Toast Fremantle's 1st 2016 National Draft Pick: Griffin Logue [Pick #8]

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the vid. Reminded me a lot of Goodes (pls ignore the race/booing/other issues for a moment) in that he plays like an on-baller with great awareness and handpass and kicking skills, but is just that bit bigger, faster and stronger than everyone around him (like an u15 filling in against U13s). And due to that size, can swing back or forward as needed and obviously contested marking is his strongsuit. Great pick.

In the consensus draft, nobody had Logue going any higher than pick 9 (as low as pick 15 and averaging about pick 11).
I'm wondering if Freo's recruiters may have had their eye on him very early when they were happy to trade down from pick 3 to pick 7 as part of the Cam McCarthy deal.
Whatever the reasons, so far from what I've seen ... and I know it's very early but I think they should be given credit for getting Logue.

I assume you mean the Hurlingpeoplenow consensus Draft that was published in mid November.

During the season, the highest pick was 15 and the average was 22. After the Combine, Logue was a big mover: the highest draft pick was 8, with an average of 12.
In the last week (when a lot of information gets out from the players as well as clubs) he climbed further, with a high draft pick of 7 and an average of 10. In fact, 6 of the best journos and phantom drafters (including Brett Anderson,Callum Twomey and Emma Quayle) had Logue going to Gold Coast just ahead of us. So in the end, it was very close, and the Dockers did well with their cloak and dagger tactics if Logue was always their aim.

I believe he was their target, as when I was told that Freo had cooled on Sam PS, I had the impression they were keen on someone else, and were confident that trading down from 3 to 7 would be still allow them to get their man.

I have since been told that Logue put a spanner in the works by killing the Combine, and this made the Freo recruiters very nervous.

Long story made short: yes I think Freo had Logue in their sights a long time ago, but in the end they were very close to losing him. And yes, they should get credit.

In the consensus draft, nobody had Logue going any higher than pick 9 (as low as pick 15 and averaging about pick 11).
I'm wondering if Freo's recruiters may have had their eye on him very early when they were happy to trade down from pick 3 to pick 7 as part of the Cam McCarthy deal.
Whatever the reasons, so far from what I've seen ... and I know it's very early but I think they should be given credit for getting Logue.
yes

Go in to Tapatalk hoping to read some training reports and this awesome, previously unseen footage is still at the top of the board...:rolleyes:

I assume you mean the Hurlingpeoplenow consensus Draft that was published in mid November.

During the season, the highest pick was 15 and the average was 22. After the Combine, Logue was a big mover: the highest draft pick was 8, with an average of 12.
In the last week (when a lot of information gets out from the players as well as clubs) he climbed further, with a high draft pick of 7 and an average of 10. In fact, 6 of the best journos and phantom drafters (including Brett Anderson,Callum Twomey and Emma Quayle) had Logue going to Gold Coast just ahead of us. So in the end, it was very close, and the Dockers did well with their cloak and dagger tactics if Logue was always their aim.

I believe he was their target, as when I was told that Freo had cooled on Sam PS, I had the impression they were keen on someone else, and were confident that trading down from 3 to 7 would be still allow them to get their man.

I have since been told that Logue put a spanner in the works by killing the Combine, and this made the Freo recruiters very nervous.

Long story made short: yes I think Freo had Logue in their sights a long time ago, but in the end they were very close to losing him. And yes, they should get credit.
Quite possibly spot on. And by the way, your thread was really impressive.

The only thing I would add here is that I read the gamble as being that one of SPS or Logue would be available. If that is correct, I doubt anyone would be disappointed.

Yes Thats what i was trying to say in my post earlier, there is a chance that we bargained with bowes and gold coast might have changed their pick from logue to scrimshaw,fearing they may end up with 3 good players (ainsworth,logue,bowes)instead of 4 good players (ainsworth,scrimshaw,brodie,bowes)-
and both teams won at the end......

Yes Thats what i was trying to say in my post earlier, there is a chance that we bargained with bowes and gold coast might have changed their pick from logue to scrimshaw,fearing they may end up with 3 good players (ainsworth,logue,bowes)instead of 4 good players (ainsworth,scrimshaw,brodie,bowes)-
and both teams won at the end......

I think we were always going to take Scrimshaw or Logue if the cards fell as predicted, Gold Coast in my view probably just rated Scrimshaw higher - Gold Coast also needed at least 2 mids and would of been ecstatic with Brodie falling to them.

We could of bid on Bowes but it is a dangerous game bidding on players where you would not be really happy to grab.

Listening to the retired Port Adelaide recruiter Craig Coombes - he had Scrimshaw rated above Logue and thought Brodie was the big drop of the top 10 (though he understood why Freo pulled the trigger). If we hadn't taken Logue - he said he was most likely to have gone to Sydney with their first pick.

All speculation city but I'm guessing we thought long and hard about English early - however I think our recruiters probably knew it would come down to Scrimshaw or Logue (assuming that there was no dropouts from the predicated top candidates).

Interestingly enough he basically called BS on Ainsworth wanting to go to Qld and said until they see some success up there - they are just going to keep bleeding these boys.

Last edited:
Oh one other thing - Logue apparently took a hangar that sealed GG's win in the Private School comp.

Winners win and losers lose...not a bad recruiting strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we were always going to take Scrimshaw or Logue if the cards fell as predicted, Gold Coast in my view probably just rated Scrimshaw higher - Gold Coast also needed at least 2 mids and would of been ecstatic with Brodie falling to them.

We could of bid on Bowes but it is a dangerous game bidding on players where you would not be really happy to grab.

Listening to the retired Port Adelaide recruiter Craig Coombes - he had Scrimshaw rated above Logue and thought Brodie was the big drop of the top 10 (though he understood why Freo pulled the trigger). If we hadn't taken Logue - he said he was most likely to have gone to Sydney with their first pick.

All speculation city but I'm guessing we thought long and hard about English early - however I think our recruiters probably knew it would come down to Scrimshaw or Logue (assuming that there was no dropouts from the predicated top candidates).

Interestingly enough he basically called BS on Ainsworth wanting to go to Qld and said until they see some success up there - they are just going to keep bleeding these boys.
I heard Freo & GC were into Brodie and Logue in a big way, I wonder if the little last minute trade between us and the GC was if the cards played right, we let them have access to Brodie as long as we had access to Logue.

I think you're on the money Moo. Strong word (ie from recruiters and draft experts) in the week leading to draft was that Freo had put a lot of homework into Scrimshaw. GCS and Sydney were also very keen on Logue. When GCS picked Scrimshaw I think GCS were pretty confident we would pick Logue. GCS played their cards quite well but for Freo it was likely Scrimshaw or Logue. Would have been interesting if picked Brodie instead. I think Logue's value ended up around 7-11 range so no issues from me and the fact he is a local is bonus.

One training session and they give him an extra year! Wait til he plays his first game - they'll be chucking a 10 year contract at him.

This must be unprecedented from Freo. How soon before S.Hill had a contract extension? He was the chosen one apparently around the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back