Review Geelong defeats North by 60 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps, but generally our tackling technique has been ordinary especially the ‘over the shoulder’ frees dished out in recent games.
Needs some attention, may lose us a game.
Yeah we gave away a heap but Kolo didn't give any away. He was low and hard. He should probably be leading the drills

My father mentioned this during the game recently. We are quite terrible at sticking tackles.
I remeber the days we had rugby players training with footballers and teaching us how to tackle properly. May have been the Bomber Thompson era but we certainly knew how to stick tackles back then.
I used to watch Geelong train in the early 80's under Goggin. The great Mark Bos was often showcased to the team as his tackling was extraordinary. A Bombers mate used to come with me was in awe of that tackling. Goggin used to get Bos to show them how to do it. A week or 2 later, Bos played on Timmy Watson and tackled and spooked him out of the game. Essendon had been on a winning spree, and we beat them at Waverly Park. Great when things the coach predicted bear fruit.

I'm getting a good whack round the ear over my Nick Stevens post. A week is a long time in politics. 18 months is a long time in football. Stevens plays well every week, gets a lot of the ball and is a great kick. Troy Selwood was thrilled to get him. Ling thinks he should play 6 games this year. Certainly we need to see him before the season is over .

I don't think it's "strange" to suggest he warrants an opportunity.

I continue to question the wisdom of coaches referring to best 22 in press conferences; that is just my opinion - and what's more I'm sticking to it. Kolo did play well on Sunday - he hasn't made a critical error for a couple of weeks now.

Isn’t troy at Collingwood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do NFL kickers have to run around everywhere and be fatigued before each kick with a ball drop?
Nice attempt at deflection... we are talking about improving set shot goal kicking accuracy.
The original post is about the need for supervised specific repetitive drills to improve a skill.
Are you suggesting that because AFL is different to NFL and Soccer, AFL set shot goal kicking can't be improved?

Nice attempt at deflection... we are talking about improving set shot goal kicking accuracy.
The original post is about the need for supervised specific repetitive drills to improve a skill.
Are you suggesting that because AFL is different to NFL and Soccer, AFL set shot goal kicking can't be improved?
Oh it can be improved but you think it is the same as NFL is idiocy. Soccer is closer but still different enough to not be comparable.

NFL kicker may run 50 meters for the whole game an AFL player may run 5+km before a kick at goal the effect of this is to important to ignore.

Oh it can be improved but you think it is the same as NFL is idiocy. Soccer is closer but still different enough to not be comparable.

NFL kicker may run 50 meters for the whole game an AFL player may run 5+km before a kick at goal the effect of this is to important to ignore.
Thanks for agreeing set shot goal kicking can be improved.
It is disingenuous to claim I stated different sports have comparable skills
I stated other sports don't tolerate players that have mediocre skills
Hence their plyers are better at their particular skill.

I used to watch Geelong train in the early 80's under Goggin. The great Mark Bos was often showcased to the team as his tackling was extraordinary. A Bombers mate used to come with me was in awe of that tackling. Goggin used to get Bos to show them how to do it. A week or 2 later, Bos played on Timmy Watson and tackled and spooked him out of the game. Essendon had been on a winning spree, and we beat them at Waverly Park. Great when things the coach predicted bear fruit.
My favourite player of all time. Had the #24 on my back as a youngster.

My favourite player of all time. Had the #24 on my back as a youngster.
An underrated star no doubt. Do you recall that tackling of his? He was also a great mark and kick. Tough as. Slowed down a bit after his ACL.

An underrated star no doubt. Do you recall that tackling of his? He was also a great mark and kick. Tough as. Slowed down a bit after his ACL.
He was a tough, rugged, uncompromising defender who got the job done week in week out. Rarely beaten and as tough as nails.

He tackled with intent..

He was a tough, rugged, uncompromising defender who got the job done week in week out. Rarely beaten and as tough as nails.

He tackled with intent..
He was a gun no doubt. I was at that Essendon game as well. Rd 22 in 81. I think they’d won 15 in a row or something and we won to take the double chance. He was still pretty young then. KB killed him in the 2nd semi in 80, but apart from that he was rarely beaten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was a gun no doubt. I was at that Essendon game as well. Rd 22 in 81. I think they’d won 15 in a row or something and we won to take the double chance. He was still pretty young then. KB killed him in the 2nd semi in 80, but apart from that he was rarely beaten.
And back to back B&F's.

I was told by someone who followed the players/club closely back in the day that it was Ablett who confronted Bos one night. Punched him and Bos left to never return.
Bos was terrific in season 89. Only needed a few more games to get to 200.

News to me I must say...never heard that...any corroboration or perhaps the someone was just muckraking'?

I was told by someone who followed the players/club closely back in the day that it was Ablett who confronted Bos one night. Punched him and Bos left to never return.

I think the story was that they never spoke again after the incident.

News to me I must say...never heard that...any corroboration or perhaps the someone was just muckraking'?
I will have to try and find out some more details.
Having spoken to another past champion of the club, he said Gazza was an absolute prick of a human being but that may be jealousy coming through given he was the pin-up boy until no.5 arrived on the scene.
I think the story was that they never spoke again after the incident.
Do you know anything about the alleged incident?

I will have to try and find out some more details.
Having spoken to another past champion of the club, he said Gazza was an absolute prick of a human being but that may be jealousy coming through given he was the pin-up boy until no.5 arrived on the scene.

Do you know anything about the alleged incident?
Only what someone else posted re Bos talking to GAS partner.
I think it was in one of the books written.

Timeframe slightly off. They definitely had an altercation, but it was before 1989. You see them frostily shake hands after the 1989 Prelim when the team is walking off. Doubt it had anything to do with Bos calling it quits though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back