Status
Not open for further replies.
Voss, Black, Power, Lappin, Acker
Ablett, Kelly, Bartell, Selwwood, Ling
Mitchell, Lewis
Martin

Hard to split the top 2.

Richmond not even close.

If you’ve got Kelly and Ling on that list, you gotta have Cotchin, Prestia and Edwards mate

At the end of the day winning a flag in an 18 team comp is much more difficult than a 16 team comp, just looking at those win numbers in that Cats era says to me there were 3-4 good teams and lots or very poor average teams. That doesn’t mean the top side in those years was better than today, it means they had so few contenders back then. As opposed to today with the competition very tough, hell ever the wooden spooners were a tough team to beat by seasons end.

Or does it mean that the talent pool in an 18 team comp has been diluted to an extent that is, in fact, easier to win in an 18 team comp?

Mitchell, Lewis
Martin

Hard to split the top 2.

Richmond not even close.
What more did Joel Corey have to do to get any recognition?

I know how good the Hawks were in 08. Remember they only lost by 11 points to the cats that season and finished with a percentage of 132%. They also had a much better finals series than Geelong. Not to mention the Bulldogs were hard done by umpiring in the prelim (it happened again the following year to the Dogs in the prelim against the Saints), so if the umpiring had been fair it could've been Bulldogs v Hawks in the Grand final in 08, a team the Hawks destroyed in the qualifying final.

The clueless used an Olympic analogies in this thread before, but we know home and away season is just a long qualifying round. The real sprints are the end of a season. We know this. You can win every.single.game.by.100.points but if the end you lose the Grand Final...

Usain Bolt in 08 Olympics was the fifth fastest overall in the first round of the 100m, and 2012 Olympic games was the ninth fastest overall in the first round.

Yeah that +2 differential the Dogs had in the 5 goal PF loss was all the umpires fault.

Dogs were 08 premiers basically

Yeah that +2 differential the Dogs had in the 5 goal PF loss was all the umpires fault.

Dogs were 08 premiers basically

Oh free-kick differential. So you actually don't watch games. Now I know why you have no clue.

On a sure note...

What was worse 2008 or 2020?

I'm going to go with 2020 since you've deleted 08 from your memory.

For me I have still haven't decided of 2008 or 2020 was worse for Geelong. It's line ball. Once I've worked it out I'll let everyone know.

How can it be easier to win in a more open even competition with more teams? It makes staying on top even more meritorious.
Previously more talent went to less teams making all teams harder to best

Mitchell, Lewis
Martin

Hard to split the top 2.

Richmond not even close.
3 things wrong with this.

1. Having some good midfielders is not a metric for whether a team is a so-called 'dynasty'. If you disagree, you are an idiot.
2. If you can't find room for Cotchin or Hodge in this list, you are an idiot.
3. And, well, you are an idiot.

Hmmmm....

Nathan Ablett got a game, he was about as good as a 1980’s Russian automobile.

Shannon Byrnes got a game.

Tom Harley was right at the end, not at his 23/24yo peak.

Max Rooke got a game.

Cameron Mooney got a game.

Which of those stroll into your 2020 team?

At the other end of it, in 2011....

Podsiadly got a game.

Trent West got a game.

Allen Christensen got a game.

150kg Josh Hunt got a game.

53yo Wojcinski got a game.

Brad Ottens played his final game.

Camoron Ling played his final game.

Milburn played his final game.

Mark Blake, jesus wept.

Are you telling me a lot of these players as they presented in those Grand Finals arewalking into your current team?
Our 2009 team had 17 players out of the 22 that were All Australian at some point in their career.....Every Premiership team will have the odd lucky player (Byrnes & Blake that year), but that team was as full of stars as you will ever see....Our team atm is a mix of stars (Danger, Hawkins, Selwood, Stewart & Duncan) & a lot of good ordinary league players, it’s why we play such a structured way compared to the 07-09 team, because back then our best was the best in the league....Atm that is simply not the case, we were literally one smother from not even having the double chance this season, in a way we did quite well to get where we got to.

How can it be easier to win in a more open even competition with more teams? It makes staying on top even more meritorious.

I agree with you that is harder- alot harder today to win a premiership today - with the 18 teams - and you have to get past that sudden death Preliminary final ( which if you look at the last 10 years has nearly been as difficult as winning the GF )- its like you have to climb Mt Everest to just get into the GF

You look at 2018 Rich were clearly the best team - i think 18-4 - sat on top of the ladder for the whole year basically - Haw with their 3 peat - im pretty sure they won 4 PFs by 6 pts or less - that sudden death PF is exactly that

You contrast that to the final 5 - the 2 teams who played in the 2nd semi - had 2 chances to go into a GF - win the 2nd semi and their straight in - lose - then theve still got another opportunity via a PF - and the minor premier only had to win 2 games to win the flag - not 3 - a hell of alot easier than todays finals format

Previously more talent went to less teams making all teams harder to best
That’s doesn’t make it harder than the same talent being spread amongst more teams making it more competitive. Also need to look at things like father sons and the bidding system now not enabling a team to pick a future hall of fame legend at pick 40. Everything now is done to even the competition and keep it close giving all teams a chance at having “their turn”.

NO NO NO... this is demeaning to all involved.. having said that I would take the Cats out because they aren't quite a three peat and yet neither are the tiggers even If it is three with a one and that is between the two and the one.. hmmm

eh the ones involved are the lions, and the hawks and well and well.. you have a diabolically ridiculous comparison which can't work...

I am not going into the kick percentage or the notion of how many frees were offered and paid, nor even the goal sneak who blew his stats with a ten in one game or another...

but it makes for entertaining reading people.. stats rule the roost..:cool::huh:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell, Lewis
Martin

Hard to split the top 2.

Richmond not even close.

‘Hawks of this era would have the forward six as the feature. Even discounting buddy.

Roughead, Gunston, Bruest, Rioli. Then rotate through a ruck/forward, Burgoyne, Puopolo. Fantastic numbers right there.

and as a terrorised Hawks fan, you’d put Chappy in their best

Although the back line could also be described as healthily adequate. Lake Gibson Stratton Hodge Birchall

leftover is Mitchell Shiels Lewis Hale (mentioned) Smith Hill

Last edited:
Oh free-kick differential. So you actually don't watch games. Now I know why you have no clue.

On a sure note...

What was worse 2008 or 2020?

I'm going to go with 2020 since you've deleted 08 from your memory.

For me I have still haven't decided of 2008 or 2020 was worse for Geelong. It's line ball. Once I've worked it out I'll let everyone know.

We lost two grand finals but Richmond haven’t played 2021-22 yet so I won’t know whether lost this one for at least two seasons

Yes I’d have thought if the umpires were favouring us hard it would have manifested itself in some realistic tangible fashion rather than just in a post online 12 years later

Oh that’s your mids for each team? Wow Martin must be the best of all time if he does it all by himself. The fact you have lewis but no Edwards or Cotchin tells me you don’t have much idea.
He's pretty close. Anyone else you can think of with 3 Norm Smiths?

Martin looks pretty comfortable alongside Carey, Ablett, Judd, Tuck and Mathews as GOATs

If you’ve got Kelly and Ling on that list, you gotta have Cotchin, Prestia and Edwards mate
I thought about it. But, having a list where Michael Voss and Dion Prestia are even in the same postcode would be obsolete.

May as well just list the entire playing group. lol

I've argued for Geelong in this thread. In my view they're easily the greatest team of the 4.

But there is one half-decent argument you can make for Richmond.

They've achieved their 3 flags in the most even period of AFL history, and they're the only ones not to receive any special leg ups from the AFL in terms of putting their team together.

Brisbane- Received 8 players from the Fitzroy merger, including Chris Johnson. And Jarrod Molloy, who they traded for Mal Michael in 2000.

Geelong- Got Ablett, Scarlett and Hawkins under the old Father-Son rule where they were selected in the 3rd round. Hawkins was a highly rated junior. Blake and Nathan Ablett are lesser knowns but also premiership players drafted under the old system.

Hawthorn - Got Hodge at pick 1 and Roughhead at pick 2 under the old priority pick system. And Xavier Ellis, an 08 premiership player.

Those rules that helped Hawthorn and Geelong have been significantly modified since, because they were so generous.

Richmond however, have received no such favours. Yes, they benefited from playing at the MCG in the VCAFL (Victorian Centric AFL) but they've put their team together with the current drafting, free agency, list management rules. Yes free agency is new but it certainly hasn't helped them like the above things helped Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn.

And Hardwick had to build his team in the era where GC and GWS got massive draft concessions, which were designed to make things easier for those teams and tougher for the other 16.

Last edited:
He's pretty close. Anyone else you can think of with 3 Norm Smiths?

Martin looks pretty comfortable alongside Carey, Ablett, Judd, Tuck and Mathews as GOATs

take a look at Matthews or even Bartlett’s goal tallies, are they worth considering? They are listed surrounded by goal kicking monsters.

We lost two grand finals but Richmond haven’t played 2021-22 yet so I won’t know whether lost this one for at least two seasons

Yes I’d have thought if the umpires were favouring us hard it would have manifested itself in some realistic tangible fashion rather than just in a post online 12 years later

You've come down the rabbit whole with me and now your arguments are like a psychedelic jumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back