No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was anyone familiar with the name "Sam Butler" who retired from West Coast?

I saw his interview and can honestly say I couldn't recognise him.
He apparently played in the 2006 Grand Final but I didn't know his name.

Weird.

Weird.
Vaguely know the name, but wouldn't have a clue what he looks like either.
Not quite a premiership player, but I came across the name Phillip Murton the other day, who played 7 games for the Hawks in 1992 but have never heard of him – which bothered me.

Weird.

His name has become a bit of an ongoing joke as a forgotten/unknown man. He's been an alright player, from memory he was one of their better ones in the 2015 Grand Final.

His name has become a bit of an ongoing joke as a forgotten/unknown man. He's been an alright player, from memory he was one of their better ones in the 2015 Grand Final.

He has lasted 10 years in quite a good side so don't know why that makes him a joke. He has been cruelled by injury so to get this far and constantly first 22 and says a lot in itself

He has lasted 10 years in quite a good side so don't know why that makes him a joke. He has been cruelled by injury so to get this far and constantly first 22 and says a lot in itself

Haha, you Western Australians stick together!

I really had no idea who he was.

Haha, you Western Australians stick together!

I really had no idea who he was.

Nothing to do with sticking together, I hate the eagles but I live in the state so it stands to reason we'd hear more about him, just as there would be hawk players that some over here would have no clue who they were. It still stands though that a guy doesn't play 10 years without having some ability

Nothing to do with sticking together, I hate the eagles but I live in the state so it stands to reason we'd hear more about him, just as there would be hawk players that some over here would have no clue who they were. It still stands though that a guy doesn't play 10 years without having some ability

Ty Vickery will have chalked up 10 years by the end of next season. Just sayin'.

Ty Vickery will have chalked up 10 years by the end of next season. Just sayin'.

And Sam has been named to play in 3 grand finals - then again Brent Renouf played in one of the Hawks and Morton played for one in Sydney

Can't wait to see how it plays out... I hope the Suns stand their ground and Ablett has to play for them or stand out of footy for a year. To walk away in the final year of a contract that was massively front loaded, is poor form.
This entire paragraph is 'poor form'

Did you think the same with any player coming to Hawthorn ?

Why would you want 1 of the best players ever to stand out of footy ??

He has family reasons for wanting to head back to Vic but nah fcuk that, let's just put sh!t on him cause that's what everyone on here does.

Think before you post such s**t

He has family reasons for wanting to head back to Vic but nah fcuk that, let's just put sh!t on him cause that's what everyone on here does.

Let's remember Gablet has a year to run on his front end contract - He must be responsible for this 3rd year and if Geelong want him this contract must be taken into account.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's remember Gablet has a year to run on his front end contract - He must be responsible for this 3rd year and if Geelong want him this contract must be taken into account.
& let's remember he has given them good service. For all the bad that's written on here by the keyboard warriors & the bad media, he has given more good.
People read crap in the media & believe it. Even though so much of that crap was lifted from these boards & started by pathetic posters without a life.
He genuinely has family reasons for wanting to go home, I would be very surprised if he stayed on next year

Let's also remember, contracts mean jacksh!t to football clubs

& let's remember he has given them good service. For all the bad that's written on here by the keyboard warriors & the bad media, he has given more good.
People read crap in the media & believe it. Even though so much of that crap was lifted from these boards & started by pathetic posters without a life.
He genuinely has family reasons for wanting to go home, I would be very surprised if he stayed on next year

That's all very well but he is dealing with Cochrane. Can't see him rolling over, valid family reasons or not.

That's all very well but he is dealing with Cochrane. Can't see him rolling over, valid family reasons or not.
Cochrane didn't exactly enhance his rep last year with the O'Meara trade
Gold Coast ended up with less than what we initially offered
Saints were the main beneficiaries of that deal (besides us getting our man of course)

You are 100% correct though, Cochrane won't be a pushover during negotiations, but let's see if he's learnt from last year
(I really hope he stands strong this time :thumbsu:)

& let's remember he has given them good service.

That's all well and good but he didn't do it out of love, he has been very well compensated for his service and I would be just as annoyed if it was a hawk

And Sam has been named to play in 3 grand finals - then again Brent Renouf played in one of the Hawks and Morton played for one in Sydney
Rebound wasn't a bad player. The issue was they changed all the rules after he got hold of a media love child (ottens) in the 2008 grand final (much like how most of the rules were changed to avoid red faces in future years

Disagree, unless Ablett is willing to repay money to Gold Coast for his breach his contract. The whole point of a front-loaded contract is that the club gets value at the end. Ablett has sat on the sidelines pocketing huge dollars and now that he is set to be paid less and the club is in disarray, he wants to up and leave.

And if this is legitimately only about family, Ablett has no basis to insist on Geelong or bust. He could easily live in Geelong (or even outer Melbourne suburbs) and play for another Victoria club. Thousands of people commute from Geelong to Melbourne for work. Brian Lake lives in Caroline Springs and trained at Waverley.

If it's all about family, Ablett should ask GC to trade him to the Victorian club that offers the best deal. If he doesn't and says it is Geelong or retirement, Gold Coast has every right to play hard ball and tell him to put his feet up for 12 months if Geelong won't offer fair value for their best player.

That's all well and good but he didn't do it out of love, he has been very well compensated for his service and I would be just as annoyed if it was a hawk
Not many players do it for love.
He got good coin & gave good service but my initial post was a reply to CLA saying they hoped Suns stood their ground & made him either play for them or stand out if footy for a year.

WTF is that ??

Hoping 1 of the all-time greats has to stand out of footy for a year
Think about it

Disagree, unless Ablett is willing to repay money to Gold Coast for his breach his contract. The whole point of a front-loaded contract is that the club gets value at the end. Ablett has sat on the sidelines pocketing huge dollars and now that he is set to be paid less and the club is in disarray, he wants to up and leave.

And if this is legitimately only about family, Ablett has no basis to insist on Geelong or bust. He could easily live in Geelong (or even outer Melbourne suburbs) and play for another Victoria club. Thousands of people commute from Geelong to Melbourne for work. Brian Lake lives in Caroline Springs and trained at Waverley.

If it's all about family, Ablett should ask GC to trade him to the Victorian club that offers the best deal. If he doesn't and says it is Geelong or retirement, Gold Coast has every right to play hard ball and tell him to put his feet up for 12 months if Geelong won't offer fair value for their best player.
you want him to repay GC money ??
Are you serious ? Surely you are taking the piss.

That's like a player at the end of his career but with 1 last year on his contract saying to the club 'I gave you so much more than you expected, you owe me more money'

The club is really going to say 'oh you are so right, here's an extra $300K'

Not many players do it for love.
He got good coin & gave good service but my initial post was a reply to CLA saying they hoped Suns stood their ground & made him either play for them or stand out if footy for a year.

WTF is that ??

Hoping 1 of the all-time greats has to stand out of footy for a year
Think about it

Retirement is probably the better option seeing as he is now in his 30's and spent the last two years battling injury.

As I heard discussed this morning, Cochrane saying he is going to stand his ground is because geelong won't come to the party in dealing with them and that's because geelong know that Gary is going to walk regardless and he has them over a barrel and I thinks it's there that the respect starts to be lost.

As much as I dislike him I respect how Dangerfield made geelong compensate Adelaide and if he is legit homesick then he will work hard at getting a good deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back