Review Geelong defeats Freo by 32 points in a Monsoon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Close didnt show any attributes you look for in a small forward pocket. He seemed slow for that role and didnt seem interested in trying to make the play when he got it and preferred to dispose of it immediately. Disposal didnt look particularly damaging. He had effort but what player doesnt in their first game. Need to see him in a dry game but i dont think there is a lot there talent wise to work with. Only one game though.

😏

We were definitely more proactive that in the Melbourne game but jeez that was a tough watch.

Great to have our first win at the craypot though.

Harry in the wet. How good is he. Guthrie top 3 for b and f at the moment too.

The question is why did constable only get 65 percent game time?

Is it because his fitness is still poor or because the mc refuse to play him outside the centre for small periods of time like they do with other mids?

In horlin smiths last sesason the mc also refused to play him outside the centre and rest him forward even though he had been fine at it in earlier seasons. Instead they reduced his game time.

Rather then it be a fitness issue is there a perception he cant play up forward or on a back flank?

Last edited:
Rather then it be a fitness issue is there a perception he cant play up forward or on a back flank?
I'm not sure it's just a perception, coaches have said it in public repeatedly, and the effort to play him off HB in the preseason did not go well.

I actually thought fogarty showed good signs. Remember for a second straight year he has had NO pre season which kills a young player as they need several to build that fitness base.

He looks aggressive at the footy and the pressure on the opposition is good, he hunts very well and you can tell its instinctive. Has some class around the ball and nippy with his movement.

I'm not sure it's just a perception, coaches have said it in public repeatedly, and the effort to play him off HB in the preseason did not go well.
This is an interesting read on that subject.

STRENGTHS

• Footy IQ
  • Contested ball winning
  • Versatile
  • Clearance work
  • Marking inside 50
Constable’s footy IQ is through the roof. His smarts on the inside and across either arches allow him to read the play and know where to run to receive the ball. While he doesn’t have the athletic traits that others do from the stoppages, his smarts to find a teammate with ease under pressure is outstanding. His can collect the ball by a handball receive or pick it up off the ground – where he doesn’t fumble and gets it to a teammate, mostly by hand – but on occasions via his right foot.

While not a full-time inside midfielder just yet, Constable will mould into that type of player. His contested possession percentage of 50 per cent in the TAC Cup – where he played mostly in the centre suggest that he has the capabilities to win the one-on-one contests in the midfield battle. At 190cm, the contested ball winning will appeal to clubs inside the first round.

Constable showed his versatility in the National AFL Under 18 Championships, where he played across half-forward and through the midfield. Constable averaged 26 disposals, five marks, four tackles and three inside 50s in a different role. At school level for Haileybury College and at times for the Sandringham Dragons, Constable was often deployed across half back where he would read the play well and intercept the ball. In the final APS school round for the year, Constable collected 46 disposals in the midfield against Geelong Grammar – with plenty of AFL club recruiters watching on.

Constable’s clearance work has been very good for the Sandringham Dragons throughout the season, averaging 4.2 clearances per game. In the Dragons’ clash with the Bendigo Pioneers at Trevor Barker Oval during the school holidays, Constable was the clear best player on the ground with 29 disposals, 11 clearances and three goals. His clean skills and footy IQ make him a damaging player on the inside, winning the ball in the coalface to get the ball out to his teammates.

Constable has shown he can push forward and mark the ball well inside 50. In the same clash, Constable collected seven marks and booted multiple set shot goals from the north end of the ground. Constable has averaged over five marks in both the TAC Cup and the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships this season. The positive from this is that while he might not be right to start the season as a full-time midfielder at the next level, clubs can use Constable as a 190cm marking target up forward, or across half back where he is willing to intercept the ball.

IMPROVEMENTS

Very pressurised and congested game which was quite entertaining to watch live.
That's as good as I've seen us play collectively for some time , zero passengers and everyone went when it was their turn.

Kudos to the coaches and MC as they picked the right side for the conditions.
Our defence was magnificent, worked faultlessly as a unit and set up brilliantly behind the ball. Really like Harry's game and how Kolo and Henry resisted trying to mark a bar of soap and punched to the boundary every time - gave their small no chance of running on to a dropped mark or errant spoil back into play.
O'Connor is fast becoming my favourite player , Tuohy was used very well up the ground to great effect.

Great to see Duncan and Stewart coming back without missing a beat and Menegola and Guthrie shouldering the heavy lifting.
Sav and Blitz combined well and good to see Scott taking the piss by having Blitz on the wing occasionally. ;)
Close made an encouraging debut and could have had 3 , Fogarty has bulked up and was hard at it whist Charlie had a solid return with a few rushed mistakes and a couple of quality gives that led to scores. Rohan forced a lot of errors and Hawk showed why he's such a good wet weather player.

Lot to like about our first Optus win , might have to change things around to beat the Eagles - hope Kreuger gets a shot :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit odd reading all the ‘well it wasn’t pretty’ ‘it was scrappy’ ‘not a great one to watch’ comments - it’s not like we were fielding Ablett, Corey, Selwood, Bartel, Johnson under their roof at marvel - we played in a f***ing flood, what was everyone expecting or hoping for 😂😂😂

That was an absolute soda he missed , just needed to forget the goals and kick a 30 metre short pass to someone in the crowd :oops:
Not sure why some just don't pop it through with a simple old fashion punt kick from there,less to go wrong.6 points is 6 points.

Need to get Kolo a 'Joe the Goose' goal - 0.8 now from his 98 games. Poor bugger.
Is he going to get a much better op opportunity than he did last night - I get the feeling that even if totally alone in the goal square he'd find a way to kick it out on the full

Is he going to get a much better op opportunity than he did last night - I get the feeling that even if totally alone in the goal square he'd find a way to kick it out on the full
Windy wet old night that would have looked like 35mtr out tucked up on the boundary on your non preferred foot to poor old Kolo.

In the post game interview with Tom Stewart, Stewart said Kolo told him he was shaking like a leaf as he lined up.
Not just due to the cold and rain, I imagine!

I think the other thing with Close's game is that yeah, he gave it off a bit, but I think that's 'natural' for a first gamer to want to be a team player rather than a ball hog.

Give him a few games and he'll either keep being a team player, which is good, or back himself to do the work and get the result - which is also good.

Constable found the ball 19 times with only 65 percent game time. He knows how to get the pill. Seeme to have clean hands. The lack of game time is a concern if its still fitness related.

Close didnt show any attributes you look for in a small forward pocket. He seemed slow for that role and didnt seem interested in trying to make the play when he got it and preferred to dispose of it immediately. Disposal didnt look particularly damaging. He had effort but what player doesnt in their first game. Need to see him in a dry game but i dont think there is a lot there talent wise to work with. Only one game though.

He looked very quick in close ( ta da) but seriously he looked quick around the contest and yes hes going to give it by hand before kicking.
Likes the slop.. his father was a mudder and his mother was a mudder.

Coaches votes:

10 Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
7 Zach Tuohy (GEEL)
5 Sam Menegola (GEEL)
4 Mark Blicavs (GEEL)
3 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
1 Caleb Serong (FRE)

Seems reasonable to me. Hopefully this gives the coaches a bit of a kick in the arse about keeping Guthrie where he plays his best footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back