Analysis Does Venables remind anyone else of Judd?

Does Venables remind of you of Judd at points?

• Yes

Votes: 11 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 74 49.7%
  • Sort of.

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 29 19.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You will cop flack for this thread because many posters will think that you are meaning that you think that Venables will be as good as Judd, but I agree with you in the sense that they have similarities and Venners does move like Judd at times.

Venables will be a gun in his own right though.
:moustache:

I've been watching quite a lot of Chris Judd highlights recently (probably too much), and I just keep thinking how there are very few players that are similar to him. That 04-07 period was fantastic, and I haven't seen anyone emulate that since, which is fair enough, really. Peak Judd was up there with the best of the best, and that sort of form only happens once in a lifetime. But I still crave it, and so, that brings me to Venables.

I watched Venners pretty closely this season, and I just kept seeing flashes of Judd whenever he picked up the ball - small, but very much there. The way he twisted and turned, gave the ball off, kicked off both feet seamlessly. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high at first, but after watching Judd highlights obsessively, I just can't shake the feeling.

Could Venables be a similar player to Judd, once he puts it all together? I highly doubt what we've seen this year of Venables is anything close to his best; injury has been a massive problem for him for the past 4 years, and he's probably quite a ways back from where his peers are.

How good could he be?
I've re watched first two games of this season and I see what you mean. He hits the ball with speed and gets past a few.
I think he lacks confidence (missed his first year with us and missed a lot in his snr years of school footy) and once that builds with his strength he'll improve quickly. Just needs to stay on the park.

I think he's shown plenty to suggest he'll be an excellent midfielder but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, that's for sure! I guess time will tell, eh?
You'll have to illuminate me no the "plenty" he has shown. I honestly saw more midfield potential from Michael Braun and Tom Swift as mids than DV. He just does not have the ability to get the pill as much as a mid needs to be...

PF 8 kicks 9 handballs 1 tackle he was very average to poor

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did you watch his game, matey? Very reasonable numbers for a half forward with a couple mid rotations. But the importance of each possession and the field position we earned when he created space is what was so vital to our huge start.

I suggest that you take my advice and educate yourself on players' attributes by watching them.

Very excited about his prospects, in that PF he displayed more grit than Wingard's entire career thus far. Hard work wins flags.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has some Judd moves and tricks but doesn't use them enough atm. Keen to see more midfield time from him.
Would need to get more possessions where he is first. You can have the most skill of any player in the AFL, and it does no good if you never have the ball.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Quite brave under the high ball and has surprisingly strong hands.Tenacious would be the first word id use about him.He knows how and where to find gaps in the forward line.I really like going forward with him,Rioli and Ryan in the forward line.They can all run through the middle.All quick,all tough. To be honest i think Ryan would be the best of all of them running through the guts.

You'll have to illuminate me no the "plenty" he has shown. I honestly saw more midfield potential from Michael Braun and Tom Swift as mids than DV. He just does not have the ability to get the pill as much as a mid needs to be...

I already addressed the "plenty he has shown" in the first post of mine that you quoted - "He's got good skills on either side of his body, he's agile with good lateral movement, he's very quick and most importantly, he's shown a willingness to work hard defensively and do the team thing. "

In that post, I also addressed, indirectly, why he doesn't "get the pill as much as a mid needs to be(sic)...".

The argument that "he duzn get enuf of da pills" seems to be fairly common though, so I'll provide some further thoughts on it.

Firstly, could you "illuminate" me on how he's supposed to get the pill as a mid when he's selected as a role playing defensive forward? He is literally the last in line in arguably the best forward line in the comp. He's there to provide defensive pressure, decoys, fill and create space and maybe get a touch here and there if he's lucky. Being the last in line, who do you think is at the bottom of the list in terms of priority of who the team isolates/wants the ball in their hands/has shots at goal/etc? He has also played just 15 games - not 100+ or even 50 - and he gets about 70% game time.

Prior to this season, he had lower leg problems where he spent long periods of time out of the game. I think it would be fair to say that they hindered his progress significantly. As I said in a previous post, I expect that if he stays injury free and with another pre-season under his belt, he will start to spend more time in the *middle - probably more so in 2020 and onward but definitely at least some time next year. Of course, this all just my opinion and only time well tell.

*Interestingly just the other day I heard O'Brien state that he's hoping/expecting DV will transition to, or at least spend some time in, the midfield - fairly indicative that the Eagles themselves share the same, or similar, thoughts.

Last edited:
I already addressed the "plenty he has shown" in the first post of mine that you quoted - "He's got good skills on either side of his body, he's agile with good lateral movement, he's very quick and most importantly, he's shown a willingness to work hard defensively and do the team thing. "

In that post, I also addressed, indirectly, why he doesn't "get the pill as much as a mid needs to be(sic)...".

The argument that "he duzn get enuf of da pills" seems to be fairly common though, so I'll provide some further thoughts on it.

Firstly, could you "illuminate" me on how he's supposed to get the pill as a mid when he's selected as a role playing defensive forward? He is literally the last in line in arguably the best forward line in the comp. He's there to provide defensive pressure, decoys, fill and create space and maybe get a touch here and there if he's lucky. Being the last in line, who do you think is at the bottom of the list in terms of priority of who the team isolates/wants the ball in their hands/has shots at goal/etc? He has also played just 15 games - not 100+ or even 50 - and he gets about 70% game time.

Prior to this season, he had lower leg problems where he spent long periods of time out of the game. I think it would be fair to say that they hindered his progress significantly. As I said in a previous post, I expect that if he stays injury free and with another pre-season under his belt, he will start to spend more time in the *middle - probably more so in 2020 and onward but definitely at least some time next year. Of course, this all just my opinion and only time well tell.

*Interestingly just the other day I heard O'Brien state that he's hoping/expecting DV will transition to, or at least spend some time in, the midfield - fairly indicative that the Eagles themselves share the same, or similar, thoughts.
He could be a great mid, has the skills as you say. However, Cripps has played pressure forward a lot, and got crucified on this board for Venables sort of numbers. Players that make good mids tend to get the ball a lot, regardless of where they are playing.

He is compared to Judd, but I guarantee Judd gets more of the ball if he had played Venables role.

Venables has more upside than Cripps, he is still early in his development, but if he cannot do better than Cripps numbers in a Cripps type roll, then I am not sold.

Hope I am wrong, I think Venables getting 20+ touches through the midfield would be great. It's not a gimme that he can though.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

http://www.wafl.com.au/players/view/7141

He has 1 reserves game of 20 possessions. He hasn't played exclusively as a defensive forward at WAFL. I have yet to see him grab a ball from a contest and stream out and kick a goal, like a Shuey or Judd or Yeo. Yes, it is possible, but those two had shown it multiple times by now. Judd, for all his strengths, was never a defensive player. "Butz hez gats speeds and hez whitez and haz da size!" is pretty much the argument you're giving. He might develop into it, but the chances are ~5% at best.

Was impressed with Venables in the prelim against Melbourne. Clean hands in traffic, though we were on top in every aspect so it's a tiny sample size.

15 games for 10 touches a game and 9 goals isn't anything to get too excited about but that's pretty comparable to Cripps in his first couple of years. I'll be happy if Venables becomes a 15 disposal 1-2 goal a game half forward, but I reckon he'll end up a low 20s midfielder who kicks 10-20 goals a year.

He has 1 reserves game of 20 possessions. He hasn't played exclusively as a defensive forward at WAFL. I have yet to see him grab a ball from a contest and stream out and kick a goal, like a Shuey or Judd or Yeo. Yes, it is possible, but those two had shown it multiple times by now. Judd, for all his strengths, was never a defensive player. "Butz hez gats speeds and hez whitez and haz da size!" is pretty much the argument you're giving. He might develop into it, but the chances are ~5% at best.

From 2:20 to 3:00
and 3:45
tell me that's not Shuey

From 2:20 to 3:00
and 3:45
tell me that's not Shuey

Yup, saw that and thought he was the next Shuey. Then there was the whole 2018 season... different level at AFL. Maybe he just needs some confidence, however we've seen it translate for Ryan and Rioli so I'm hoping it's a maturity thing and next year he'll have more confidence.

Right, glad we cleared that up. Shall we agree to disagree? Let's move on and let time be the decider.

Back