Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Girls night tonight.

Weather 17-26C. should be fine. Won't be too hot either. Not really a factor now that all the matches are basically at night/twilight

Rod Laver Arena
Night Session From 7:30pm
Gauff [4] 🇺🇸 vs. /Sabalenka [2]
[Q] Yastremska 🇺🇦 vs. [12] Zheng 🇨🇳
-------------

Mens Draw
Djokovic [1] 🇷🇸 vs. Sinner [4] 🇮🇹
-------------------------------------------
[3] Medvedev vs. [6] Zverev 🇩🇪

--------------------------------------------------------------

WOMENS

Gauff [4] 🇺🇸 vs. /Sabalenka [2]
---------------------------------------
[Q] Yastremska 🇺🇦 vs.[12] Zheng 🇨🇳

Why are they starting the session at 7:30. What stupid reason is it this time? Should start at 7 or 7:15, like every other night session so far. You know, the draws have worked out alright. The womens is a bit wonky, but at least we have 3 seeds and 3 top-10 players(Zheng will move into that possie after this week) The mens bracket has all the worlds best invovled.

Gauff [4] 🇺🇸 vs. Sabalenka [2] Head to Head 4-2 to Gauff

Last meeting: US Open Final, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2

So the best 2 players in this section have come through. We have the defending US Open Champ against the defending Aus Open Champ. It feels like a semi-final, which is actually a final.

Gauff has a nice, counter game, and she will like the pace coming on the ball, showcased by that head-to-head record. But that forehand is a worry. It broke down in the quarters. She also barely hit any winners against Kostyuk. It was very much winning ugly over 3 hours. If that side breaks down again, then we are in for a quick one.

Sabalenka's semi-finals record is not great. It is 2/7, and her two wins were a 3-set win over Keys last year (so not great) and Linette... If she plays like she has done so far, she wins in 2. Her longest match this tournament so far was only 71 mins in length, and that was the last round. She is also on a 12-match winning run here at Melbourne Park.

Going Sabalenka in 3. Nerves in the first set, a smashing in the next 2.

[Q] Yastremska 🇺🇦 vs.[12] Zheng 🇨🇳 Head to Head NONE

First time a qualifier has made it to this stage at the Aus Open since 1979. Yastremska has already played nine matches. Since she has been in the main draw, she has been comfy, only dropping one set against Hobart champ Narravo. She dropped 3 sets in her 3 matches in Qualifying. So, she must have gotten loads of confidence when she beat World Number 7, Vondrousova, in the first round. She is a huge hitter, and her highest rank was 21 a couple of years ago. Since then, there was a failed drug test, which she successfully fought, and a lot of other drama both on the court and outside.

Zheng hasn't played anyone inside the top 50 so far this Aus Open. The draw really opened up for her, and she has taken full advantage, eventually. She needed a last-set TB to beat countrywoman Wang (rank 94), and she was awful in the first set and a half last night. Still, she managed to find the middle of her racket and smashed Kalinskaya in that last set when her game was on. She has the talent and will have the crowd support plus the support of Li Na, the last time a Chinese woman made it this deep at a slam, cheering her on in her corner.

Not sure about this one. No idea. Going Yastremska in 3, but this really depends on nerves and emotion, which can easily change in a match. Whoever is on and playing their game will win. Yastremska has shown more reliability so far, hence my tip.

Crazy value at around $250 for reasonable seats for two semi finals.

Say what you want about women's tennis, but how could you not like those match ups?

Crazy value at around $250 for reasonable seats for two semi finals.

Say what you want about women's tennis, but how could you not like those match ups?

That's all you need as proof that women aren't the same drawcard as men. I'm sure Tiley would prefer to go back to men's finals Thursday and Friday nights, and rake it in with both ticket revenue and ratings on both nights, but hey, some loud voices have made a fuss, and apparently the French are more progressive.

And it helps 'bad hammies, s**t wrists, dicky elbow, chesty lungs, [insert the excuse here]' Djoker to recover an extra day before his match with Sinner.

That's all you need as proof that women aren't the same drawcard as men. I'm sure Tiley would prefer to go back to men's finals Thursday and Friday nights, and rake it in with both ticket revenue and ratings on both nights, but hey, some loud voices have made a fuss, and apparently the French are more progressive.

And it helps 'bad hammies, s**t wrists, dicky elbow, chesty lungs, [insert the excuse here]' Djoker to recover an extra day before his match with Sinner.

Even though the 2 mens semi finals are on the same day now, they still appear to be separate ticketed sessions.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I like the men’s semis on the same day for fairness reasons. One player getting 2 days and one player getting one day between the semi was ridiculous. This way it’s 100% fair

Even though the 2 mens semi finals are on the same day now, they still appear to be separate ticketed sessions.

One semi will be day session, the other night session. One semi final match per session and still more expensive for a ticket per session than a night session with two womens semi finals.

I like the men’s semis on the same day for fairness reasons. One player getting 2 days and one player getting one day between the semi was ridiculous. This way it’s 100% fair

Well it's not really fair as one final will most likely be in the sun which would most likely take more out of the winner if it goes 5 sets.

And I'll pop on my cynical hat here, but I'd say the final involving Djoker will probably get the night session. Which match rates better in the same timeslot is arguable, but given Djoker/Sinner side of the draw has played the day before Medvedev/Zverev side, they would automatically put the former first, i.e., day session.

However, boys match times are still to be determined.

Well it's not really fair as one final will most likely be in the sun which would most likely take more out of the winner if it goes 5 sets.

And I'll pop on my cynical hat here, but I'd say the final involving Djoker will probably get the night session. Which match rates better in the same timeslot is arguable, but given Djoker/Sinner side of the draw has played the day before Medvedev/Zverev side, they would automatically put the former first, i.e., day session.

However, boys match times are still to be determined.

It’s fairer than an extra day between the session and the day session gets more recovery time that’s the compromise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Djokovic/Sinner the arvo session wow. Woww. I mean Zverev had to have a bigger rest but I still can’t believe it.
From one extreme to the other, Djokovic had nearly 30 hours more rest than Zverev between their matches finishing, so they really didn't have a choice.

It's surprising they kept that semi final set up for so long considering it was a big advantage for the winner of the Thursday match.

It's a myth.

Record since 2005 when the final was first held on Sunday night rather than Sunday afternoon:

2005 - Safin (Thursday) v Hewitt (Friday) = Safin (Thursday)

2006 - Baghdatis (Thursday) v Federer (Friday) = Federer (Friday)

2007 - Federer (Thursday) v Gonzalez (Friday) = Federer (Thursday)

2008 - Tsonga (Thursday) v Djokovic (Friday) = Djokovic (Friday)
2009 - Federer (Thursday) v Nadal (Friday) = Nadal (Friday)
2010 - Murray (Thursday) v Federer (Friday) = Federer (Friday)

2011 - Djokovic (Thursday) v Murray (Friday) = Djokovic (Thursday)

2012 - Nadal (Thursday) v Djokovic (Friday) = Djokovic (Friday)

2013 - Djokovic (Thursday) v Murray (Friday) = Djokovic (Thursday)
2014 - Wawrinka (Thursday) v Nadal (Friday) = Wawrinka (Thursday)

2015 - Murray (Thursday) v Djokovic (Friday) = Djokovic (Friday)

2016 - Djokovic (Thursday) v Murray (Friday) = Djokovic (Thursday)
2017 - Federer (Thursday) v Nadal (Friday) = Federer (Thursday)

2018 - Cilic (Thursday) v Federer (Friday) = Federer (Friday)
2019 - Nadal (Thursday) v Djokovic (Friday) = Djokovic (Friday)

2020 - Djokovic (Thursday) v Thiem (Friday) = Djokovic (Thursday)
2021 - Djokovic (Thursday) v Medvedev (Friday) = Djokovic (Thursday)

Thursday = 9
Friday = 8

It doesn't make a difference when they play going by these trends. It's really the quality of the player that ultimately makes the difference.

what an absolute joke of a schedule tomorrow is, if one match had to be on in the night and one during the afternoon, at least make it a 5pm start at the earliest, why in this bloody world is novak on at 230 in the afternoon, absolutely ludicrous. They really need to get rid of Woke Tiley

what an absolute joke of a schedule tomorrow is, if one match had to be on in the night and one during the afternoon, at least make it a 5pm start at the earliest, why in this bloody world is novak on at 230 in the afternoon, absolutely ludicrous. They really need to get rid of Woke Tiley

Weirdly least the conditions are cooler tomorrow not 30 degrees

Back