List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

It’s on their to do list, along with confirming Jamieson’s contract, O’Neill’s contract, Simpson’s contract, Jarrod Cameron’s delisting, Ryan Burrows’ whereabouts and Ron Alexander’s sacking.
So you're saying they've done the Winder draft video at least?

Don’t think we have much to do with this

As Monocle pointed out it’s likely we’re being used as a convenient patsy in negotiations between Adelaide and Gold Coast

And all the Crows need to do is pick up the phone and ask us what our position is.

Pretty quick to defuse it all as media noise or if real.

All Im saying is I hope we use our strong draft positions to gain leverage and an advantage in some form. We dont go around screwing clubs but we also play fair but smart.

There were but WA had a strong team and East Fremantle especially was full of talent. Jackson, Warner, Rivers, Sharp and Truscoe to name a few from a single WAFL club.

My bias was that I saw them play and expected them to be available at or about our 3 picks. I put my hand up in 2019 that I wanted local.
You weren’t the only one.

I wanted Robertson and Rivers in 2019 and O’Driscoll in 2020.

Unfortunately we traded two of those three picks away.

Keys how much latitude will I be given while I’m visiting here?

You weren’t the only one.

I wanted Robertson and Rivers in 2019 and O’Driscoll in 2020.

Unfortunately we traded two of those three picks away.

Keys how much latitude will I be given while I’m visiting here?

This is for the benefit of other posters.

I’ve no issue with opposition posters putting forward their view provided it’s done respectfully even if I don’t agree with it

If you think someone is wrong debate them on the merits of their view and don’t make it personal. If you think it’s crossed a line, report it and one of us mods will deal with it as appropriate

Personally I enjoy reading an outside view as it brings a different perspective

The above was quoted in another thread but there’s a link in the article posted to the full radio interview. If/when you get a spare 15 minutes it’s well worth a listen

Given the discussion around players fitness there was one bit that pricked my ears up.

Simpson said that the players are due back after Christmas on January 9 which is in accordance with the CBA, but prior to that he only gets the players for 10 days before Christmas

Now that would be actual training days as a full group and wouldn’t include the 1-4 year players that are due to come back two weeks earlier. Even still, our last game is August 20 (some players will be hanging around to play out the final 2 WAFL games) and players aren’t required to return until early December

That’s a 3 month break

On the positive side that means there’s plenty of time for players with niggles/injuries to refresh and get their bodies right including any surgeries that may be needed

However, it also means individual players are going to have take responsibility for their own fitness so that they come back to the club in good shape for what I hope, and expect, to be a vigorous preseason

We’ll see who is or isn’t committed to turn things around
This doesn’t seem right.

I can only speak from my experience watching the Lions train during preseason.

Our 1-4 year guys usually begin official preseason training in early November. The senior players are supposed to return 4 weeks later at the beginning of December.

But having watched them, almost our entire squad is back training by the end of the second week with the 1-4 year group.

The draft is usually held during week 3 of preseason training, and our draftees are on track at the beginning of week 4. Giving them a couple of weeks with the whole group, before Christmas break.

But even before preseason officially starts, almost everyone is training three days a week, in two groups. Usually Andrews and the older guys in one group, and Hipwood and the younger guys in the second group.

It’s not unusual to see a dozen players putting in a solid three hour session on a local field during the off-season.

briztoon laugh react all you want brother but Lyons and Zorko are trash these days and Neale is an overrated hobbit.

Mcgluggage is actually a gun when he’s on but is still inconsistent.

No reason why the eagles can’t match it with that mediocre midfield next season.

Brisbane are the most mentally fragile team I’ve ever seen and won’t have any success with that mental (and physical) midget Zorko leading the way so enjoy that

Watching a clip of shane edwards discussing his retirement.

One of the reasons considered in arriving at the decision was 'im not going to be able to take this club forward'.

I wonder if the current crop of older players considered this before continuing for 1 more year.

Whats Gov worth in a trade? Top 10 pick or to old and injured?
If Dogs trade out Dunkley for a 1st round pick they might be willing to trade their pick 9 for a KPD and you can't get one much better then Gov.
Say Gov and pick 26 for Dogs pick 9 and 37.
Draft the Poo at pick 2 then grab a Mckenzie/Clark/Hewitt/Syzbowski with pick 9 and a slider with 20 (Pieman can pick his flanker).
Then try to grab a ruck Barnett/Broadbent with pick 37
Gov gets to chase a flag with the Dogs. We double our chances with the mids.
Barass, Hedwards and Bazzo all play. Hurn can continue on for a break glass in emergency.
win/win/win
1 late first round pick at best. No add a pick for a pick upgrade. Straight out a late first or early second round pick.

He’s potentially a semi permacrock (i.e. always injured) for the rest of his career.

Or he maybe has 3 good years left, and one last year after that.

If you’re asking for anything higher than pick 15, I’d walk away and look for a cheaper option.

This doesn’t seem right.

I can only speak from my experience watching the Lions train during preseason.

Our 1-4 year guys usually begin official preseason training in early November. The senior players are supposed to return 4 weeks later at the beginning of December.

But having watched them, almost our entire squad is back training by the end of the second week with the 1-4 year group.

The draft is usually held during week 3 of preseason training, and our draftees are on track at the beginning of week 4. Giving them a couple of weeks with the whole group, before Christmas break.

But even before preseason officially starts, almost everyone is training three days a week, in two groups. Usually Andrews and the older guys in one group, and Hipwood and the younger guys in the second group.

It’s not unusual to see a dozen players putting in a solid three hour session on a local field during the off-season.

We’re roughly on the same page

Before I posted what you quoted I looked at the CBA to refresh myself on the rules because Simpson’s 10 day comment didn’t sound right

The AFL sets a return to train date which for most clubs is mid November which lines up with your observations. Teams that play in the semifinals or later can’t return until December.

First to fourth year players are required to return 2 weeks earlier than the rest of the squad. Like Brisbane, West Coast do have senior players return earlier with the younger group but that’s optional

Now I think where Simpson was coming from with the 10 days is actual training days as a full group and not calendar days. In preseason they usually have 3 days on the track as a group, with other days spent doing weights etc. Given the full group doesn’t have to be at the club until December there’s about 3 weeks before Christmas which roughly equates to the 10 days

I fully expect that a significant number of our senior players will be returning early

Hope that makes sense

briztoon laugh react all you want brother but Lyons and Zorko are trash these days and Neale is an overrated hobbit.

No reason why the eagles can’t match it with that mediocre midfield next season.

Brisbane are the most mentally fragile team I’ve ever seen and won’t have any success with that mental (and physical) midget Zorko leading the way so enjoy that
Neale is probably going to win his second Brownlow this year.
Has almost single handedly dragged Brisbane over the line a few times this year.

Overrated he is not.
He's a jet.

Watching a clip of shane edwards discussing his retirement.

One of the reasons considered in arriving at the decision was 'im not going to be able to take this club forward'.

I wonder if the current crop of older players considered this before continuing for 1 more year.

Richmond have players like Bolton and Baker to full the void Edwards leaves. They are in an age group we don’t have the same quality of players in which is why the likes of Shuey and Redden are continuing

Edwards is also 2 years older than those two. Hurn is older but his form is the strongest of the players going on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it came to that, I *ing hope you would. I hate the whole notion of walking a player through the preseason draft.

The preseason draft should have been abandoned when FA was brought in and if not then when the SSP was introduced

If a deal can’t be done then the player just goes back into the main draft but gets to nominate minimum contract conditions

briztoon Not sure if you mentioned it previously, but who are the other players besides Fiorini that Gold Coast are looking to offload?
Can’t remember off the top my head atm. And don’t have the inclination to go find out right now (at 2am in the morning).

Maybe your unaware of my own opinion of my own team.

Mostly my opinion is in line with yours, and I’ve taken it further on our board. Albeit, I don’t call our players hobbits and short people, and the like.

Robinson and Lyons are done. Zorko just about as well. Age and injury have done for them.

Berry has a busted shoulder, which has forced him out to a wing most of the year.

And for some unknown reason, Fagan has opted for Mathieson as our midfield saviour (well he’s a bigger body than Robertson, and that’s the only thing he has going for him).

But we do run Bailey and Rayner a lot more through our midfield these days, and have taken to “resting” Lyons forward.

Of the current top 9 teams on the ladder, I reckon our midfield betters only Richmond’s.

I’m quite happy to wager our mentally fragile and ageing midfield will do for your current midfield any day of the week.

By next season, with another preseason under their belts, I’d be confident Gold Coast’s and Hawthorn’s midfields would do for yours as well.

Next year is 2023, not 2018 anymore. With all due respect, I believe you’ve got blinkers on, in regards to where your midfield sits amongst the competition.

Richmond have players like Bolton and Baker to full the void Edwards leaves. They are in an age group we don’t have the same quality of players in which is why the likes of Shuey and Redden are continuing

Edwards is also 2 years older than those two. Hurn is older but his form is the strongest of the players going on

Edwards is also cooked.

Hurn is still playing at a high level. Ideally he'd be a borderline selection because Witherden or Rotham have gone past him, but he isn't. Because they haven't.

The preseason draft should have been abandoned when FA was brought in and if not then when the SSP was introduced

If a deal can’t be done then the player just goes back into the main draft but gets to nominate minimum contract conditions

PSD is a joke. Its only function now is for clubs to cheaply draft players they didn't want to/couldn't arrange a trade for. If we end up in 18th after the weekend we can theoretically go to the (real) draft with pick 1 and get Luke Jackson for nothing.

Luke Ball moved to the Pies in 2009, 13 years ago. That should've been the end of the PSD then. Anyone who thought he was worth more than pick 30 could've picked him up.

I'm more than happy for someone like Luke Jackson or Izak Rankine or whoever to go back in the national draft.

Just spitballing here, this is my take on things.

Preliminary discussions have taken place between the two Clubs and thus far, here is where things stand.

Gold Coast asking too much in Draft Capital.
Adelaide offering way under's.

Rankine's manager wants to expedite the negotiations as they are currently stalled.

He contacts some dopey , headline hunting jurno and plants the West Coast fable ....... a very plausible little fib ... because who wouldn't want Rankine for a free hit.

Outcome.

Gold Coast lower the asking price.
Adelaide pony up.
Rankine get what he wants.
Manager gets the big fat commission, then moves onto completing his next piece of business.
Said Jurno created ratings for his employer, moves on to his next headline hunting rumour .......... sort of par for the course.

And the wheels on the bus, go round and round.
Then why wouldn't they just go with the team with the 1st pick in the PSD?

Also a bit of a gag that PSD picks aren't tradeable.

Say Jackson wants to join Freo and Melbourne want something OTT. What is so wrong about us trading pick 1 or 2 in the PSD for pick 15 in the ND? Freo get their man, Jackson gets his wish, we get an extra pick to take another kid, Melbourne get... well 3/4 ain't bad.

Also a bit of a gag that PSD picks aren't tradeable.

Say Jackson wants to join Freo and Melbourne want something OTT. What is so wrong about us trading pick 1 or 2 in the PSD for pick 15 in the ND? Freo get their man, Jackson gets his wish, we get an extra pick to take another kid, Melbourne get... well 3/4 ain't bad.

Probably because you can’t trade PSD picks

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Just spitballing here, this is my take on things.

Preliminary discussions have taken place between the two Clubs and thus far, here is where things stand.

Gold Coast asking too much in Draft Capital.
Adelaide offering way under's.

Rankine's manager wants to expedite the negotiations as they are currently stalled.

He contacts some dopey , headline hunting jurno and plants the West Coast fable ....... a very plausible little fib ... because who wouldn't want Rankine for a free hit.

Outcome.

Gold Coast lower the asking price.
Adelaide pony up.
Rankine get what he wants.
Manager gets the big fat commission, then moves onto completing his next piece of business.
Said Jurno created ratings for his employer, moves on to his next headline hunting rumour .......... sort of par for the course.

And the wheels on the bus, go round and round.

Except if it was just a ploy from his manager why wouldn't he just say North are prepared to take him?

For it to actually work WC have to play along

I must say Zorko has become a bit of a dick. It happens sometimes when players reach the end of their careers and they start trying too hard. Dont recall it early in his career but the last couple he has turned into a bit a of a loser.

Agree Lions look mentally fragile.

Neale is a bloody good hobbit.

And yes, oppo posters visiting and laughing at other posters is getting close to crosing the line. We are very tolerant here compared to the majority of other boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back