List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I want Vanirsen- 32 possessions, 11 marks, five tackles and a goal

They are some mighty good numbers for the young lad.
Big game player

It would be just like WC to see potential in a young lad but still have their doubts and could Rookie list him, only to wait a year and see him ascend to 1st or 2nd round hot property the following year. Ahem... Jetta and Ryan.

Met him through work, he is pretty well established outside footy pursuing indigenous business development. I suspect being an assistant coach would be a big step backwards.
Also a loverly bloke (off the field;))
Boooooooo!!!

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pass on that suggestion.
Goodes has to many other interests and commitment.

Rather someone totally focused on our midfield.

Dean Solomon would be a good get.
Focused and with a point to prove.
Can’t imagine him being a shrinking violet and by all accounts was held in high regard by the Suns playing group.
Suspect he might have been shown the door as he was a threat to Dew.

Nice motivation also to remind the Crumbles that he can coach as they passed him over for Langmuir.

However I suspect with Harvey and Worsfold exiting from the Bombers that Solomon may well find a new home with them.
Love it Monocle, yes he's a must if we can.
Apparently very highly rated!

Jordan Lewis was stood down by Melbourne at the beginning of the Covid shutdown.

I'd enquire about his services as a midfield coach.

Not as crazy as you think. Simmo likes bringing people in that he has worked with previously.

You’d think he would be a great asset for sure

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Usually players like that leave for opportunity though. We're not really selling opportunity as our list is stacked with best 22 midfielders. Depth should be built through the draft, where players acknowledge they are coming into the system and aren't guaranteed games.

Otherwise we will need to wait until a spot opens where Shuey or Redden is currently. Ideally we'd grab someone who can immediately displace someone like Redden, as he's the type of depth we'd like on the list, instead of being an automatic walk up start.

And that's not to take anything away from Redden. But if our list is in a good spot he'd be challenging for a spot rather than playing without any pressure from below.
Agreed!
But I'm sure the likes of Dunstan or Narkle would find it easier to displace Redden than the mids at their current clubs

For sure - I guess we've slotted NN & TK in which will take a while to gel with the others, & injuries inhibited that from happening throughout the year.

The way our mids interacted with our forward/backline also seemed off - perhaps COVID & limited training opportunities contributed that that?

Also, felt like our mids looked best during the period Shuey was first out injured (with Yeo playing). Which was interesting.

Perhaps Shuey could play a role like Dusty or Dangerfield...ie spend some time in the forward line

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jordan Lewis was stood down by Melbourne at the beginning of the Covid shutdown.

I'd enquire about his services as a midfield coach.

Not as crazy as you think. Simmo likes bringing people in that he has worked with previously.

He can earn way more as a pundit than he could as an assistant coach - pretty sure he has young kids too. Doesn't really strike me as someone with a great mind for the game either.

In Mitchell's case, coming over here was a necessary apprenticeship on the way to eventually becoming a senior coach. You're not gonna get many others who would be willing to do something similar especially when they've already got cushy media roles lined up post-retirement

He can earn way more as a pundit than he could as an assistant coach - pretty sure he has young kids too. Doesn't really strike me as someone with a great mind for the game either.

In Mitchell's case, coming over here was a necessary apprenticeship on the way to eventually becoming a senior coach. You're not gonna get many others who would be willing to do something similar especially when they've already got cushy media roles lined up post-retirement
Spot on, why go to WA for less cash.

Spot on, why go to WA for less cash.

That's all true, and you do get the impression that he enjoys his media gigs. I also get the impression that he wants to coach, he did some a coaching course through AFLCA before he retired and slotted straight in to the development gig at Melbourne.

The reality is we are in the middle of an seismic economic contraction in the footy industry and there aren't as many coaching jobs as before. If people want to coach, they will need to take the opportunities that present themselves, even if they are not perfect.

I could see Lewis taking a gig for 2 years or so. Assistant coaches aren't meant to be forever, they have their own ambitions and longer term career prospects.

Perhaps Shuey could play a role like Dusty or Dangerfield...ie spend some time in the forward line
Shuey, Kelly and Yeo - rotate all 3 through there. I know we hate 'resting' mids forward, but the game has actually gone back to that more and more (especially with the elite talents). Also they all offer something forward.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Which is why it's bizarre we didn't try it on the weekend to shake the Greenwood tag
images

I really want to focus on making sure our guys can play multiple positions mmkay

Shuey, Kelly and Yeo - rotate all 3 through there. I know we hate 'resting' mids forward, but the game has actually gone back to that more and more (especially with the elite talents). Also they all offer something forward.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Kelly played a roaming high half forward role in finals last year and was electric for Geelong.

This would be a pretty significant departure for Simmo in terms of his coaching philosophy.

He plays his forwards as forwards, his mids as mids, and backs as backs.

Personally I think being able to play in different areas of the ground is a great idea.

Simmo talks alot about secondary role education, but that secondary role is mostly within the same area of the field.

I'd really like to see some more cross pollination between different groups. It provides a lot more flexibility in your system.

Let's have Duggan move up in to the midfield for portions of a game. Petch can move to a wing, and players like Yeo, Shuey and Kelly can move to HHF at times.

You could provide opportunities to developing players by being less rigid with the roles for senior players.

If you thought about flex on a spectrum, one end is Crazy Bevo and the other Simmo. I'm not saying he should pull moves like Beveridge, but I could see value in Simmo giving players greater opportunities to play in other areas of the ground.

I also think this is a big factor when people say we are "predictable" or that Simmo got "outcoached". Pretty much every week we roll out the same team, in the same position, playing the same role. It is effective and has served us well and made us a very successful side over the last 5 years,

It is also true that it means we are very easy to plan for. Most teams don't have the cattle to execute a plan to stop it, but there is that opportunity because it is so abundantly clear in advance what the team and their positions will be. I think a couple of great examples of this are Hawthorn last year and Richmond in round 14. Bucks made some interesting moves last weekend, with the inclusion of Cameron, Cox to join Mihocek and having Grundy start 3rd and 4th quarter on the bench (avoiding a fresh Nic Nat and coming out fresh against a tired Nic?). It was interesting that Simmo chose not to respond to Bucks left field move. I'm not going to say that's why we lost the game, but it does give insight into Simmo's mindset when it comes to coaching philosophy.

There is a boldness required in order to do that, and Simmo strikes me as someone who believes in sticking to what you know.

Replace those last couple of players on the weekend with Lonie, Narkle, Guelfi, Adamson etc and we’re laughing. There’s good depth out there for cheap. Is our recruiting team up to the task, and is the club brave enough to cut the dead wood?

images

I really want to focus on making sure our guys can play multiple positions mmkay

In that same presser he talked about the outside perception of West Coast being conservative and risk averse, he said he thought of it as being about stability etc.

To be honest, West Coast and Simmo are a match made in heaven.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back