Club Focus Essendon 2020 - Caldwell, Hund, Wright, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Eyre, Brand

AFL Club Focus

What is the biggest priority at Essendon?

• Key forwards

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Key defenders

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Big mids

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Ruck division

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 10.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

He's the one that should be up for trade rather than the likes of Laverde

Who would take him?

Fairly certain he went through the James Hird Academy with Daniher. Maybe the club is holding onto him until they know what is happening with Daniher? Maybe having Long at the club is beneficial for his mental state? (Very long bow to draw I know)

He goes in a lot harder than some one like Langford.

We don't have many of those on our list who's like a contest and Laverde is one of them.
Bullshit. He's one of the laziest players on our list and comfortably the biggest tease. He picks and chooses.

Well from the games i watched he didn't if he didn't give the handball to Walla we wouldn't have won that game
So 10 seconds out of about 18 hours of football? Sure

What about his last game against Port in 2018? seems to me he's finally over his injuries now we want to trade him would be waste imo plus we won't get much for him.
So one good moment one year and one good game the year before. He's produced jack s**t and I'm sick of the excuses people make for him.

That's because he's been injured.

imo I think we should give him a full year in the seniors if he still doesn't improve then he can go at the end of next season
He wasn't injured this year. He produced * all. Time to move him on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that we know Joe and Orazio's intention, what to do???

Joe's scenario:
Is Pick 5 and, potentially pick 9 from Carlton Papley deal, enough for Joe? I say no. Jake Lever was worth 2 first rounders to Melbourne without a B n F and an All-Aust under his belt. Therefore, I think we could ask for pick 5, 25 and perhaps Luke Parker; he's Victorian and the inside, hard-nosed midfielder we're craving. That potentially leaves Syd with pick 9.

Or, do we go for picks 5, 9 and a future 1st round to lure Jeremy Cameron - as crazy as it sounds? I don't often like what David King has to say but recently he flagged an outlandish deal to land JC. Therefore, it would have to be mega; Pick 5 and 9 and a future 1st round pick in 2020. Perhaps throw McKernan in to replace their departing key-position players in Tomlinson and Patton.

Scenari-Orazio:
Parker is a long shot, so to fill that void I would like to acquire Ollie Wines, but that also seems unlikely, however an extra 1st round pick may get Port thinking. Sam P-P has been floated, therefore, is he a fair trade for Raz? As good as Raz can be, his stocks aren't exactly sky-high at the moment. He hasn't seen the form of 2017 in the last 2 years. Furthermore, Sam PP's numbers plateaued in 2019. Hence I would pull that trigger for a straight swap.

Joe's scenario:
Is Pick 5 and, potentially pick 9 from Carlton Papley deal, enough for Joe? I say no. Jake Lever was worth 2 first rounders to Melbourne without a B n F and an All-Aust under his belt. Therefore, I think we could ask for pick 5, 25 and perhaps Luke Parker; he's Victorian and the inside, hard-nosed midfielder we're craving. That potentially leaves Syd with pick 9.

Or, do we go for picks 5, 9 and a future 1st round to lure Jeremy Cameron - as crazy as it sounds? I don't often like what David King has to say but recently he flagged an outlandish deal to land JC. Therefore, it would have to be mega; Pick 5 and 9 and a future 1st round pick in 2020. Perhaps throw McKernan in to replace their departing key-position players in Tomlinson and Patton.

Scenari-Orazio:
Parker is a long shot, so to fill that void I would like to acquire Ollie Wines, but that also seems unlikely, however an extra 1st round pick may get Port thinking. Sam P-P has been floated, therefore, is he a fair trade for Raz? As good as Raz can be, his stocks aren't exactly sky-high at the moment. He hasn't seen the form of 2017 in the last 2 years. Furthermore, Sam PP's numbers plateaued in 2019. Hence I would pull that trigger for a straight swap.

Fantasia hasn’t requested a trade yet. If/when that happens we will have to cross that bridge

Joe's scenario:

Scenari-Orazio:
Jake Lever was 21, one of the better defenders at the time and had played more than 11 games in his past 2 seasons prior to the trade. Look at the picks that were used rather than just saying 2 first rounders, pick 10 and pick 19 with pick 39 coming back to Adelaide is not the same as picks 5 & 9.

Also, if you're bringing up credentials to value a player, Luke Parker has 2 BNFs, an All-Australian selection and is a co-captain. There's no way 5, 25 and Luke Parker would go down.

Jake Lever was 21, one of the better defenders at the time and had played more than 11 games in his past 2 seasons prior to the trade. Look at the picks that were used rather than just saying 2 first rounders, pick 10 and pick 19 with pick 39 coming back to Adelaide is not the same as picks 5 & 9.

Also, if you're bringing up credentials to value a player, Luke Parker has 2 BNFs, an All-Australian selection and is a co-captain. There's no way 5, 25 and Luke Parker would go down.
Lever wasn't even 21. He was playing solid football in a very good team at the time - he was not 'one of the better defenders in the comp', more like a 'promising defender'. Going to Melb meant he would have far more pressure on him to live up to his status. Two 1st rounders was a bit rich imo for someone that young without a BnF or All-Aust.

I wasn't suggesting 5, 9 and Parker. It says 5, 25 and Parker. LP has 1 All-Aust, so does Joe, LP has 2 BnF's to Joe's 1 before injury.

That would be my first offer. I would settle for pick 5 and Parker simply because he is what we need, not draft picks.

Last edited:
I agree. But I wasn't suggesting 5, 9 and Parker. It says 5, 25 and Parker. LP has 1 All-Aust, so does Joe, LP has 2 BnF's to Joe's 1 before injury.

That would be my first offer. I would settle for 5 and Parker simply because he is what we need, not draft picks.
I never said you were suggesting 5, 9 and Parker, I said there's no way 5, 25 and Luke Parker would go down. What's making you think they would part with their co-captain in Parker and a top 5 pick for Daniher who's had issues with his body? If Parker was to miraculously be involved in any trade I would be asking for a pick back if I were Sydney.

I never said you were suggesting 5, 9 and Parker, I said there's no way 5, 25 and Luke Parker would go down. What's making you think they would part with their co-captain in Parker and a top 5 pick for Daniher who's had issues with his body? If Parker was to miraculously be involved in any trade I would be asking for a pick back if I were Sydney.

For these reasons:
- Parker is a Victorian
- Sydney are coming off their worst season during his career and are clearly in a rebuilding phase
- Buddy will be 33 next season, JPK will be 32 - they won't be in the next Swans p'ship
- Grundy and McVeigh are gone
- Zak Jones has requested a trade

I know Jones, J Mc and Grundy aren't stars, it is simply factual and a shitload of experience. The Sydney canvas is changing more than it as has in quite some time - the fact that they want Joe suggests that. It is preparation for life after Buddy. Therefore, maybe LP is open to a move back home?

All I am saying is that I would be preparing as many options as possible to attain Parker given where Sydney are at the moment. Joe is by far our most valuable commodity, therefore this would be a golden opportunity for EFC to land Parker.

Port get: Fantasia + 31 - Ess get pick 10 (He hasn't requested, but looks likely)
Then:
Joe + 10 + 33 for pick 5 + Parker

For these reasons:
- Parker is a Victorian
- Sydney are coming off their worst season during his career and are clearly in a rebuilding phase
- Buddy will be 33 next season, JPK will be 32 - they won't be in the next Swans p'ship
- Grundy and McVeigh are gone
- Zak Jones has requested a trade

I know Jones, J Mc and Grundy aren't stars, it is simply factual and a shitload of experience. The Sydney canvas is changing more than it as has in quite some time - the fact that they want Joe suggests that. It is preparation for life after Buddy. Therefore, maybe LP is open to a move back home?

All I am saying is that I would be preparing as many options as possible to attain Parker given where Sydney are at the moment. Joe is by far our most valuable commodity, therefore this would be a golden opportunity for EFC to land Parker.

Port get: Fantasia + 31 - Ess get pick 10 (He hasn't requested, but looks likely)
Then:
Joe + 10 + 33 for pick 5 + Parker
That trade you've thrown up there makes more sense than the original one you threw up but I would still find it hard to see the captain of the club leave in their prime (disregarding gold coast the only recent example I can recall of a captain leaving is Ryan Griffen to GWS). Joe's also a free agent next year so I think it'd be hard to make the swans give up Parker, who's arguably their most valuable player with Heeney, when he could just walk for free next year.

That trade you've thrown up there makes more sense than the original one you threw up but I would still find it hard to see the captain of the club leave in their prime (disregarding gold coast the only recent example I can recall of a captain leaving is Ryan Griffen to GWS). Joe's also a free agent next year so I think it'd be hard to make the swans give up Parker, who's arguably their most valuable player with Heeney, when he could just walk for free next year.

I've heard a whisper of a 3-way between Syd, GWS and Ess with Patton landing at Ess. I hope it is bullshit.

Note sure if the contacts are up to date lore?

I think the kindest thing we can do is after using the broom to go though our club we can hand it over to our neighbour.

With 4 of the best 5 teams in the next 5 weeks it’s hard to see ess finishing any higher than the current 11th position.

I think there are some big calls on some of their players which has them stuck in mediocre land.

Apart from Ridley I can’t think of another player that has improved in 2020. Langford and Larverde maybe?

They have been crying out for a big bodied inside mid for years. Too many mids 5’11 or shorter. Shiel, Merret, Parish, McGrath, Smith, Ham & Zaka.

If Daniher leaves the forward line looks weak and Hurley and Hooker’s best days are along way behind them.

So who survives that doesn’t have a contract and who is expendable to get picks or players to help fill holes? 1 or 2 of the smaller mids that have currency could be used. Something has to give to break the middle of the road finishes.

Note sure if the contacts are up to date lore?

I think the kindest thing we can do is after using the broom to go though our club we can hand it over to our neighbour.

With 4 of the best 5 teams in the next 5 weeks it’s hard to see ess finishing any higher than the current 11th position.

I think there are some big calls on some of their players which has them stuck in mediocre land.

Apart from Ridley I can’t think of another player that has improved in 2020. Langford and Larverde maybe?

They have been crying out for a big bodied inside mid for years. Too many mids 5’11 or shorter. Shiel, Merret, Parish, McGrath, Smith, Ham & Zaka.

If Daniher leaves the forward line looks weak and Hurley and Hooker’s best days are along way behind them.

So who survives that doesn’t have a contract and who is expendable to get picks or players to help fill holes? 1 or 2 of the smaller mids that have currency could be used. Something has to give to break the middle of the road finishes.
Langford has been really good this year. Saad and Snelling too. Ham has played his best game for the club.

Back