Review Geelong defeats North by 60 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of positives in that game. Dekonnig, holmes, stengle. More fast ball movement.

but one glaring weakness. contested ball. Thumped last week by the hawks and now beaten soundly by the bottom team in north.

if we dont rectify it fast this season is going no where.

how do we rectify it? Other then a glorious return to past form from dangerfield i dont see where it could come from. Thoughts?
Can start by dumping OConnor

Twin towers curently sit 1st and second on the coleman board.. Lovely to see.

Fourth quarter fade out and performance for a second week in a row concerning.. Is it a fitness problem or something else?? If we get out done again the fourth next week against fremantle you have to really ask that question of our fitness team in taylor. We need to run out games strongly

Nope. Just the “Bank the 4 points and don’t get injured” factor. Also, Roos have a pretty good mf group, so any taking the foot off the pedal will result in cheap, late goals. There would have been almost no atmosphere there, particularly late. Agreed, the Cats of 2007-11 were ruthless and tireless, but this group is nowhere near that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of positives in that game. Dekonnig, holmes, stengle. More fast ball movement.

but one glaring weakness. contested ball. Thumped last week by the hawks and now beaten soundly by the bottom team in north.

how do we rectify it? Other then a glorious return to past form from dangerfield i dont see where it could come from. Thoughts?
We won contested possessions today

Haha what game were you watching? He played as a deep defender today. Not sure how he's responsible for our midfield issues when he's not even playing there.
I didn't watch the game today but good to hear. Been terrible for most of the year as a mid.

The last quarter shows how big a difference experience makes. In the just quarter we played Holmes as a permanent mid, ran Close and Miers through wing and midfield and rested many of our key players.

It's no shame but Holmes is still a few years away from having the body to compete as an inside mid. Dempsey was good but he's also extremely small by AFL standards and will struggle to stick and break tackles.

And yet we have people complaining about our performance in the last quarter. Sorry to say but if we play kids in key roles like many want we won't be competitive. Games like today is a great chance to expose them without costing us matches.

IMG_20220424_161900.jpg

FRFqfFiVUAAx1x7

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on assessment ...I thought he was very good today and kept Larkey in check.

Getting better every game....and nice hands!
The contested mark in the last Qtr, a joy to see.

Confident, backed himself, he’ll learn when that is appropriate, and when it’s not.

He’s a really good prospect, a developing tall (204cm), with real talent, that we haven’t seen for quite a while 👍

The last quarter shows how big a difference experience makes. In the just quarter we played Holmes as a permanent mid, ran Close and Miers through wing and midfield and rested many of our key players.

It's no shame but Holmes is still a few years away from having the body to compete as an inside mid. Dempsey was good but he's also extremely small by AFL standards and will struggle to stick and break tackles.

And yet we have people complaining about our performance in the last quarter. Sorry to say but if we play kids in key roles like many want we won't be competitive. Games like today is a great chance to expose them without costing us matches.
It wasn’t so much the last quarter, the main issue is goal kicking. In every game expect 1, we have kicked more points than goals.
It’s a concern at the moment.

Twin towers curently sit 1st and second on the coleman board.. Lovely to see.

Fourth quarter fade out and performance for a second week in a row concerning.. Is it a fitness problem or something else?? If we get out done again the fourth next week against fremantle you have to really ask that question of our fitness team in taylor. We need to run out games strongly

We won the fourth quarter in rounds 2, 3 and 4. The 3 games in which we’ve lost the last quarter, two were over by 3qt. Yes I’d like to see us really bury teams too but it’s not what I’d call a problem yet

Beaten soundly? We won contested possessions by 12

There you go, nothing wrong with introducing young chaps who are not 'ready'. Ollie has footy smarts, is very elusive in the contest, gets out hand balls, contributed to goals and kicked a sausage himself. He'll start taking marks soon enough. His 70 k didn't seem to be a problem.

Mieirs on the other hand has to go - too many errors, can't tackle, can't kick. Another deb can come in for him.

SDK, Miers, Dempsey, Stengel etc. are indicative of a solid list management strategy that’ll have Geelong remaining competitive for years to come.

Need a good, young KPF (not Esava - he’s a 2nd or 3rd) and I’d say you can safely put to bed the nursing home narrative.

Love watching the Cats go about it, love their fans and love the club culture. Went to Geelong vs Brisbane and had a good chat with an older bloke next to me about Cameron/Hawkins combo. Great club and great people.

Ticked every box but being ruthless and winning by 100. Plenty to like. Dempsey will be handy.
Fair enough. But the conversion was really the main factor that was missing in the 'ruthlessness' we all would have liked to see. Would have won all four quarters comfortably if it wasn't for some continued ordinary finishing in front of goal in the last.

Surely the expected score will end up showing the margin 'should' have been 80-90 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back