Review Good bad n ugly against Richmond - Rd 11, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We have no chance of getting Bolton.. but we should still throw an offer his way.. try and make the tigers pay more and put even more pressure on their salary cap..

But yeah, we have no chance of getting bolton...

Callum Coleman jones though...

Has played two games... is only now playing because lynch is out and he’d know that.

We should put a good contract in front of the lad and tell him to come home.

Even if he doesnt.. it heaps even more pressure on the tigers salary cap.
Tigers salary cap? The same salary cap the enabled them to attract Lynch after signing Dusty to a multi million dollar deal. Yeah.

He is a football moron, its easy to see why we are where we are when this guy was an assistant coach for us.

Just because you played the game at the highest level doesn't make you any where near a competent coach
Too true. I had a mate watch Roo coach his daughters team. He said Roo's comments were about as useless and dumb as you get. Generic, pointless football buzzwords with zero actual help to the girls.

Make him a lock down player..he runs both ways and would make life a misery for his opponent if he was focused on preventing his man getting much ball or tackling him all day if he gets the ball
Interesting idea --- I hadn't considered Keays as a lock-down tagger. Could work.

One of the things the Crows do badly currently is being reactive rather than proactive. Many posters have commented on how the Crows' mids, especially the youth, tend to hold back and wait for opponents to take possession. I'd prefer they didn't. Making Keays a tagger might be a loss because he is one of few who really burrow in and get the ball.
I'm both surprised and disappointed to see that Keays' possession-gathering has improved, but his DE seems to have remained a problem.

Last edited:
I too love his endevour, his ability to get the ball alot and his work rate... but..

His disposal or even his shots on goal when running toward and inside 50 is absolutely terrible.. just d grade standard sh*te..

Its weird... he’s actually a reasonably accurate field kick around the ground when passing to a team mate... but as soon as that team mate is inside 50 and hes streaming towards that team mate, and simply needs to kick it to him or to his advantage, he shits the bed..

His kicking for goal when its a snap at goal on the run is good.. but then his kicking for goal from a set shot or when he’s running straight towards goal is iffy..

I think its all in his head.. and it sucks because these faults just take so much away from all the good he does. Dont know if it can simply be trained out of him at this point of his career.. its probably already been tried.

But then again, if he didnt have these faults, he’d probably still be in Brisbane and in the best 22 for the lions!. Theres a reason they let him walk to us for nothing and its evident that it was probably due his disposal efficiency when it really counts.

The problem is Laird, Keays, MCrouch and, to an extent but not as bad, Sloane are all the same... good at getting their hands on the footy but terrible at delivering it to our forwards advantage.. far too many rushed dump kicks and sky balls kicked in hope.

Having all four of them being the main go to’s four our midfield is a recipe for failure. We cant keep them all. They are workhorses.. we only need a couple of them. we desperately need to add some classy players into the mix.
Yeah, good post. I remember two or three very good passes from Keays to Tex in the first 4 games, but I think I remember them so well because they were unusually good.
I think Schoenberg has the talent to be an elite outside mid at DE.
Maybe Sholl, too, but I'd like to see him muscle up a bit now that he's copping more attention.
A lot of our draftees have been slightly built (think: Jones, Sholl, and Gallucci before them). Jones still worries me --- I was hoping he'd develop into a Tyson Edwards-type, but something's missing.

Last edited:
Good
  • Keaysy on track for an AA guernsey
  • D-Mac continuing his good run of form.
  • Seed racking up more metres, seems to hover around the white line a lot
Ugly
  • Lairdy continuing to accumulate clangers
  • Shane McAdam playing like Jarrhan Jacky
  • Buttsy and Murray were well accounted for
Welcome :thumbsu: .
Interesting handle, but "in the Bowlsy"? Say what? :sneaky:

I love Keays but I doubt that he'll make the AA squad because he sprays the ball. No right foot.

"D-Mac continuing his good run of form" ...?
If you're taking the p1ss, emojis are your friend.

I've posted numerous times that his playing style will not see his output deteriorate until he is closing in on 40. He'll be able to run lines collecting 15 touches and chipping to contests for a few years yet.
... + get rag-dolled by opponents + handballing to teammates in even worse position than him + delivering lace out (to opponents) + ... + ... + ...

I was happy with them for two quarters but I now judge them a bit more harshly than some others as I feel we aren't as bad as some suggest. I feel the problem is with selection and not onfield. Whether your developing or not you still need standards and that 3rd quarter was simply not good enough. The most disappointing part is that we lost confidence and went into our shell essentially beating ourself. Not the way you want to lose. I like Nick's as a coach but too often I hear "young group" and too much talk about the opposition strengths. How about talking up our strengths because to my ear he sounds somewhat defeated before the battle. Maybe that's his personality but he just needs to keep an eye on it as a "young group" needs constant positive reinforcement. I feel today's game was lost in the change rooms at half time. One team came out after half time to win it and one team came out to restrict the opposition.

Richmond are a shadow of their former self. Have a look at their percentage. It's the lowest it has been for some time. They are a club on the decline and especially if players leave which I expect they will chasing dollars (we should make a play for Bolton btw). Richmond has a mental hold over most of our senior players due to the recent history but once we finally break that mental barrier we likely won't lose to them for a while. The only way the club will get better is when they aren't happy with "good efforts." As PW said "you either win or you lose, near enough is not good enough." I couldn't really care less about draft picks, would prefer us to win. That culture attracts players to the club in the long run anyway.
I agree with you but whilst you believe they are or should be better than they are you still need to accept that they are still developing, still learning their craft especially under AFL conditions. For me I want them to learn more about each other and how to react under certain conditions. I think that winning infrequently is slowly giving them more confidence and everyone was saying 6 wins this year would suggest a solid improvement. I want to see how they start out the 2022 season. If we are seeing the same type of stuff( inconsistency not being able to run out for 4 qtrs) then I too would be expressing my disappointment.

Now this week we are suppose to be playing Collingwood. I think this game should be a better game to make a judgement about our performance. Richmond may be down a little but they can still play a powerful game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is almost as simple as if we cant bring the pressure..real pressure like we did in the 1st 1/4 all game then sides can open us up. Manic workrate can hide a lack of class at the top end and many of our youngsters are still learning the game. Give them another season learning and they will develop the ability to hold sides up when they get their run on going. Experience
Exactly 2022 is the year we should start to have higher expectations....still not a premiership or even top 4 but closer to being in the finals.

Rewatched first half. Some observations:

*McHenry was very good. Thought the kid was a bust but he can play. Just needs to tidy up some of his kicking and put some weight and muscle on. Is quite quick.
*Sloane burnt McHenry on two occasions and seems to be playing dumb and selfish at times with hack kicks to no one. Does some good things but spoils it with lack of care for the footy.
*Laird did some good things but there was a passage where he should have gone on the inside to a player and went on the outside to McHenry who fumbled it and then should have handballed over his head or tapped it on and got done for throwing it.
*Seedsman is no forward. Not sure why is playing forward of the ball so much but is quite dumb when in the forward line. Waste's chances up there.
*Fogarty was a non entity first half. Dropped a sitter of a mark and went to bump instead of going for the ball on another occasion.
*Thilthorpe did some good things but burnt McAdam when he was open 20 out and on another occasion tried to take players on instead of handballing to 4 open players behind him. Will be a star but still needs to play the percentages.
*Murray is a dumb county footballer at times. That stupid act of throwing himself at the ball on the boundary line was idiotic and cost us a goal at half time. Was a tad unlucky but no need for it. Give Worrell a run.
*Keays kicking into our forward line is putrid at times. His ball winning ability is elite and if only he could kick better he would be would be an elite mid of the comp. Is still a very good mid but may need to handball more when entering the forward 50.
*Walker drags his misses left.
*Rowe is quite selfish at times. You want a goal sneak to be selfish as long as they have the ability.
*Berry was great. Love his attack on the ball and the kid will be a star. Unfortunately was a bit over zealous when he got concussed but a learning experience.
*Smith did some good things and some dumb things at times. Is quite overrated.
*Schoenberg good but needs to learn when not to take the ball and instead tap it to advantage. Needs to put some more muscle on but really happy with his development.
*We left goals on the table by not sharing it enough in the forward line and there is too much panic by some players at times.
*Thilthorpe's contested marking is needed up there.
*The weak links up forward are McAdam, Fogarty, Rowe imo. Fogarty does some good things, just not enough of them. My major concern is when the ball his the ground he lacks agility and pace.
*Bolton and Coleman-Jones would be good in the tri colours.
*Overall the first half was very good but if not for some poor defence and some wasted opportunities up forward it could have been really good.

Last edited:
Do the Giants and Suns not exist?

oh my, your need to support the club under any and all circumstances is purely pathetic. This is dumb, even for you. Current longest premiership droughts. Try thinking for once instead of just playing down our record over the last (here's your hint) 20+ years. Sinking in yet?

Yeah, good post. I remember two or three very good passes from Keays to Tex in the first 4 games, but I think I remember them so well because they were unusually good.
I think Schoenberg has the talent to be an elite outside mid at DE.
Maybe Sholl, too, but I'd like to see him muscle up a bit now that he's copping more attention.
A lot of our draftees have been slightly built (think: Jones, Sholl, and Gallucci before them). Jones still worries me --- I was hoping he'd develop into a Tyson Edwards-type, but something's missing.

Jones is a much more lineal player than Zooma. Some players play with a 360 degree range then there's those that are near enough to straight ahead, Jones much closer to the latter, Zooma the former.

Jones is a much more lineal player than Zooma. Some players play with a 360 degree range then there's those that are near enough to straight ahead, Jones much closer to the latter, Zooma the former.
Keays' lack of a decent right-foot kick just about halves that 360-degree range, wouldn't you say?
He spends a lot of time getting onto his left-foot because he has no confidence (justifiably) in his right.
I don't think he sprays the ball with his Left as much as people suggest in here, but his right-foot kicking is not AFL standard.
That mystifies me --- what are his Coaches doing, to help him with that?

Hence why we need a high end midfielder in this draft. Finishing 11th is pointless

It's why playing Mackay because they reckon he improves our chances of winning by a kick is stupidity. Or having Keays, Sloane and Laird hogging 80% of available midfield minutes for fear of being a couple of goals worse is stupidity. Coveting continuity for the same reason is stupidity. It's our strategy and selection philosophies that limit us, changing the coaches is just shuffling deck chairs as, by definition, they need to align with what presently exists.

No coach would get a gig standing in front of Chappy, Roo and Fagan if their presentation at any point highlighted areas where they consider the club regularly gets it wrong. Roo said it was a BBQ at his house that really impressed him and pretty much sealed the deal. You reckon there were any robust discussions where their philosophies on footy were at loggerheads. You can be certain that they would be in furious agreement on nearly everything.

Rewatched first half. Some observations:

*McHenry was very good. Thought the kid was a bust but he can play. Just needs to tidy up some of his kicking and put some weight and muscle on. Is quite quick.
*Sloane burnt McHenry on two occasions and seems to be playing dumb and selfish at times with hack kicks to no one. Does some good things but spoils it with lack of care for the footy.
*Laird did some good things but there was a passage where he should have gone on the inside to a player and went on the outside to McHenry who fumbled it and then should have handballed over his head or tapped it on and got done for throwing it.
*Seedsman is no forward. Not sure why is playing forward of the ball so much but is quite dumb when in the forward line. Waste's chances up there.
*Fogarty was a non entity first half. Dropped a sitter of a mark and went to bump instead of going for the ball on another occasion.
*Thilthorpe did some good things but burnt McAdam when he was open 20 out and on another occasion tried to take players on instead of handballing to 4 open players behind him. Will be a star but still needs to play the percentages.
*Murray is a dumb county footballer at times. That stupid act of throwing himself at the ball on the boundary line was idiotic and cost us a goal at half time. Was a tad unlucky but no need for it. Give Worrell a run.
*Keays kicking into our forward line is putrid at times. His ball winning ability is elite and if only he could kick better he would be would be an elite mid of the comp. Is still a very good mid but may need to handball more when entering the forward 50.
*Walker drags his misses left.
*Rowe is quite selfish at times. You want a goal sneak to be selfish as long as they have the ability.
*Berry was great. Love his attack on the ball and the kid will be a star. Unfortunately was a bit over zealous when he got concussed but a learning experience.
*Smith did some good things and some dumb things at times. Is quite overrated.
*Schoenberg good but needs to learn when not to take the ball and instead tap it to advantage. Needs to put some more muscle on but really happy with his development.
*We left goals on the table by not sharing it enough in the forward line and there is too much panic by some players at times.
*Thilthorpe's contested marking is needed up there.
*The weak links up forward are McAdam, Fogarty, Rowe imo. Fogarty does some good things, just not enough of them. My major concern is when the ball his the ground he lacks agility and pace.
*Bolton and Coleman-Jones would be good in the tri colours.
*Overall the first half was very good but if not for some poor defence and some wasted opportunities up forward it could have been really good.

I know why Seed is being pushed ahead of the ball where we know he's s**t.

Keays' lack of a decent right-foot kick just about halves that 360-degree range, wouldn't you say?
He spends a lot of time getting onto his left-foot because he has no confidence (justifiably) in his right.
I don't think he sprays the ball with his Left as much as people suggest in here, but his right-foot kicking is not AFL standard.
That mystifies me --- what are his Coaches doing, to help him with that?

i was commenting on you post that you thought Jones would end up a Tyson Edwards type. Nothing to do with Keays. His range is definitely less than 360 degrees.

Age will not weary him in those respects.
Yes, regrettably.

In a rebuild year, I'd prefer them to put games into, say, O'Connor or Newchurch (when he's ready) in preference to Mackay who should be our injury sub on a weekly basis. If Mackay's rookie replacement has a game as bad as Mackay himself, there are positives over and above playing Mackay:
1) they are getting invaluable AFL experience + travel + bonding, and
2) unlike Mackay, they will improve (one would think).
Mackay's best eg vs Melbourne in Round 10 is solid, but he has never been a game-changer or game-winner off his own boot/efforts. I like Mackay --- nice bloke and all, in fact I used to be a fan on the basis of the one or two really good things he can do/game --- and I respect his fitness and preparation, but his utter mediocrity and continued selection is as baffling as it is aggravating.
The coaches must see it too but WHAT IS IT
Good question, which many of us are asking.
The only thing I can think of is the professional example he sets in fitness and preparation. Mackay must have some influence and positive effect within the group that we cannot see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back