Have Geelong become too powerful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really. Its not like GFC can automatically pick players from the local comp. It's not an Academy. For everylocal boy recruited by Geelong, there are more who end up elsewhere.

And then when they want to come home...

Local juniors have far better pathways available to them even if they don't go through the traditionally strong Falcons program compared to many other areas.

Just having St Joseph's in your background is a massive plus.

Your most dominant period in recent history your side was filled with players who played junior footy in the local Geelong comps.

Cats fans please feel free to correct me , was it the early 2000's and Geelong were an eye watering $7 mil in debt and Costa , Cook and ? Davidson made a pact to stay together until the debt was gone ?

I think the corner stone of their strategy was no silly trades and then some truly good father son picks in the draft came at the right time ,
they got the books in order and have been very sensibly managed ever since , well done to those three

They had their wobbly patch in 2006 , there was talk of Bomber Thompson and a players girlfriend , and had a club review kept Bomber booted cant kick Kingsley , Kingsley went onto do nothing and Bomber proved himself to be a top line coach , right move

Their drafting was consistently good , that took pressure off their trading which is also good and of course onfield success brings in the sponsors and supporters

in more recent times they traded up in the draft to get Max Holmes , we can say in hind sight was very astute and good talent spotting

we , the football world , don't want to punish them for being very good at maintaining their clubs list and finances
I want mine to do similar

but if they are ever proved to be cheating the salary cap , throw the book at them

plus they dont seem to have many disgruntled players leave the club , I remember big Mummy had to go to get more opportunity and it was the right move for him and not much the Club could do , so they must manage players expectations in terms of game time and dollars
This is a good read of Costa reflecting on what he and Cook had to wade through during that period.

Our recruitment zone was Bendigo. We no longer have that advantage.

Being in Melbourne is a disadvantage when you're in direct competition with 8 other clubs.

Not really when on a per capita basis you’re exposed to about 650,000 people each in Melbourne alone, let alone the other country areas of Victoria that aren’t geographically aligned to Geelong.

Just sounds like another excuse to me.

And then when they want to come home...

Local juniors have far better pathways available to them even if they don't go through the traditionally strong Falcons program compared to many other areas.

Just having St Joseph's in your background is a massive plus.

Your most dominant period in recent history your side was filled with players who played junior footy in the local Geelong comps.
Geelong has definitely maximised the "go home" or "stay home" factor. Why wouldn't you when you are in the window?

But as I said the list of Geelong area players who went elsewhere is probably bigger - Hodge, Maxwell, Walsh, the McCartin brothers, Primus, Scott Lucas, Steven Baker, Foley, Boak, Schofield, Delaney, Ed Curnow, Sam Lloyd, Ayce Cordy, Pittard, Cunnington, Devon Smith, Mason Wood, Taylor Adams, Rhys Mathieson, Charlie Curnow, Doedee, Parish, Witherden, Worpel, McHenry and more

Sure we lured some players (NOT LISTED ABOVE) back through trades or free agency.

I'm an ex St Joeys boy and rapt that "my school" has blooded some out and out champions of the game, but Haileybury, Xavier and interstate schools have done as well

Geelong has definitely maximised the "go home" or "stay home" factor. Why wouldn't you when you are in the window?

But as I said the list of Geelong area players who went elsewhere is probably bigger - Hodge, Maxwell, Walsh, the McCartin brothers, Primus, Scott Lucas, Steven Baker, Foley, Boak, Schofield, Delaney, Ed Curnow, Sam Lloyd, Ayce Cordy, Pittard, Cunnington, Devon Smith, Mason Wood, Taylor Adams, Rhys Mathieson, Charlie Curnow, Doedee, Parish, Witherden, Worpel, McHenry and more

Sure we lured some players (NOT LISTED ABOVE) back through trades or free agency.

I'm an ex St Joeys boy and rapt that "my school" has blooded some out and out champions of the game, but Haileybury, Xavier and interstate schools have done as well

You left out Ablett, Bartel, Long, Scarlett, Stewart etc

All benefited from the local football teams and programs before they hit the AFL.

The difference is Xavier has no links to any local AFL clubs.

The vast majority of Joeys players also come from local league clubs

By the time any junior players hit Falcons level they have already been exposed to playing in one of the strongest junior leagues in the state.

The fact you can reel off so many players that came from this region just proves the advantage of having it in your backyard. It has massive upside compared to what other clubs have at their disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really when on a per capita basis you’re exposed to about 650,000 people each in Melbourne alone, let alone the other country areas of Victoria that aren’t geographically aligned to Geelong.

Just sounds like another excuse to me.

You left out the part where Melbourne's demographics aren't all traditional AFL regions.

Geelong region IS an AFL Heartland.

Plenty of Melbourne suburbs are most certainly not.

So your 650,000 figure is meaninglessness if you don't factor that in.

You left out the part where Melbourne's demographics aren't all traditional AFL regions.

Geelong region IS an AFL Heartland.

Plenty of Melbourne suburbs are most certainly not.

So your 650,000 figure is meaninglessness if you don't factor that in.

Right. Probably why Newcastle, Canberra, Illawarra, Townsville have such a huge advantage in rugby league.

Because heartland

You left out Ablett, Bartel, Long, Scarlett, Stewart etc

All benefited from the local football teams and programs before they hit the AFL.

The difference is Xavier has no links to any local AFL clubs.

The vast majority of Joeys players also come from local league clubs

By the time any junior players hit Falcons level they have already been exposed to playing in one of the strongest junior leagues in the state.

The fact you can reel off so many players that came from this region just proves the advantage of having it in your backyard. It has massive upside compared to what other clubs have at their disposal.
I only listed the players we didn't get. I left out Dangerfield, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Rohan, Bruhn and Ollie Henry too.

I don't apologise for Geelong targeting locals. It makes good sense. The population of Greater Geelong and environs would be 300K.

GFC does not get preferential treatment, though, and it's not like they identify targets and hide them in cotton wool. They identified Jhye Clark in the last trade and were lucky he was still about when Pick 8 came up.

What do you mean by local players "benefited from the local football teams and programs before they hit the AFL." Doesn't that happen anywhere?

I only listed the players we didn't get. I left out Dangerfield, Dahlhaus, Higgins, Rohan, Bruhn and Ollie Henry too.

I don't apologise for Geelong targeting locals. It makes good sense. The population of Greater Geelong and environs would be 300K.

GFC does not get preferential treatment, though, and it's not like they identify targets and hide them in cotton wool. They identified Jhye Clark in the last trade and were lucky he was still about when Pick 8 came up.

Nobody said you have to apologise that you have a large advantage that many other clubs do not.

You're just very lucky you have it.

I can tell you as a fact that Jhye Clark had been on your radar way before he made it to draft age. I was told about him when he was 13/14 age level. Much easier to watch them when they are under your nose.

Nobody said you have to apologise that you have a large advantage that many other clubs do not.

You're just very lucky you have it.

I can tell you as a fact that Jhye Clark had been on your radar way before he made it to draft age. I was told about him when he was 13/14 age level. Much easier to watch them when they are under your nose.
Joel Selwood was too. He lived in Bendigo.

Gary Ablett Senior was on the Cats' radar in 1983 and he was living in Myrtleford

Reasonable summation. Not sure who 'Davidson' was but the stroke of genius was recruiting the best CEO, Brian Cook. He was able to negotiate a deal with the banks who were owed money, and he them devised the blueprint for player payments. It's no secret Cats stars were generally paid less than what they could command elsewhere.

Mummie was still on a rookie salary when he left. Swans must have offered him more than 5 times what he was on. Cats tsuck with Mark Blake, which in hindisght was a mistake.

We have to thank Richmond for Max Holmes. They traded a draft pick for a future pick enabling Cats to get Max

I took more note of him because of his time in the VFA
pretty sure he managed the football dept under those other two
and then you get Neil Balme to do that job LOL the Cats Tigers connection again

Cats happy with Holmes and Tigers happy with picks win win

Joel Selwood was too. He lived in Bendigo.

Gary Ablett Senior was on the Cats' radar in 1983 and he was living in Myrtleford.

Because the VIC clubs had their zones removed from them Selwood who'd have in the case of zone gone to Carlton.

Removing of zones impacted Geelong the least of the VIC clubs.

They still had plenty of inside running for their region that other clubs had lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back