Review Geelong defeats Lions by 27 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Dwayne Russell is heading in the same direction, from passable to excruciating

Dwayne Russell has never been good. He constantly finishes either top or near the top of "worst commentator" opinion polls in the Herald Sun and other publications. There are many commentators (BT, Bruce, etc) who polarise opinion and have both people who absolutely love them and people who absolutely hate them, but Russell is one of the few who seems to have almost no supporters. His constant hyperbole ("THAT IS OUT OF HERE!" when a player converts a regulation set shot), his forced catchphrases, and the fact that his vocal modulations don't match the momentum and drama of the game (mainly because he tries to contrive "moments" instead of waiting for those moments to arrive organically) all add up to his being the worst commentator in the media imo.

Yep.

Some were denigrating him, and some bundled all our kids in one and said they're obviously just not good enough or they'd be getting a game.

Yet he came in and did what he did.

The kids just need to be given a chance. I'd love to see both Clark and CC in with Simpson too.

More than ‘the kids need to be given a chance’, I think the kids should be played when they are actually ready to play when given a chance….

Imagine bringing in Simpson last year, he would be one year under-developed to play AFL.

Likewise, when the coaches/players like Selwood, say that players like Clarke and Constable need to be working on their games, then that’s probably what they need to be doing.

Dwayne Russell has never been good. He constantly finishes either top or near the top of "worst commentator" opinion polls in the Herald Sun and other publications. There are many commentators (BT, Bruce, etc) who polarise opinion and have both people who absolutely love them and people who absolutely hate them, but Russell is one of the few who seems to have almost no supporters. His constant hyperbole ("THAT IS OUT OF HERE!" when a player converts a regulation set shot), his forced catchphrases, and the fact that his vocal modulations don't match the momentum and drama of the game (mainly because he tries to contrive "moments" instead of waiting for those moments to arrive organically) all add up to his being the worst commentator in the media imo.

Derwayne? Get out of here...he's crazy good. In fact, he's as good as it gets.

View attachment 909588

If you said Dwayne Russell and Bruce McAvaney, you are wrong: they were never popular.

Bruce is very false. You can tell by his forced laughter during commentary.
Anyone who has old footy games on tape, 90's for example, if they are master copies, you will often hear the real commentators personalities come out as they unaware they are being recorded the whole time during quarter time and half time breaks. Quite funny to listen to actually.
Denis Cometti routinely brought in his own hair dryer and hair spray.

Bruce is very false. You can tell by his forced laughter during commentary.
Anyone who has old footy games on tape, 90's for example, if they are master copies, you will often hear the real commentators personalities come out as they unaware they are being recorded the whole time during quarter time and half time breaks. Quite funny to listen to actually.
Denis Cometti routinely brought in his own hair dryer and hair spray.

Commetti was a rarity. Just called the game, was himself, never, ever, EVER tried to be the star. Never sucked up to ex-players in the box, never asked what they would have done (newsflash all other dickheads, they're retired, it's irrelevant). He stuck to being a commentator instead of a pathetic fanboy.

Commetti was a rarity. Just called the game, was himself, never, ever, EVER tried to be the star. Never sucked up to ex-players in the box, never asked what they would have done (newsflash all other dickheads, they're retired, it's irrelevant). He stuck to being a commentator instead of a pathetic fanboy.

And he had a brilliant sense of humour in contrast to Bruce, BT etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was ok in his earlier days but memory fades...

Just rewatching “the turn-around”:)

Fort’s spoil on McStay just as the forward was about to take a big grab right in front of goal was so important!
A goal to Brisbane at that moment, just before half time, and momentum could swing away from us.
Simpson, and Guthrie also active around the ball at that time as well, giving much needed support to Danger who was in beast mode.

That third quarter was very good
The ability of a midfield centred around Menegola, Guthrie, and Parfitt to go the distance down two rotations (including Duncan) to go the distance the big positive (even if ably assisted by Danger and Selwood of course). And of course Simpson the surprise packet, first time he's looked an AFL player for me, very handy performance.

And how good to not make the opposition's mediocre ruckmen BOG for once?? Fort competes and then actually stays in the contest when he doesn't win rather than just stopping and looking off into the distance like Stanley does. He's obviously hardly elite but streets ahead of Stanley, has to be our ruckman if we're to be competitive.
This is so true. Stanley's best eg: vs Hawthorn is awesome, then the following week a crap game. Fort may not play a BOG or anything close but he is good enough to keep any opposition ruck honest, never gives up. At the moment he is No.1 for me, a fit Stanley will have sit out and wait for Fort to be 'managed'.

This is so true. Stanley's best eg: vs Hawthorn is awesome, then the following week a crap game. Fort may not play a BOG or anything close but he is good enough to keep any opposition ruck honest, never gives up. At the moment he is No.1 for me, a fit Stanley will have sit out and wait for Fort to be 'managed'.

Agree that #1 ruck is Fort's position to lose now given his performances over the past few weeks, but I think people are/have been a bit harsh on Stanley's game against Cartlon. He was really good in the first half and looked like continuing his form from the Hawthorn game the week before, but then he injured his knee in the third and pretty much sat out the entire final quarter on the bench, which really allowed Pittonet to take control in the second half.

It's hard being one of the only positive ones in here when many stopped watching - I knew eventually their inexperience would break them. Called it exactly as it happened. We went from a Chris Scott defensive, 8m chip kicks turnovers to Attacking pressure football in the 3rd quarter when they realised thats our only chance to get back into it. Then I also predicted we would go back to slow defensive pressure football in the last and again thats exactly what happened and they beat us in that quarter as well.

The exact same thing happened with Carlton except we left the attacking risk football too late and couldn't overrun them. Against Melbourne they never got in front of us enough to force us to switch to attack mode hence the sh*t game and us getting over simply with a bit of luck/timing.
Simplistic nonsense from the true Prophet.

Can I just say that if that had been a Hawthorn coached side that was 2 down on the bench and in big trouble the plaudits for the coach would have been endless. Somewhere in this analysis the Scott haters much acknowledge that it takes a pretty good coaching performance to deliver that with two on the bench?? I'm waiting!!!
You'll be waiting a long time unfortunately.

Derwayne? Get out of here...he's crazy good. In fact, he's as good as it gets.

Dont care what anyone says - the best footballer caller ( includes all codes ) and by a country mile - the late Darrell Eastlake - Big Darrell - some of his State of Origin calls were legendary - and so enjoyable

The bloke didnt have any nastiness in him at all ( which is a great trait for any person ) - also his Motor Racing calls - including that classic - where the 2 team mates got tangled up - ( and then tried to hit each other ) i was crying with laughter

Darrell Eastlake the greatest of all time

Think it's more they're going to remind us every chance they get.

Football supporters 101.
What are your thoughts on Simpson? It was good to see a young player get a chance and show how good they could be.

In many ways, it was the Constable story that we all wanted, sans-Charlie Constable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back