Greatest Dynasty of the 21st century - Lions vs Cats vs Hawks vs Tigers

Which dynasty is the greatest?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I do.

I need help learning to ignore the one-eyed ramblings of Hawthorn and Richmond fans here.

Laughing at you is more therapeutic, and far less time consuming!

You NEED approval, if you ignore everyone else what will you do?

“No shame” in losing a Grand Final by 56 points, but there is in losing a non-knockout away final against a higher ranked team by 15 points?

You're quite the expert at missing the point! I can tell you've developed that over a long period of time since you do it so consistently.

The 2010 GF was a replay. Whether they lost by 56 or 86, they still drew a grand final the week before. St.Kilda of 2010 went one step further than any other runner up of the past 43 years. The finals had to get extended by a week before they got beaten!

They were an experienced group of players, with a high pressure, defensive game style that proved successful at locking down finals opponents 2 years in a row.

Collingwood of 2010 were a brilliant team. Star studded line-up, with the best coach of my lifetime implementing a zone system that bamboozled teams. They knew the expanses of the MCG like the back of their hands.

Both teams were superior to the inexperienced Collingwood group of 2018.... who beat Richmond easily.

They're also vastly, vastly superior finals teams to Brisbane's young 2020 group, who beat Richmond by 15 after leading since the 2nd quarter.

As are Hawthorn 2008 in both cases.

We're now arguing over a sub point of a sub point of a sub point from where this started. You accepted some of my initial points and have failed badly at arguing others, because your black and yellow lenses keep getting in the way. Let's finish with a question.

What would happen to Richmond if they ever played an opponent as good as 2011 Collingwood?

We don't know, because Richmond’s never played anyone that good! But we do know Geelong went 3-0 against that Collingwood team, and finished them off with a comfortable Grand Final beating.

And we also know Richmond was tested every single week of the 2020 finals against opponents who aren't in the same stratosphere.

You do get the sense Richmond’s clock is ticking.

Summary- Geelong won the same number of flags as Richmond have. But they played much better finals opponents overall, and had a better finals percentage overall. At this point, they're the better finals team. The analysis gives a clear answer.

Richmond may change that in 2021. The odds are against them, but we'll find out next year.

Last edited:
PJays doesn't mean that if you can write 250 words in a post that it somehow legitmises what you say.

I can imagine Pjays barracking hard against the Tigers next year.

PJays doesn't mean that if you can write 250 words in a post that it somehow legitmises what you say.

I can imagine Pjays barracking hard against the Tigers next year.
I imagine almost everyone barracking against the Tiges next year.

I barracked against the Lions, Cats and Hawks. Bloody respected every one of them though.

People get sick of a side winning.

I imagine almost everyone barracking against the Tiges next year.

I barracked against the Lions, Cats and Hawks. Bloody respected every one of them though.

People get sick of a side winning.

True what you say. But there is barracking and barracking "hard", which is what Pjays will do next year. He's certainly shown his personality on this forum.

True what you say. But there is barracking and barracking "hard", which is what Pjays will do next year. He's certainly shown his personality on this forum.

I normally have no issue with people mounting spirited arguments to support a line of thinking. But this from PJays has descended to static-thought nonsense, bordering on some sort of obsessive trolling. You cannot advance a discussion that way. I have a policy of never blocking people as I like free-for-all discussion, believing if people don’t conduct themselves well they lose respect, and probably ultimately, self-respect. But this bloke is getting tough to read.

I am quite the expert at missing the point! I can tell you've I've developed that over a long period of time.

The 2010 GF was a replay. Whether they lost by 56 or 86, they still drew a grand final the week before. St.Kilda of 2010 went one step further than any other runner up of the past 43 years. The finals had to get extended by a week before they got beaten!

They were an experienced group of players, with a high pressure, defensive game style that proved successful at locking down finals opponents 2 years in a row. Then after that NADA. ZERO. CRAP TEAM.

Collingwood of 2010 were a brilliant team. Star studded line-up, with the best coach of my lifetime implementing a zone system that bamboozled teams to the point is what laughably bad. They knew the expanses of the MCG like the back of their hands = HAIR!

Both teams were superior to the inexperienced Collingwood group of 2018.... who beat Richmond easily. I mentioned this because I like to miss the point and be non-sequitir.

They're also vastly, vastly superior finals teams to Brisbane's young 2020 group, who beat Richmond by 15 after leading since the 2nd quarter. Remember I said vastly! I should've used bigly lke Trump does. They were Bigly superior!

As are Hawthorn 2008 in both cases. I just added something. Marajuna in the US will legal on a federal basis soon, I should have some!

We're now arguing over a sub point of a sub point of a sub point in a submarine.

What would happen to Richmond if they ever played an opponent as good as 2011 Collingwood?

Richmond would smash them. LOL.

And we also know Richmond was tested every single week of the 2020 finals against opponents who aren't in the same stratosphere, they're on a different planet, like me!

You do get the sense Richmond’s clock is ticking. But at least it's not broken like Chris Scott's!

Summary-
Geelong won the same number of flags as Richmond have. But they played much better finals opponents overall, and had a better finals percentage overall. At this point, they're the better finals team except when they lose to the worser teams like Hawthorn, Fremantle, Collingwood and Richmond.

Richmond can't change my mind, I support Geelong!

EFA

I normally have no issue with people mounting spirited arguments to support a line of thinking. But this from PJays has descended to static-thought nonsense, bordering on some sort of obsessive trolling. You cannot advance a discussion that way. I have a policy of never blocking people as I like free-for-all discussion, believing if people don’t conduct themselves well they lose respect, and probably ultimately, self-respect. But this bloke is getting tough to read.

He's not tough to read, you just need to see what he's really saying, see above.

Nothing like 3 flags to generate a bit of over confidence.

Count 'em.

a-season-with-richmond.jpg
stronger-and-bolder.jpg
Enu_rUgUcAUhEnj.jpg

Imagine round 1 is around the corner and you're scrolling through your team's fixture to start the season.

You begin playing someone from the bottom 4. In the next 4 games, you have a tough run. A couple of games against top 4 teams, another against a top 8 team. You finish playing the side on top of the ladder.

If you started 3-2 over those first 5 games with a healthy percentage, you'd be happy.

Now imagine you start with 4 games, and none of them are against top 4 teams. A couple are against mid tier sides in the 7-10 range, one's against a team who are 11th or 12th. Plus one game against a bottom 4 team.

Starting 3-1 with a lesser percentage wouldn't impress you too much.

There is one argument you could make in favour of Richmond over Geelong as a finals team that appears compelling at face value.

Richmond is 3-1, Geelong was 3-2.

This analogy illustrates why that isn't compelling, once you look past first glance and actually analyse what happened.

Last edited:
Imagine round 1 is around the corner and you're scrolling through your team's fixture to start the season.

You begin playing someone from the bottom 4. In the next 4 games, you have a tough run. A couple of games against top 4 teams, another against a top 8 team. You finish playing the side on top of the ladder.

If you started the season 3-2 over those first 5 games, you'd be happy.

Now imagine you start with 4 games, and none of them are against top 4 teams. A couple are against mid tier sides in the 7-10 range, one's against a team who are 11th or 12th. Plus one game against a bottom 4 team.

Starting 3-1 wouldn't impress you too much.

There is one argument you could make in favour of Richmond over Geelong as a finals team that appears compelling at face value.

Richmond is 3-1, Geelong was 3-2.

This analogy illustrates why that isn't compelling, once you look past first glance and actually analyse what happened.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the problem with using convoluted meaningless gymnastics to suit your arguments. Eventually they all trip over themselves.

And the problem with strawmanning is that anyone who's been following along the back-and-forth will notice what you're doing :thumbsu:

Cheers

And we also know Richmond was tested every single week of the 2020 finals against opponents who aren't in the same stratosphere.

They were tested in three of their finals. You’re kidding yourself about your team’s performance in the semi. The Saints were held at arms length all night.

You do get the sense Richmond’s clock is ticking.

Summary- Geelong won the same number of flags as Richmond have. But they played much better finals opponents overall, and had a better finals percentage overall. At this point, they're the better finals team. The analysis gives a clear answer.

Richmond may change that in 2021. The odds are against them, but we'll find out next year.

Yep. The clock is ticking. They’ve already had a golden run though. Anything else is gravy.

And no Geelong are not a “better finals team at this point”. 10-2 is better than 12-3, regardless of how you dress it up.

And no, the odds aren’t against them. They’ve literally got the shortest odds to win the flag of any team to win next year.

This thread is done.

What once prompted interesting analysis and debate has now descended into a tugfest between the lowest common denominator of Hawthorn and Richmond supporters who have an over inflated opinion of their own value by virtue of the achievements of the football teams they support.

Time to put a lock on it, mods.

They were tested in three of their finals. You’re kidding yourself about your team’s performance in the semi. The Saints were held at arms length all night.

You do realise that even if I concede this point, it does next to nothing for your overall argument, Yes?

And no Geelong are not a “better finals team at this point”. 10-2 is better than 12-3, regardless of how you dress it up.

What's your answer to the analogy of my previous post? Do you dispute the premises or the conclusion?

Premises I assume.

And no, the odds aren’t against them. They’ve literally got the shortest odds to win the flag of any team to win next year.

Maths isn't your specialty, we can tell...

Their odds are $4.

This means the odds are against them winning.

This thread is done.

What once prompted interesting analysis and debate has now descended into a wankfest between the lowest common denominator of Hawthorn and Richmond supporters who have an over inflated opinion of their own value by virtue of the achievements of the football teams they support.

Time to put a lock on it, mods.

You’ve contributed * all to this discussion mate. Then you want the thread locked over opinions you disagree with. Why are you even still here? You’re not adding anything. You’re just taking digs whenever people present an argument you don’t like.

just unsubscribe

You’ve contributed fu** all to this discussion mate. Then you want the thread locked over opinions you disagree with. Why are you even still here? You’re not adding anything. You’re just taking digs whenever people present an argument you don’t like.

just unsubscribe

Fadge is best put on ignore. Disgenious as they come.

You’ve contributed fu** all to this discussion mate. Then you want the thread locked over opinions you disagree with. Why are you even still here? You’re not adding anything. You’re just taking digs whenever people present an argument you don’t like.

just unsubscribe
More than happy to let others judge who has contributed more balanced and interesting analysis and debate to the thread between you and I.

You do realise that even if I concede this point, it does next to nothing for your overall argument, Yes?

What's your answer to the analogy of my previous post? Do you dispute the premises or the conclusion?

Premises I assume.

Maths isn't your specialty, we can tell...

Their odds are $4.

This means the odds are against them winning.

The odds are against them in the sense that the odds are against everyone winning. They’re still the favourites.

Your premise was that Richmond are ageing and other teams are now challenging them and they’ve apparently declined, making it unlikely they’ll win next year.

Yep. The clock is ticking. They’ve already had a golden run though. Anything else is gravy.

To be fair, the odds are against anyone winning a premiership at the start of as season, that's what makes winning them so important. Interestingly Geelong is favoured for the minor premiership. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back