Have you evee gotten over your team losing a Grand Final?

TheLoungeLizard

The world's most handsome man
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Newcastle United, New York Yankees
Thread starter #1
I saw a lost on the Hawks board when trying to find info on that Buddy article in the HS that said essentially after 2014 and 2015 he isn't phased by 2012 anymore.

So, I ask, do any Grand Final losses still hurt or annoy you?
Does it anger you that you let one slip or have you moved on?

Feel free to include Prelims (as funny, I'm over last year now completely, but it took the summer)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bostonian

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, in 99 we weren't the best team and the fact we'd broken all those Bomber fans hearts the game before meant there wasn't much expectation we'd actually win the GF anyway. All the laughs and good vibes one needs had already be had leaving a satisfied feeling regardless of the GF result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
MUFC, LAL, PSG
Moderator #13
1999 is the only GF I've seen Carlton lose.

I still consider us to have won it all that year given what we did the week prior. :)

JackFlash

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills, Melbourne Stars
Nope, i will never get over any Grand Final loss! I have never watched any of them on replay and if they ever come on Fox Footy i immediately change channels. This whole competition is about winning and i have witnessed only three great seasons in my entire life...You can still have an analytical viewpoint on how your team is progressing, but ultimately what we all want is Premiership success! There is no substitute.

Yidaki

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Last year was hard, but I am ok with it now. Truth is West Coast played better for the majority of the match deserved the flag. They also had a ripper of a season. I don't really care about the whole Sheed incident (whether it was a free or not). I can just appreciate how good of a goal it was given the situation. Furthermore, I feel that the end margin probably could have been three goals if the Eagles were accurate. We had a great year and to come within one kick of the the flag is a pretty good achievement. No one expected us to even be there.

2011 on the other hand hurted more. But I have moved on from it. At some point you have to. The team that wins deserves it in the end. So Geelong deserved the 2011 flag. This is the same with the Lion's flags in the early 2000s. That's how I move on quickly from the losses.

With all this said, I will never ever watch any GF replay in which my team lost. Just too painful.

Last edited:

Dazzler10

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast have lost 3 Grand Finals. I am very very fortunate as a supporter that they have followed up 2 of those losses with a win the following year, with the 3rd loss being cancelled out just 3 years later with a win. So personally I have a feeling that things have balanced themselves out and feel no hurt about our losses.

silverscope

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
I've moved on. It sucks we lost especially considering we had every opportunity to win but couldn't convert on the scoreboard. These things happen in sports and other opportunities will present it self.

Truckosaurus

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
1991 rankles as a point of pride about some of the crap the early Eagles had to go through.
2005 can be viewed as the one that got away, but that'd probably have just meant we imploded in 2006 rather than 2007.
2015 is embarassing more than anything, although the players clearly learnt from the experience.

Carringbush2010

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Pffft............. I barrack for Collingwood, in my life I've seen us in 10 gf's for 2 wins. I'm used to us playing off in the big dance and that's how we win them, by sheer weight of numbers!

We've already played off 4 this century alone, 5 if you count the draw - only wc and hawthorn has matched that.

I'm forevee getting over those losses knowing that eventually the damn wall busts because we keep getting there.

Dazzler10

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Pffft............. I barrack for Collingwood, in my life I've seen us in 10 gf's for 2 wins. I'm used to us playing off in the big dance and that's how we win them, by sheer weight of numbers!

We've already played off 4 this century alone, 5 if you count the draw - only wc and hawthorn has matched that.

I'm forevee getting over those losses knowing that eventually the damn wall busts because we keep getting there.
5 (6 with the draw)

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town, Las Vegas Bears
1999 is the only GF I've seen Carlton lose.

I still consider us to have won it all that year given what we did the week prior. :)
Still one of the greatest finals performances ever, that one - the ONLY negative though is that it probably caused 2000.

But that takes nothing away from the game itself :)

I'll never get over 2004 - not solely missing the 4 peat, but losing to Port is the real burn. I hated them with a passion that bordered on madness before then.

Top Bottom