth going forward.

To me that decision ( Gorter over Kelly ) has probably cost us the opportunity to get a second Premiership with this current group, whilst simultaneously delaying, our next tilt at the Premiership.

We are in a good place but we will need a couple of top up drafts, with some quality first and second rounders added to our list, to lift us up to being in a position to once more, be a genuine contenders.

The godsend is that the recruiters :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: have already put the players in place, down the spine to help accelerate our next trust at the Holy Grail. 🏆
The article on afl.com.au clearly shows we paid overs for TKel Monocle. I'm with you that he's a great asset but the rate was too high and showed poor negotiation skills.

It doesn't matter what posters like BOND 007 try to argue, the facts are clear. Cameron costs the cats pick 12, TKel more than pick 2.

Last edited:
Rhett Bazzo and Matt Johnson the 18s AFL academy players allocated training with West Coast for a week in the next few months . Good initiative another SD player at West Coast would be a good move but 18s players aim is just get drafted .

Watching the academy game, the U18s are getting smashed by the VFL cats (which is fairness has some very good players running around - Constable, Narkle, Fort etc) and umps aren't helping giving cats soft free kicks.
But some players I've really liked from todays game:

- Horne and Daicos clearly the best two, and are battling it out for pick 1.
- Rachele (Vic Country), was on Melbourne Victory academy but chose footy. He's been classy and making great decisions, kicked a nice goal.
- Johnson haven't seen a lot of him, but he had a really nice link up play on the wing where he hit a kick and went again to get the hands and hit another target by hands. But think he's on limited game time.
- Callinghan, no surprise here I'm a huge fan. He's looked really classy, links up well. Can have 2 to 3 disposals in a link up down the wing and damage.
- Sonsie, done some nice things and a few clearances.
- Bazzo, ball has been coming in think and fast. Has competed well at times, but looks like he's given up a bit.

Last quarter
- Eramus, looked good with a few really nice kicks. Like the look of him.
- Johnson, had a good last quarter playing mostly on ball. Disposal very good by hand and foot.
- Mac Andrew (Dees academy), went into the ruck and dominated. He's top 20 for mine, and Dees won't get him unless they use their first rounder on him.
- Fahey (Giants academy), probably academy best on ground and looks a top 20 pick too.
- Rachele got huge cramp in the hammy which would've killed, but came back on and did some really nice things. He's the type that plays half fwd or midfield and really hurts you by foot, got great skills. Tough little player too, love to get this guy.

Last edited:
Jordan Clark has been named Geelong's medical sub for the second week in a row today.

I feel like if we play our cards right, we could bring him home for a reasonable price.

Jordan Clark has been named Geelong's medical sub for the second week in a row today.

I feel like if we play our cards right, we could bring him home for a reasonable price.

When do you get deals done at " a reasonable price " when you are dealing with The Dick Eaters ......... ain't happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back