Review Good bad and ugly vs kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

A couple of specific structural things.

We erred badly by playing Murphy as the deepest forward. He doesn't have the size to be a threat if you put it up in the air. He doesn't have the elusive ability to create space from a ground ball contest. As a defender, you'd be nervous as anything if you were isolated one-on-one with Eddie or Tex within 60 metres of goal. You'd even have concerns if it was Jenkins - for his shortcomings, he does have the combination of size and speed that makes him a threat. Murphy is the least challenging option for a defence to counter. That's on the coaching panel.

Jenkins positioning was diabolical. There is absolutely no value in a 200 cm, 100 kg player setting himself in the back pocket 20 metres from goals for a kick in. Appropriately, Thompson and Goldstein showed no interest in going with him, meaning that Jenkins was that either Tex or ROB were forced to compete against both their own opponent and a spare giant. Then we wonder why we can't clear it out of defence. That's completely on Jenkins.

We looked ugly from even before the match. Our first drill when we came out on the ground were 25-30 metre kicks to stationary team mates. The number of those we missed even without anyone pretending to defend was a big concern.

The few minor highlights were Eddie and Tex's low passes to Eddie and Myles. Brodie, Milera, Poholke and ROB at least put in second efforts, and Keath was OK at times.

Of course we have a best 22. We have a list of players, and in that list is a best 22. Don pyke should know who that is by now. He doesn't.
Our best 22 isnt good enough thats obvious moving the deck chairs isnt going to fix that we need to develop a best 22 but have we got enough quality youth to do so

No one knows the answer to that unless we rebuild and give it a go

If you read this board you would think we do as posters believe we draft the best players in the afl

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

nly found out today that he is in the leadership group. Just when I thought I couldn't be any more disgusted with the club.
I think Jenkins has played the role the club has asked him to. Athletic running tall that pinch hits in the ruck and kicks 40 to 55 goals a year. He's never going to be the 1 on 1 beast a lot of the Jenkins haters want him to be. We have utilised him the best we can. But now it's time to ask him to go into the ruck full time because obrien isn't cutting it. If he fails at that he gets dropped for obrien, because let's face it, we don't have any alternatives, if Jacobs still isn't ready imo.

Spot on. I kept saying to my wife “Why are they kicking it to Tex, he’s not going to mark it in a pack”

It’s damning. ROB took a couple and that’s about it, no tall timber marking power

Which is why a good tactical coach would have Sauce play up forward, drop Jenkins and have ROB in ruck with Sauce as the back up.

FFS you need to have a Plan B or C or even D for that matter.

Which is why a good tactical coach would have Sauce play up forward, drop Jenkins and have ROB in ruck with Sauce as the back up.

FFS you need to have a Plan B or C or even D for that matter.
We did play plan B which was the possession football to try to counter the teams blocking our space and not allowing us to play our plan A which is the quick ball movement running into the space.

Of more concern is last week we allowed Geelong to kick 4 goals in 5 minutes in the last quarter and lost by 24 points, this week we allow a previously win-less North to kick 5 goals in 10 minutes in the end of 3rd/last quarter and lost by 12 points and this also occurred in the preseason Showdown.

Spot on. I kept saying to my wife “Why are they kicking it to Tex, he’s not going to mark it in a pack”

It’s damning. ROB took a couple and that’s about it, no tall timber marking power

At least Tex crashed the packs and brought the ball to ground.

Better than a tall forward who approaches packs like a basketballer trying to tip the ball one handed while not avoiding body contact. Or a tall forward who can’t kick more than 40 metres so hangs off the back of every pack hoping the ball carries over the back and he can get 10 cheap run and carry metres before he has to kick.

Yes we got milera, where are all our first rdrs, in the sanfl. What use was that last night. Either bad drafting or poor development, either way we have blown the bounty of a mass exodus of stars.
That's because we are supposedly "still" in the premiership window so Fogarty and McHenry are developing in the seconds (just like Doedee had to do), and Gallucci had an interrupted preseason. I suspect if we are still s**t 1/2 or 3/4 through the season, we will start to play them (including Hamill, Sholl and McPherson) to see what they can do and give them AFL experience.

Last edited:
Does anyone have the player GPS data for this match? I'd love to know the total km run by our players in each match this season.

The eye test says we should be well behind. Are we not running or just doing pointless running?
Kangas 264.4 km run, crows 257.7

The last vestiges of Phil Walsh are now gone. :(

The Fast Footy mantra has been completely replaced now by this s**t show.
Attack Don ffs, get the footy wheel and go. This is where connection comes from.
Leave the chipping sideways s**t to teams that can actually kick.
Attack? That's what we tried to do against the Hawks and just bomb it down the line were it got easily turn-over so we play this short pass but the players aren't running into the space, this actually was the game plan we developed and trial in the preseason where we do this short pass but continue to move it down the field and not side-way.

Another quite damning stat

We were down a man for the last 3 quarters, we only used 67/90 interchanges

Wtf..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are just not very good at football.

The coaching across the whole ground is terrible.

We have no game plan and no system.

There is no confidence, courage or creativity. Our skills are atrocious. We do dumb things all the time.

On top of that there is barely any effort.

I love watching football (I normally watch 6 or 7 games every weekend) but I do not like watching us play.

Wow that was a nightmare.

Unlike previous weeks it wasn’t just our forwards this time, this was a whole team non effort. Smashed out of the centre, smashed in the clearances and just 36 x I50.

Midfield bullied by more committed players.

I’ll say it again until I’m blue in the face, the process of turning over this list needs to start sooner than later.

We overrate them, they have had secure tenure for 5 years and have shown themselves to be unable to take the biggest step.

I don’t advocate bottoming out, but I advocate making a start with a 2-3 year plan with the aim being for 90% of this group to be turned over.

One thing I noticed about our team is that if you apply pressure and force the kicker to go across the ground, a turnover is literally guaranteed. We dont have the skill level to play that kind of game to switch play and look for loose players. Our ability to hit a player with a kick is laughable.

Anyone that watched the 2’s yesterday could see after half time the benefits of having forwards that are an arial threat, and crash packs.

Himmelberg was a monster yesterday and it wasn’t just his 9 marks. The way he competed in the 3rd especially meant he was always drawing multiple defenders. Even when he got his hands to them but they spilled - it was creating for Stengle, Wright and Greenwood.

Davis the same in the second half. Those 2 make it very difficult for the opposition and easier for us to lock the ball in.

With the great performances of Wilson and Greenwood in particular, it’s easy to forget the influence these 2, plus Stengle, had in that 3rd quarter bombardment.

Our seniors had just 9 x I50 marks, 7 contested marks overall and an astonishing 3 x I50 tackles.

If you haven’t seen it, get a look at the 2’s third quarter and watch how a competitive functioning forward line can influence the pattern of the game, without necessarily kicking goals themselves

Anyone that watched the 2’s yesterday could see after half time the benefits of having forwards that are an arial threat, and crash packs.

Himmelberg was a monster yesterday and it wasn’t just his 9 marks. The way he competed in the 3rd especially meant he was always drawing multiple defenders. Even when he got his hands to them but they spilled - it was creating for Stengle, Wright and Greenwood.

Davis the same in the second half. Those 2 make it very difficult for the opposition and easier for us to lock the ball in.

With the great performances of Wilson and Greenwood in particular, it’s easy to forget the influence these 2, plus Stengle, had in that 3rd quarter bombardment.

Our seniors had just 9 x I50 marks, 7 contested marks overall and an astonishing 3 x I50 tackles.

If you haven’t seen it, get a look at the 2’s third quarter and watch how a competitive functioning forward line can influence the pattern of the game, without necessarily kicking goals themselves
Then they need to be brought in but their dominance is more than likely to be far far far less as you are playing against decent opposition

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just to add a little more fuel to the fire....I watched Tex and Brouch having a talk after a goal was kicked and it was as if Brouch didnt want to listen to what Tex had to say. Perhaps this is my imagination but it just made me think that Brad isn't happy being at the Crows. Yes he appears committed and not happy.

Just to add a little more fuel to the fire....I watched Tex and Brouch having a talk after a goal was kicked and it was as if Brouch didnt want to listen to what Tex had to say. Perhaps this is my imagination but it just made me think that Brad isn't happy being at the Crows. Yes he appears committed and not happy.

FB_IMG_1555217459817.jpg

Tbh I wouldn't listen to a captain that wasn't backing up their words with performance.

Nothing worse than a team mate or captain that is barking instructions at everyone else, meanwhile doing * all themselves.

This is certainly in the ******* ugly...
Umpires are as weak as piss that this turkey gets away with this bullshit week in week out with the AFL's policy of quickening the game up.

This again. :rolleyes:

This!!!

Having a uncompetitive Jenkins in place of Himmelberg is ridiculous. The Berg crashes in and should replace JJ. Likewise Davis coming in, I would have him up forward instead if Lynch and leave Lynch to be a tall wing.

The lack of forward pressure is killing us. Stengle would provide that with Betts, along with Davis. I would then have Brouch up front or Sloane as a marking mid and tackler.

Our centre is putrid. We have no explosiveness with Crouch x 2 along with Sloane. I would bring Milera up into the centre along with Crouch x 1 (Matt and Brouch swapping) and then pull a surprise with Fog into the starting centre to provide bruteness.

Scholl into the HB line with Smith onto the wing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back