Review Dees v Tigers: Good Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again the backline was solid, I know Richmond were pretty weak in their forward line (and all around the ground)but the backs just consistently perform each week. I actually don't think McDonald's game was an absolute shocker, he at least competed but when it was bad it was really bad.

Our midfield looked middle of the road. The only time I got excited was when Pickett was in the centre square. Windsor gives us something different but has had a couple of down weeks. Langdons found some form which is pleasing. Gawn was good, was given bog, but it wasn't a game where he dominated, it was more of a default sort bog game because the guys surrounding him were bog average.

Forward line still a work in progress, perhaps a polite way of saying it. Pickett was the only good. JVR was OK, thought he got better as the game went on. Fritsch is frustrating but again contributes. The rest weren't noticeable. Not sure what has happened to Petty he looks like weid out there just no confidence. His kicking is way off to, he used to be deadly accurate.

I'm not usually in the 'winning ugly sucks' camp, but that sucked. It might be because I sat up in Q46 when I'm usually on the ground level, and I could see the unfolding horror before the players could. One of the very worst games I've seen. First half was Neeld-era stuff, even down to the defender-as-forward schtick.

Good:
Lever - thought he was BOG ahead of Gawn
May - ok, dropped too many marks to call it one of his best
Turner - enjoyed him leading at the ball-carrier
Koz - too good to be suspended, please stop hitting blokes
Langdon - played really well when the game was there to be won.
Laurie - looked energetic and in the right spots. Should start next week to see if he can keep it up.

Bad:
Young defenders in the first half. Taj, McVee, Howes looked all at sea.
Windsor - I love him but you only get to sidestep once at AFL level. He'll learn.
Midfield - Claz was better but not great, Trac forgot to put his cape on and where TF has Viney been for two weeks? Lift.

Ugly:
The turnovers, oh god the turnovers. Richmond only got the ball when we gave it back to them. I nearly had a stroke.
Tom McDonald. Cost us 3 goals directly from mindless errors. Back to the VFL please, move Petty into defence. Gotta have someone play on Hawkins so that might save him.
Chandler. Completely anonymous.

We're gonna get smashed to pieces by the Cats and Blues if we play like that. Got 9 days to sort it out.

Fair summary Squarky

Look it was one of the most woeful winning performances we've seen in a long time so I won't focus too much on the negatives even though I've got a long list of them.

Thank God for our backline.. without them Richmond could have easily gotten out to a 5 goal lead. And with that, I'm dirty they gave the medal to Max ahead of the like of Rivers and Lever for instance who I thought were far more influential then Max. Defenders barely get recognition so it would have been nice to see either of those with the medal.

Blake Howes is quietly going about his business, sticks to his tasks and does his job well. He'll roll out the 23 games this year the rate he's going.

Kozzie is easily top 3 of our most influential player now. I have May and Gawn there, so controversial from my end but he's surpass Petracca and Oliver based on form. When everyone was a fumbling mess he was clean and has that ability to get out of trouble and hit a target. No coincident that when he's in the midfield he just makes things happen.

I said pre game that the Turner move up forward was going to be exciting for us because he demands the footy and isn't afraid to hit the contest. He's an old fashion footballer who plays the game the way it should be especially as a forward. Lead at the ball carrier and get as much separation as possible instead of just getting into a wrestling match. Hopefully that performance was a huge confidence booster.

Can't help myself so he's some of my negatives.

Oliver and Petracca were once again bloody ordinary. I've never seen Petracca fumble so much as I did last night. Oliver was Oliver just constantly bombing it without any care.

I'd love to be Tom Sparrow. Getting a game each week just cruising with my 14-16 disposals per game and giving absolutely nothing to the team. What a life.

Woey isn't a defender. His intensity was lacking last night and got caught ball watching far too many times ehen he needed to apply pressure or chase. I'd bring in Marty Hore for him.

Petty was absolutely awful.. do Adelaide still have that first rounder in the bag somewhere??

Skill errors was unbelievable. I've watch and played better country footy games then the rubbish that was dished up last night. The concerning part was that it was your simple 20m miss kicks or handballs at teammates feet that killed us.

Do this against Geelong and they will slaughter us big time.

The fact that TMac is our most likely player to look to play through the corridor from defence sums us up. Everyone else wants to get it in the middle of the D50 and kick it out wide to get a pat on the back from Goody for playing OUR BRAND.

Skills are diabolical and somehow getting worse. Players like Billings and Windsor were even joining in with miskicks.

Once again it stands out like a sore thumb that our players forward of the ball just stand around and wait for a long bomb. No forward movement at all.

Disco and Howes stand outs for mine along with Lever. Gawn ok but not overly dominant and the majority of the backline did pretty well when they weren’t put totally out of position by horrific turnovers. Midfield fairly trash.

Good: Disco, Kozzie, Max, the defence (exceptions listed below)
Bad: May's dropped marks, how many sitters did he drop? Was he suffering from leather poisoning from his 12 marks and 23 disposals?
Lack of midfield support for the defence, at times, was annoying.
Ugly: A number of players are way way out of form and would be served well with a chance to regain form in the VFL. Sparrow, Petty, Oliver, Trac, Viney, JVR, Chandler. How many of these should we drop?
A little break for Windsor and Woewodin is also probably in order.

Also think we're underestimating the loss of Jake Bowey. We're really lacking that drive and speed off half back and ability to set us up with his disposal.

How far off is he??
8-10 weeks I think they said after the injury initially, so maybe another 1 to 3 ?

Another champagne football night. Always the same when we play Richmond, just a horror scrag throughout. For the last 3 years that is. I enjoyed ANZAC Eve match in 2021 because of Hibbo killing Dusty, Jones 300th and Koz starting a melee in the last, then pointing at the scoreboard. I was on level one just behind those goalposts and everyone stood up to cheer on the fight.

Steven May hits some ripper passes off like one step 50m to someone and then the bloke just takes it, goes back behind the mark and waits to kick it to Gawn. There's 0 overlap run or want to move it dangerously.

Also think we're underestimating the loss of Jake Bowey. We're really lacking that drive and speed off half back and ability to set us up with his disposal.

How far off is he??
100%. No Salem or Bowey in defence makes it really tough. It's a lottery when we rebound off half back.

Steven May hits some ripper passes off like one step 50m to someone and then the bloke just takes it, goes back behind the mark and waits to kick it to Gawn. There's 0 overlap run or want to move it dangerously.

A couple of the horror turnovers we made in the centre square came directly after one of our players declined to give the quick forward handball when we were out and instead either handballed backwards or chip kicked sideways.

Was emblematic of our skill level being terrible but the original mistake is usually a decision to play slow and indirect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too tired to really say much about this game. Still force the ball down Oliver's throat for the first disposal at stoppages, he still hacks it out. We still rely on Gawn down the line for ball movement, our forwards don't move towards the kicker they only want contests or out the back. Our backs don't overlap run, our half forwards are never isolated forward they're only at stoppages helping kill the game.

Another week of wgaf footy. It's depressing

AND. Someone needs to have a chat to Fritsch and explain that he needs to do more than just hang around the back and wait for the easy one.

BT sums up everything that's wrong with modern footy and it's idiot supporters

About 5 mins he said Oliver had a great start and was looking starp. His first 3 disposals were a handball straight up in the air, a kick to a Richmond player standing alone which they rebounded inside 50 and a missed handball.
'best dees mid ever'

No value placed on using the ball anymore just midfielders getting stats

BT sums up everything that's wrong with modern footy and it's idiot supporters

About 5 mins he said Oliver had a great start and was looking starp. His first 3 disposals were a handball straight up in the air, a kick to a Richmond player standing alone which they rebounded inside 50 and a missed handball.
'best dees mid ever'

No value placed on using the ball anymore just midfielders getting stats
Hard to know but the vibe im getting is that you dont seem to rate Clayton Oliver?

Oliver's game was far better than the past two weeks, effort was at least there, still very fumbley but hey it was an improvement, thats alll we can ask for as supporters right? 🤗

Trac's lack of influence all night was pretty funny, amazing what happens when players are tagged. Mind boggling why it doesnt happen more often.

Hard to know but the vibe im getting is that you dont seem to rate Clayton Oliver?
Look I'm on the fence, I either hate him or despise him I haven't figured it out yet.

Wouldn't be in the top 100 players in the comp this year but hasn't rated a single mention anywhere

Wouldn't be in the top 100 players in the comp this year but hasn't rated a single mention anywhere
Youre doing your darnedest to make up for it in every thread. 🤗

James Jordan could do what Olivers done this year for a 10th of the cost of the salary cap.
Apart from the Dogs game yep. He probably would have been more useful in a lot of the others.

Apart from the Dogs game yep. He probably would have been more useful in a lot of the others.
This is why I hate him at the moment. The coaches and the midfield still focus every bloody clearance around him trying to make sure he gets first disposal. I can't tell if it's charity for him anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back